Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are We Now LUMBERED With Hemed And Baldock Up Front Next Season?

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
You can't knock Hemed for his contribution this season but for me Baldock is not up to scratch. Any striker that only scores 4 goals in a season has to be questioned - work rate alone is not enough. I've seen Ross MCormack work hard in games but look how many goals he scores !

i don't buy this argument about how successful we've been when they've played as a pair - Hemeds goals have largely come from other sources on the pitch.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The surpise from the OP is that he hasnt said that we are lumbered with Stockdale Bruno Dunk Goldson ..... on the basis that there are better players available if we have sufficient funds.

However the real question is one of team chemistry. So we go out and get a striker who scores 40 league goals. Brilliant some would say promotion guaranteed.
However how many goals are being scored by the rest of the team or being conceded.
With Zamora and Wilson gone we need quality forwards on the bench and to stand in for injuries and liss of form.

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Can't see any UK club south of the border cherry-picking either of them. One's not very mobile, one's not very brave. Both are so-so.

How do we now progress to The Promised Land with those two still on the books as the partnership of choice up front?

I'd sadly suggest we can't.

Would it be barbed or barbless hooks you favour? What a peculiar post. PMT perhaps?

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
We need to avoid wholesale changes to the squad. We are losing 2 out of 4 strikers already. I suggest that the two we bring in just need to be first choice. Hemed and Baldock as 3rd & 4th choice is decent enough.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
Sorry, but to me that's just irrelevant stats. Analyse who scored the goals. Where's Baldock's striker's contribution apart from running off/away from the ball and shirking out of tackles?

Their stats are facts and not irrelevant like me saying your opinion Is not valid, which it is as it's normally quite sensible.
If we had not a game with them together logic says 1 more game together would have seen us promoted.
I've not said your wrong But who said 2 new strikers would not come in and be 1st choice. If so I'd take a 17 goal striker and his side kick 3rd and 4th any day
As it is I said there is a Baldock improvement out there but i think we would be hard pushed to find a 17 goal striker for 1 million

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
So: to sum up:

1. Hemed holds the ball up well

2.Baldock runs off the ball and creates space well

Simple question, post-Barnes era, has to be asked: who are these no-marks actually holding the ball up and running off the ball FOR?

WELL? ???

I'd go along with points 1. and 2. -- although Hemed does plenty more than that. I'm not entirely sure I've quite grasped your question, but I'll have a go: Hemed holds the ball up for Baldock, Wilson, Zamora, or one of the advancing midfielders; Baldock's movement creates space for those others to exploit. It's contributed to us being leading scorers in our league.

I'm of the view that our forwards are actually the weakest part of our squad but, then again, we're extremely strong everywhere else, especially midfield.

I'm also of the view that Hemed and Baldock will make a very decent contribution next season, provided they are supplemented by two other forwards, one of which needs to be of proven ability. I suspect Hemed will start most games next season, as he's adaptable and able to play with a smaller, pacier player (Baldock, Wilson) as well as with a bigger, stronger more traditional centre forward (Zamora), while Baldock will more likely have to contribute from the bench in most games (unless he substantially improves his goals-to-minutes-played record).

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Delighted to have both as part of our 4 forwards set up next season, although i expect both to get less game time and have much stiffer competition for places.

Both have limitations, I would say Hemed had a pretty good first season in English football and we ran him into the ground at times.
He will be a better player next season.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Can't see any UK club south of the border cherry-picking either of them. One's not very mobile, one's not very brave. Both are so-so.

How do we now progress to The Promised Land with those two still on the books as the partnership of choice up front?

I'd sadly suggest we can't.

Would it be barbed or barbless hooks you favour? What a peculiar post. PMT perhaps?

I really struggle with these kind of replies. What exactly are you adding to the debate? The OP has formed an opinion. I do wonder about people's ability to form their own opinion instead of attempting to belittle with no input.

Personally I can't agree about Hemed, he has done what he has been paid to do this season and score 17 goals. I still think we can do with a striker that can score 20 with Hemed backing up with his contribution, that, in my opinion can't be berated.

I do agree that Baldock has just not come up to scratch regarding his goal tally. He is paid to score goals and he just doesn't seem to have the instinct at this level. I find it difficult to add into the equation his running off the ball, etc. And I read somewhere someone saying that he hasn't had many chances to miss. I'd prefer he did, because it would show he has the presence to be in the right place. Sadly he rarely seems to be in that right place to miss or score. For me personally, he is no more than a bench warmer in the higher echelons of the Championship.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Am I right in thinking that Hemed has scored more goals in one season than any other albion striker in the Amex era?

I believe that is the case... believe it or not, more than the absolutely unbeatable demi-god that is Barnes...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here