Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we so relaxed about Potter going to Everton ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Potter won't be offered a job that will tempt him away ( Man Utd, Liverpool etc. ) other than the England job after Southgate.

It'll be England that poach him and after that he'll walk into any top tier job shortlist.

I don't see it. Potter is in his first PL job, and it clearly won't be his last. His methods wouldn't be easily transferable to International football either - he needs time with the players to instil his mentality and style of play, and you just don't get much of that running England. I think he needs - and wants - the day-to-day involvement on the training field that club football gives him.

He'll move on to a bigger club than BHA at some point, but I just don't see him being interested in England once Southgate slopes off.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
I think Everton could sell the job very well

new stadium,bigger transfer funds

he left Swansea,ambitious fella obviously

I can see Everton becoming the new noisy neighbours,all this will coincide with Klopp leaving Liverpool

If Everton really want him,he'll take some keeping in my view

Reckon Klopp for Everton would be popular! Sure Klopp said Everton were a small club somewhere?

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
But let's face it,GP won't be at Brighton forever in a day

True I doubt he will do an Alex Ferguson, however I can see him being around for a number of years. One of the best owners in the PL/EFL, which lends itself to a very well run club with reasonable expectations (excepting a few self entitled "fans" booing), young family growing up on the south coast, wife with a local business etc etc.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Last trophy, FA cup, 1994-5. Twenty two years ago. Since then the FA cup has been won by Portsmouth and Wigan.

Everton have never won the League cup.

OK, 14 top ten finishes in the last 10 years does represent some sort of dogged achievement, albeit nothing to inspire or thrill; not champagne, and barely a football semillon.

I am not so sure they want a Mourinho-style instant revolution there, now. I doubt they really know what they want, to be honest. Perhaps they may decide that building a club is The Thing :shrug:

That said, you're probably right, and they will indeed behave like a whizzed-up teenager looking for a foxy opportunity near chucking out time at the Top Rank ballroom, when they swoop to appoint a new supremo :lolol:.

Even worse, 27 years ago.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If he thinks the Everton job is appealing right now he’d be a moron. We know he’s not.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
OK, 14 top ten finishes in the last 10 years does represent some sort of dogged achievement, albeit nothing to inspire or thrill; not champagne, and barely a football semillon

Are you kidding? They’ve successfully bent the space-time continuum to snaffle four extra rounds of prize money. That’s genius!

D

Deleted member 2719

Potter is a very logical bloke, but he can think laterally which is what makes him really special in my eyes.
I have more faith in him than any manager we have ever had.

Could he be our Fergie, Wenger???

Last edited by a moderator:

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
Greatly astonished that there's no great #PotterOut uproar over how in his great list of all the great things about the great club he didn't mention "great fans". What an awesome answer though.

Yeah I noticed that too. GP still p**sed off with our fans for the booing a few games back. Hope that isn't the straw that drives him away, so to speak. Bad fans hang your head in shame. You know who you are (West Upper, row J)........???

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
His project isn't complete until a few thousand Albion fans get drunk in Prague ( 1-1).

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Yeah I noticed that too. GP still p**sed off with our fans for the booing a few games back. Hope that isn't the straw that drives him away, so to speak. Bad fans hang your head in shame. You know who you are (West Upper, row J)........???
I wouldn't read too much into it. From a manager's point of view, the fans are probably one of the things that changes the least club to club, and almost certainly wouldn't impact their decision to take a job/leave a job.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
😂 That did make me laugh. Shouldn’t have really as the posting style suggests to me that he/she is somewhat on the spectrum? 🤷*♀️

Really? If so I'd be happy to apologise (not least because I am way out there, myself, as you perhaps know. Or perhaps not.).

Perhaps he can PM me, if the case. I have had to apologise to a couple of other chaps over the last year who I dug out without realising where we were, and rightly so.

I do draw the line at Potteroutery, though. Spectrum or not. FFS :shrug:

Edit: he can't PM me if I have him on ignore, though. Decision, decisions. ???

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Judging by how the team has played since WSU row J did everyone, Inc GPott, a favour.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I don't see it. Potter is in his first PL job, and it clearly won't be his last. His methods wouldn't be easily transferable to International football either - he needs time with the players to instil his mentality and style of play, and you just don't get much of that running England. I think he needs - and wants - the day-to-day involvement on the training field that club football gives him.

He'll move on to a bigger club than BHA at some point, but I just don't see him being interested in England once Southgate slopes off.

The lack of time argument/issue is the same for every single international manager though.

I personally feel Potter is well on his way to being the England coach and will be well suited to it. At Brighton he has shown tactical nous and awareness, adaptability and the total being far greater than the sum of the parts. I certainly think he’s capable of identifying a set of players who he feels have the best chance of being able to follow and/or adapt to his ideas….which surely is what international football is all about?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don't want to stir up a hornets nest but I think we should be a bit careful here.
I don't think Potter would leave us for Everton but it is silly to say he definitely would not go if offered the job.
Absolutely zero loyalty in football we have all seen many managers leave for other clubs when they should not have gone.
The reason we think he would not go is because we have a very good manager and we are fans.
He would be stupid to leave for Everton though.
I

I what? Claudius? Roy? Jarzif? Braineater?

:wink:

One agrees with your points, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSqJ--vi30A

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here