Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we destined to become a 'selling club'?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Every member of the squad has a value to the club which is impacted by a range of factors, Selling Bissouma might mean we value Trossard a little higher next week, but if the club feel that they can recoup a good sum for an individual they will do so. Our challenge is to ensure that the squad quality doesn't drop significantly in the longer term, Caicedo will get more game time and develop to reduce the gap but ultimately we hope he will surpass Bissouma. Age is a huge factor in the value of a player, in 2019 we signed a Championship CB for £20m to replace our Player of the season and broke up the D&D partnership at a time where many thought we may lose one of them to a bigger side, However 3 years later that looks like a genius move.

Money doesn't buy you a readymade superstar, the Premier League is full of players who haven't adapted. We have a model to buy very talented youngsters and give game time to anyone who is good enough to be involved in the squad knowing that when our better players reach their peak and are identified by others to be poached that we have players waiting in the wings ready to play. Some positions we are ready to replace from within but others we would need a stop gap or replacement to be signed

I do wonder how much of this is dependent on a coach as good as Potter.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
That's the model though. Buy at reasonable prices, develop outstanding talent, sell talent on and unearth another gem, rinse and repeat

That is the model . Brighton can hopefully remain a successful PL club but expecting it to compete with the salaries offered by the big 6 ( Who are global brands ) plus Newcastle now isn’t going to happen . To remain a well run club , Brighton has to operate within its budget and hopefully be self funding within the next few years .

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
1) How do you know? The club never say how much any transaction is. That said it's quite feasible that with add ons the combined sale could well be 100m.

2) They cost us a combined 30m. We've got way more value out of them than that.

3) You're on a lot of these threads making comments about how we're not getting value. Whether it's squad players, first teamers, star players or development squad. Presumably you think we should be getting more and should be doing something different? What exactly is it that you'd do that Bloom and co aren't?

Oh FFS! This is a football forum where football fans (or in this case, Brighton fans) discuss their views on football!

When the 'Bissouma gone for £25M' came out, many people expressed disappointment. Not a damning criticism of the club, or Bloom doesn't know what he's doing, we know better - what bollocks! Of course he does and we don't. But we were disappointed with £25M (and Spurs fans were similarly delighted, thinking Levy had done well to turn us ver0. Do you seriously think everyone who was disappointed with the figure of £25M is an idiot who thinks they could run the club better? Geez! :facepalm:

It later emerged that the figure was £30M+, which was much better - although a lot less than figures which had been speculated over the course of Biss's rise to CL quality. With reference to the OP to which I replied about getting £100M for Biss and Cucu - well, we've got £30M* for Biss, but no way are we likely to get £70M for Cucu - so ho £100M total. That's not a criticism - it's a fact of life!

Earlier, there was legitimate discussion about whether we could or should have pushed the Saudis a bit further for BDB. Like I say, discussion on a football forum.

* Of course, none of the sums have been confirmed - all undisclosed, but the discussion is based on commonly agreed guesstimates. It may be that we secretly got £50M for Biss rather than £30M - but I very much doubt it. Don't you?

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
I have no problem with being a selling club as long as we aren't a selling at low value club. Looking back at the Soton model, they made north of £375m from a handful of players over a 10 year period between 07/08 and 17/18. Two of the windows involved 0 sales and this was also the period the club double dropped and came back up again. So that's pretty good business considering the on-field issues they found themselves in.

What we need to guard against is selling players like Dan Burn to clubs like Newcastle for £7m less than we should have done. Depending where you read, Biss' transfer to Spurs could be as low as £22.5 million. The higher end of speculation is a rather more appropriate £30m + add ons.

