Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Are we destined to become a 'selling club'?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
So are you depressed because we aren’t big six or big ten ? You yourself have said it’s the big six that will buy our best players. No-one at the club has ever talked about being big six.
Football clubs buy and sell footballers.

You're putting words in my mouth. As others have said, it is galling that as soon as we develop a top talent who starts attracting attention, the likes of City swoop in just because they can.

By 'selling club' I meant a club that develops players to sell them on but often stagnates or goes backwards because they don't hold on to their best performers.

As much as it's 'the model', it's not exactly easy to replace players of the quality of Biss and Cucu and is very dependent on having a superb recruitment and coaching set up. Now Ashworth's left, I do wonder how our recruitment will suffer.

I guess we have to accept that's the way football is and will always be, but we don't have to like it. It's going to make it very difficult to make any further progress in this league.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Unless you can start to scrape into Europe consistently and have an alternative mega income stream (like Leicester have) then that’s exactly what we’ll be. And that’s fine, it’s the modern world.

Dunk and March may well be the last “lifers” we have.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
You're putting words in my mouth. As others have said, it is galling that as soon as we develop a top talent who starts attracting attention, the likes of City swoop in just because they can.

By 'selling club' I meant a club that develops players to sell them on but often stagnates or goes backwards because they don't hold on to their best performers.

As much as it's 'the model', it's not exactly easy to replace players of the quality of Biss and Cucu and is very dependent on having a superb recruitment and coaching set up. Now Ashworth's left, I do wonder how our recruitment will suffer.

I guess we have to accept that's the way football is and will always be, but we don't have to like it. It's going to make it very difficult to make any further progress in this league.

But that’s what we have done to other clubs to get these players in the first place. Neither Bissouma nor Cucurella came through our youth system. We waltzed in and speculatively bought because we could.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Everyone has their price sadly. I'm sure we'll unearth some gems to replace anyone we sell. We work the loan system to let our players develop elsewhere as well as anyone.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Thought this was quite interesting from the president of La Liga, urging Uefa to curb the spending of 'state-owned' football clubs. The more the talent becomes concentrated at the top clubs, the less competitive the leagues are and the less interesting it becomes for the fans.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/61827672

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Thought this was quite interesting from the president of La Liga, urging Uefa to curb the spending of 'state-owned' football clubs. The more the talent becomes concentrated at the top clubs, the less competitive the leagues are and the less interesting it becomes for the fans.

The same La Liga clubs that buy and sell their training grounds to and from the local council on a regular basis, surely not?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

He’s just bothered about the best talent no longer being concentrated at Real Madrid and Barcelona. I don’t remember any complaints from him when their clubs dominated football. Likewise Man U and Arsenal. I am in no way sticking up for Man C and PSG but I will not take these complaints seriously until the proposal is to make the entire game a level playing field. Until then it’s just bickering about the identity of top dog.

Vaughan Storm

May 21, 2020
Worthing
As mentioned earlier, every team is, it's inevitable, you grow a good player and then a big team snatches them off you, I've said in previous threads that I think we'll struggle next season but we seem to go in alternate year cycles in that in an even season eg. 21-22 19-20 we seem to do a lot better than odd seasons eg. 20-21 18-19

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He’s just bothered about the best talent no longer being concentrated at Real Madrid and Barcelona. I don’t remember any complaints from him when their clubs dominated football. Likewise Man U and Arsenal. I am in no way sticking up for Man C and PSG but I will not take these complaints seriously until the proposal is to make the entire game a level playing field. Until then it’s just bickering about the identity of top dog.

Real Madrid and Barcelona hate this man. Wage caps, more even distribution of money, and he was also very much against the European Super League. Hardly someone running Real & Barcas errands.

The same La Liga clubs that buy and sell their training grounds to and from the local council on a regular basis, surely not?

Real Madrid did that once like 20 years ago. The whole "a club in your country once sold their training ground to the council, so you can't complain about mass murderers and oil states buying football clubs" reasoning is pretty weak.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Real Madrid and Barcelona hate this man. Wage caps, more even distribution of money, and he was also very much against the European Super League. Hardly someone running Real & Barcas errands.

Real Madrid did that once like 20 years ago. The whole "a club in your country once sold their training ground to the council, so you can't complain about mass murderers and oil states buying football clubs" reasoning is pretty weak.

Time to introduce the NFL draft system Swansperson, that way your beloved Stockport County can experience the PL one day and BK Örnen Örnsköldsvik the Allsvenskan

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Thank you for the info. I made a lazy assumption. He sounds like a football administrator I would agree with. Bit of an outlier in today’s football ‘industry.’

