Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we destined to become a 'selling club'?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In addition, they sold Ings to a direct rival. Whilst you could argue that we did the same with Burn, I doubt very much that Tony would sell to team outside the top 4 if we wanted the player to stay. Also - selling most of your players to a single club (Liverpool in the case of Stains) is a big no-no for me. I can’t see us doing that.

Didn’t most of the Saints players throw hissy fits and threaten to down tools? VVD and Lallana I seem to remember did, but I wasn’t following it all that closely

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If only we had signed more players like Locadia, Andone, Jahanbaksh then this problem wouldn’t exist. #BloomOut #BarberOut #PotterOut #SackTheBoard

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
We have been a selling club since as long as I can remember. Ward, Stephens, Lauro, Robinson etc, etc.
However, which club isn’t a selling club? It’s a fundamental part of the game. Only difference is, can the club survive without sales or can a club afford to run down a contract to nothing?
We don’t NEED to sell but we do, because we cannot afford to lose a player on a free, we don’t have the squad to bench a player for a season and we can find someone to fill the spot.
Very few clubs can afford to the the above, but why should they do that? No one throws away money unless it’s out of spite.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
we are the pic and pay to the likes of spurs but i hope we **** them over at least once next season ....i really don't like them and i know 3 or 4 of their geezer fans who are propper shitespagles.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
we are the pic and pay to the likes of spurs but i hope we **** them over at least once next season ....i really don't like them and i know 3 or 4 of their geezer fans who are propper shitespagles.

I'd have thought superb expressions like this should be saved for the Palace thread?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
If only we had signed more players like Locadia, Andone, Jahanbaksh then this problem wouldn’t exist. #BloomOut #BarberOut #PotterOut #SackTheBoard

I expect the recruitment team of the time had zero experience of their equivalent of a major lottery win. Hence, like many major lottery winners, they just pissed it up the wall

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I'd have thought superb expressions like this should be saved for the Palace thread?
i only know one Palace fan and he's just a crack smoking div who has caused me no end of grief when i have left him to do rudimentary stuff that your average chippy would eat , his apology was to give me two 150 watt B&W speakers and an Onkyo amp , 3k worth ....strange bloke , it's amazing what crack does to your brain.
palace are a bit strange , yids are orrible , tight arse . loud mouth twatts ....to a man. in my experience.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
We're a "player-improving, asset value-increasing" club.

That’s exactly it. To me the expression “selling club” means HAVING to sell your best players, even if you don’t want to and can’t afford to in footballing terms, in order to survive.

I think most people would agree we have improved and developed greatly most players who have come to us. If Cucurella were to leave, it would be because Citeh pay what we want to receive, and noises are beginning to come out that they will be put off by £50m. The BBC gossip thing this mornings Adidas much, then went on to link Citeh with another left-back.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
He’s just bothered about the best talent no longer being concentrated at Real Madrid and Barcelona. I don’t remember any complaints from him when their clubs dominated football. Likewise Man U and Arsenal. I am in no way sticking up for Man C and PSG but I will not take these complaints seriously until the proposal is to make the entire game a level playing field. Until then it’s just bickering about the identity of top dog.

I agree with this. It's all a bit Magna Carta. They don't care about the peasantry.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
And if he hadn’t scored a few worldies late on in some games, would we have still got 6th?

I bloody loved those goals and his shitehousery, especially at Palace.

Those goals will live long in the memory for me, I am a Maupay fan but worry that he’s on thin ice as a first choice going forward (I hate that expression but am struggling to think of a better one) because as you say he does miss too many relatively simple ones by PL standards.
Granted he scored a few trouble is he doesn’t improve, you could stick him in the Man City squad and he would still score eight goals a season.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Until White and Bissouma, I don’t think we’ve sold a first team player since Ulloa in about 2014. We’re now in a position where we only sell first team players for a top price, and to be fair, even Ulloa was top money at the time (10M from memory). Truth is every club is a selling club if a player either runs down their contract or refuses to sign a new one, and are then offered a bigger pay cheque. UTA.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The very top of the tree, and was nice to see Liverpool getting a taste of that with Suarez and Coutinho.

Suarez was moved on in disgrace after after another biting offence at the world cup. Liverpool always have moved players on and refreshed the squad - Kevin Keegan, Robbie Fowler and Michael Owen, for example, all in their prime, as were Fernando Torres and Coutinho.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
True, I honestly believe that Liverpool didn’t want to sell Mane.

I'm not so sure.
Their front 3 is coming to the end of their natural cycle.
Shirley it's better to rinse and repeat one at a time - evolution not revolution.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
I'm not so sure.
Their front 3 is coming to the end of their natural cycle.
Shirley it's better to rinse and repeat one at a time - evolution not revolution.

You are spot on. Liverpool are not like city, united, chelsea etc. They will not break their wage structure for anyone. We didn’t want to lose Mane, but we were not prepared to pay neatly 400k a week for him, which is why we bought Nunez in. The same reason Salah will go next season. He wants 400k a week but he won’t get it. He will wait and get a £30m signing on fee, maybe. It’s ok, the Reds will love them both forever, but will move on.
As mentioned in another thread, that’s the reason why Liverpool are not a selling club out of need, just when it’s best for the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here