I suppose we're still showing the industry that we are the place to go when a top club needs a competent player and perhaps the best way to do that is by selling at a competitive price until we have established a reputation. Hopefully we won't have a trip to league one and back in that time.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
* Of course, none of the sums have been confirmed - all undisclosed, but the discussion is based on commonly agreed guesstimates. It may be that we secretly got £50M for Biss rather than £30M - but I very much doubt i?
?? With add-ons then it’s not that far fetched that we will end up getting close to £100m in fees for Biss/Cucurella given even the lower end reports of Biss deal were £35m in total and it’s not hard to see Albion holding out for something like a fee £55m and some decent add ons for Cucurella and City paying it. But yes - who knows in the end and perhaps it’s far short and either way I’d say Bloom is getting the best possible deal . You don’t but that’s fine too !

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
In order to be a selling club, we have to be a buying club, and although I don't like seeing great players move on, every White, Biss and Cuc, Sanchez, Lamptey, Caicedo , Alimac etc that goes to a top European Club is just further confirmation to every up and coming young talent around the world, that a move to Brighton is probably the best they can hope for :albion:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Silly thread, of course we are, we have also been known to buy players.

Shock Horror, Knickers in a twist, same as virtually every other club on the planet.

We can never compete with state or Oligarch run clubs, but 99.99% of the clubs in the world can't.

No fret, we are in the healthiest state this club ever has been, sure someday we will fall from grace, do not get hung up on joining the top table and then complain we are a feeder club. it is what it is, just enjoy the ride...

Last edited:

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Reading this thread has cheered me up . I was saddened by yet another gossip column comment that Cucu is a target for a big club.
The positive view on this is better, although I would like to see him stay at least another year .

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
Why all reference to BHA being small club. We have some best away supporr in PL. If we hold onto players i really couldnt care less how fail a medixal injury until vultures fvck off we can get into Europe in we push on. So close last season. Its achievable.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Reading this thread has cheered me up . I was saddened by yet another gossip column comment that Cucu is a target for a big club.
The positive view on this is better, although I would like to see him stay at least another year .

Same here - would 100% prefer him to stay (ideal for me would be another stellar season for us and then a ridiculous transfer fee next summer after Pep goes back to the City board saying 'see, I told you he was the mutts nuts, I HAVE to get him here'), but if he wants to go now and the price is right then take the money and move on. We'll be alright, we're in good hands. As with Biss, grateful to have had the chance to see a top, top player playing for us at a key stage of their development

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
What we need to guard against is selling players like Dan Burn to clubs like Newcastle for £7m less than we should have done.

We signed Dan Burn for £3.2m and sold him for £13.5m. We made a £10.3m profit and I understand that Wigan got 20% of that profit. Therefore we effectlively sold him for £11.44m, making a more than 250% profit on an uncapped and unlikely to ever be capped now 30 year old.

Biss was signed for £15.12m. If we sell him for the upper end of reported fees £35m and don't pay Lille any add ons, we'll have made a 131% profit. Fairly healthy for a player in the last year of his contract, but, in percentage terms, much less than we made on Burn.

Nobody in the world of football except some Brighton fans thinks that Dan Burn was sold on the cheap. Tell a lie, there was one man: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/c72344rxw8xo

Everybody who repeats this nonsense about Newcastle fleecing us should be made to write: "I agree with Garth Crooks" before they say it.

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
Like everyone else (I think), I'd prefer us to keep Cucu if possible. The news of his likely departure was a bit upsetting - but then I remembered feeling upset when we lost Elliot Bennett to Norwich and Leonardo Ulloa to Leicester. The fact that it's Champions League teams coming after our players now is a real measure of how far the club has come.

Football's reality is that almost every club is a "selling club" in the right conditions, it just depends on who is knocking on the door and how big their bag of cash is.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Every club is a selling club, except possibly the top two or three on the planet. How we bought and sold Bissouma is pretty much the perfect model for us. Cucurella feels frustrating as he's only played one season, but if we can get silly money for him then we should absolutely take it. We'll find another one, and finding a decent full-back is about a million times easier than finding a decent striker.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Oh FFS! This is a football forum where football fans (or in this case, Brighton fans) discuss their views on football!