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I guess we're never in the medium term going to finish any higher than a very flattering 9th. If we finished 8th or 7th it wouldn't make a huge lot of difference EPL prize-wise. So... Selling Club it is, same as it ever was, short of a massive injection of funds by a sovereign nation or criminal oil state

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Through my 60 years as a supporter we have been mostly a buying club - buying mostly moderate talents, hacks & journeymen.
It barely impacted my enjoyment even though, in terms of league position and to borrow a cricket metaphor, we only occasionally managed to trouble the scorer.
However on the odd occasion that we did develop a real talent (Saunders, Ward, Zamora, Stevens, Lawrenson…….) they were inevitably sold in pretty short order.
We’ve risen in the pecking order for sure but not a great deal has changed - its not so much “destined to be” but - in terms of talent - always have been

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

I feel your pain; I have supported the Albion for nearly sixty years and it often seems the big clubs just get bigger (and in some cases dodgier) year on year. 'Pundits' like Merson and O'Hara constantly speak about their former clubs hoovering up our best players as if the Albion is merely is a footballer shop, without the slightest regard for the sensitivities of supporters like you and me.

But....

We do not have the seemingly limitless resources of these clubs (and their dubious owners) and frankly I am pleased we avoid such entanglements; in some ways such ownership steals their identity. If we are to reach an even higher level then I hope we do so without selling out.

And....

When a player (or other valuable employee like Dan Ashworth) wants to go, then it's time to get the best possible deal and move on. Of course the professional and financial aspirations of any Albion player is an important factor too. The club could easily get a reputation for holding a player back from fulfilling his potential.

So...

It feels bad at the moment but I think that Tony Bloom is better suited to playing this game than was say Southampton in the past. I feel through him we can maintain the integrity of the club and have a high level of success.... let's see!

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I guess we're never in the medium term going to finish any higher than a very flattering 9th. If we finished 8th or 7th it wouldn't make a huge lot of difference EPL prize-wise. So... Selling Club it is, same as it ever was, short of a massive injection of funds by a sovereign nation or criminal oil state
If Maupay hadn’t of missed every sitter that came his way we could of nicked 6th this season.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If Maupay hadn’t of missed every sitter that came his way we could of nicked 6th this season.

And if he hadn’t scored a few worldies late on in some games, would we have still got 6th?

I bloody loved those goals and his shitehousery, especially at Palace.

Those goals will live long in the memory for me, I am a Maupay fan but worry that he’s on thin ice as a first choice going forward (I hate that expression but am struggling to think of a better one) because as you say he does miss too many relatively simple ones by PL standards.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Not exactly a one off

https://www.theversed.com/32754/rea...pensed-by-the-spanish-government/#.9bI0BJyCgQ

https://www.theversed.com/32754/rea...pensed-by-the-spanish-government/#.9bI0BJyCgQ

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

palace would have finished above us were it not for Maupay.

I'd have thought the peace and quiet around here, this summer, would be enough of a repayment to be worthy of wiping the slate clean.

I guess I must be new here.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Through my 60 years as a supporter we have been mostly a buying club - buying mostly moderate talents, hacks & journeymen.
It barely impacted my enjoyment even though, in terms of league position and to borrow a cricket metaphor, we only occasionally managed to trouble the scorer.
However on the odd occasion that we did develop a real talent (Saunders, Ward, Zamora, Stevens, Lawrenson…….) they were inevitably sold in pretty short order.
We’ve risen in the pecking order for sure but not a great deal has changed - its not so much “destined to be” but - in terms of talent - always have been

"Pretty short order" wasn't as short in those days as it is now, that's clear. Lawrenson played for us for four seasons, Stevens ditto, Ward similar, Bobby Z three. But I agree that the main difference is that we often bought average players or those on the way down. The difference now is that we have more players who are actually worth big money.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
This is what Southampton were particularly good at until recently. They shipped out Van Dijk, Mane, Lallana, Shaw, Lovren in short order but replaced them with very average personnel, be they cut price bargain basement transfers or not up to scratch players from their development squad.

I trust that we don’t encounter the same problem.

In addition, they sold Ings to a direct rival. Whilst you could argue that we did the same with Burn, I doubt very much that Tony would sell to team outside the top 4 if we wanted the player to stay. Also - selling most of your players to a single club (Liverpool in the case of Stains) is a big no-no for me. I can’t see us doing that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here