Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we so relaxed about Potter going to Everton ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The lack of time argument/issue is the same for every single international manager though.

I personally feel Potter is well on his way to being the England coach and will be well suited to it. At Brighton he has shown tactical nous and awareness, adaptability and the total being far greater than the sum of the parts. I certainly think he’s capable of identifying a set of players who he feels have the best chance of being able to follow and/or adapt to his ideas….which surely is what international football is all about?

Southgate is contracted till 2024, and depending how the next couple of tournaments pan out, he may well feel he's had enough by then. Do you think Potter will be looking to jump ship from the Premier League in 2 years time to take over England ? (He's contracted to BHA till 2025). Whats the rush ? Potter is 46. I think he'll have at LEAST one more PL job before he starts considering England.

Southgate also had 3 years coaching the U21's before he took the step up (and it would've been a fair bit longer too, had BFS not been caught running his mouth off whilst chugging pints of Blue Nun). I don't see Potter being dropped straight into the England dressing room without having had that initial grounding within the FA. Then there's the factor of whether the England players would take much notice of a bloke who spent most of his playing career at York and Macclesfield, followed by a few relegation scraps with Brighton (present season excepted).

I'll be GOBSMACKED if GP is the England manager within the next 5 years. But if he is, at least we'll have had a fun ride.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It’s a step down currently. Historically Everton are much bigger, but even being richer doesn’t mean anything in todays landscape. Everton are no more likely to win something ever again than us. Unless he’s offered a job at one of the clubs that are state funded, it’s all immaterial really.

Until China buys them, the toffee men are stuck with the rest of us also rans.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Southgate is contracted till 2024, and depending how the next couple of tournaments pan out, he may well feel he's had enough by then. Do you think Potter will be looking to jump ship from the Premier League in 2 years time to take over England ? (He's contracted to BHA till 2025). Whats the rush ? Potter is 46. I think he'll have at LEAST one more PL job before he starts considering England.

Southgate also had 3 years coaching the U21's before he took the step up (and it would've been a fair bit longer too, had BFS not been caught running his mouth off whilst chugging pints of Blue Nun). I don't see Potter being dropped straight into the England dressing room without having had that initial grounding within the FA. Then there's the factor of whether the England players would take much notice of a bloke who spent most of his playing career at York and Macclesfield, followed by a few relegation scraps with Brighton (present season excepted).

I'll be GOBSMACKED if GP is the England manager within the next 5 years. But if he is, at least we'll have had a fun ride.

No idea about timing other than I imagine it will be down to circumstances and later rather than sooner. That wasn’t my point though.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
Potter won't be offered a job that will tempt him away ( Man Utd, Liverpool etc. ) other than the England job after Southgate.

It'll be England that poach him and after that he'll walk into any top tier job shortlist.

This is how I see it also. Convinced he’ll be the next England manager. He’s like a much better Southgate - similar man management skills but MUCH better tactically. He gave an answer a while back which suggested he’d be interested as well. Pleased Southgate extended - hopefully he does well enough at the next WC to stay on a couple more years.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea

But if you look at it the other way round, who is likely to be ahead of GP when Southgate goes? Smug Eddie will be lucky to still have his head attached to his body if he takes the Saudis down. Dyche? Rafa? Boothroyd? A lot can change in a couple of years, but right now he’s shaping to be the outstanding candidate by a country mile…

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It’s a step down currently. Historically Everton are much bigger, but even being richer doesn’t mean anything in todays landscape. Everton are no more likely to win something ever again than us. Unless he’s offered a job at one of the clubs that are state funded, it’s all immaterial really.

Until China buys them, the toffee men are stuck with the rest of us also rans.

Even Evertonians recognise how we’re a far better bet just now.

102BA340-2295-4E9C-AC3D-50ACEA669BBA.png

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

I agree.

- Potter loves working with players every week.
- He’ll want to win something with a club, at the very least test his skills in the CL.
- At the same time avoiding clubs with a sacking, reactive owner (Levy) or strife ridden (Everton).

I can see him as an England coach, but much later in his career.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
But if you look at it the other way round, who is likely to be ahead of GP when Southgate goes? Smug Eddie will be lucky to still have his head attached to his body if he takes the Saudis down. Dyche? Rafa? Boothroyd? A lot can change in a couple of years, but right now he’s shaping to be the outstanding candidate by a country mile…
There might not be anyone ahead of him in the mind of the FA when they start looking for the next England manager - but whether they'll get him is another question altogether!

Maybe after the one after the one after the one after Southgate.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think Everton could sell the job very well

new stadium,bigger transfer funds

he left Swansea,ambitious fella obviously

I can see Everton becoming the new noisy neighbours,all this will coincide with Klopp leaving Liverpool

If Everton really want him,he'll take some keeping in my view

Not so sure he would have left Swansea if the job had matched the job description.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
I think the FA have eyes on him for certain. There is nobody else I would pick to replace Southgate at this moment in time and if the World Cup goes badly for Gareth he might find himself being offered the gig quicker than we might think!

Everton though, no chance!

Last trophy, FA cup, 1994-5. Twenty two years ago. Since then the FA cup has been won by Portsmouth and Wigan.

Everton have never won the League cup.

OK, 14 top ten finishes in the last 10 years does represent some sort of dogged achievement, albeit nothing to inspire or thrill; not champagne, and barely a football semillon.

I am not so sure they want a Mourinho-style instant revolution there, now. I doubt they really know what they want, to be honest. Perhaps they may decide that building a club is The Thing :shrug:

That said, you're probably right, and they will indeed behave like a whizzed-up teenager looking for a foxy opportunity near chucking out time at the Top Rank ballroom, when they swoop to appoint a new supremo :lolol:.

14 in 10 years is more than an achievement, it's a mathematical miracle!

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Everton were what GP might call 'well-run' under Moyes, with a very extensive scouting system, decent youth policy and a sensible chairman. Their community programmes and former players' association are widely admired. Since Moshiri arrived, everything has been short-term and a blueprint for how not to run a club. It's pretty obvious that GP's praise of what goes on at Falmer and Lancing was a direct answer to the Everton question.

Last edited:

The red pepper kid

Dec 30, 2014
Potter loves the club, the job, and the away fans !
Booing was too much and Potter rightly told us so , he is grounded and enthusiastic . We have come to expect too much - mainly due to how well we are playing - long may it continue

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
To answer the original question I am relaxed for two reasons:
1. He won't go for all the reasons already discussed.
2. If Potter does leave (now or some time in the future) the club will have a successor in mind and offer them all the same behind the scenes support to allow them to succeed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here