When the 'Bissouma gone for £25M' came out, many people expressed disappointment. Not a damning criticism of the club, or Bloom doesn't know what he's doing, we know better - what bollocks! Of course he does and we don't. But we were disappointed with £25M (and Spurs fans were similarly delighted, thinking Levy had done well to turn us ver0. Do you seriously think everyone who was disappointed with the figure of £25M is an idiot who thinks they could run the club better? Geez! :facepalm:

It later emerged that the figure was £30M+, which was much better - although a lot less than figures which had been speculated over the course of Biss's rise to CL quality. With reference to the OP to which I replied about getting £100M for Biss and Cucu - well, we've got £30M* for Biss, but no way are we likely to get £70M for Cucu - so ho £100M total. That's not a criticism - it's a fact of life!

Earlier, there was legitimate discussion about whether we could or should have pushed the Saudis a bit further for BDB. Like I say, discussion on a football forum.

* Of course, none of the sums have been confirmed - all undisclosed, but the discussion is based on commonly agreed guesstimates. It may be that we secretly got £50M for Biss rather than £30M - but I very much doubt it. Don't you?

No, I don't think everyone who thinks 25m is low is an idiot. I was asking you specifically because you're on a lot of threads saying you don't think we're getting value for players x,y,z(and no, I'm not calling you an idiot for thinking that either).

So 30m+ for Bissouma? Say 35m(or maybe even more) once add ons have been factored in? That's possible, no?

Which leaves Cucurella. I posted the figures in a post on the Cucurella thread but I'll post them here again so my reasoning is clear.

This is what Man City have spent on their current defenders:

John Stones 50m 2016
Kyle Walker 50m 2017
Benjamin Mendy 52m 2017
Aymeric Laporte 57m 2018
Jaoa Cancelo 60m 2019
Ruben Dias 61m 2020
Nathan Ake 41m 2020

The only player there who cost less than 50m is Ake. He was bought from Bournemouth after they got relegated and was bought as a back up centre half. So 41m for a reserve being bought from a club that was selling from a weak position.

We are not selling from a weak position. We neither want to or have to sell and the player has four years left on his contract. When you weigh it all up 50m is on the low side. I think we can expect more than 50 m and also add ons. In that case a total of 65m is quite feasible. Put that with the quite feasible 35m for Bissouma and you get a quite feasible 100m.

I think it's a fair point to make when someone is confidently saying that Biss and Cucurella are 100m of talent that we're not going to get 100m for. Especially when no bid has been received let alone accepted for one of those players,and when that person has posted on numerous other threads about players leaving for less than they should. It's also fair to ask in that case what they would be doing differently as they appear to think the club is consistently selling players below their value.

Some might say that was trying to have a discussion about football on a football discussion site.:shrug:

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
And indeed some of the big 6 are themselves selling clubs when it comes to massive offers from European giants. It is the nature of thing. Would I rather we kept our best talent long-term? Absolutely. However, if the business model continues to deliver successful, enjoyable to watch football then that's a very, very decent position to be in. Especially when you consider that not that long ago, we were excited when we signed anyone and the concept of having a saleable asset was somewhat pie in the sky.

I remember thinking we were back in the big time when we signed Paul Kitson. The club didn't stand in the way of his dream move to Rushden & Diamonds though.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Mane only gone for 2 million £ more up front because, well, that's the market value for world class players who are about to run down the last year of their contract. Blame Bosman, not Tony.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Why all reference to BHA being small club. We have some best away supporr in PL. If we hold onto players i really couldnt care less how fail a medixal injury until vultures fvck off we can get into Europe in we push on. So close last season. Its achievable.

‘Small club, big club.’ It doesn’t mean anything outside of fans’ egos. Some kind of weird reflected glory on their own lives. I suppose this was always going to happen to a part of our support at some point in the PL. Let’s park the ‘deluded Leeds fans’ thread though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here