Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are the disabled trying to run the country??

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Also by handing the trains back it puts the onus on the owner of the trains not SWT to fund the required changes.

Superphil said:
I am curious to know what part of the DDA stipulates the size of the lettering. I do a lot of work to assist businesses comply with DDA in relation to their signage. There is NO specification in the DDA for signage, sizewise or otherwise.

All that is mentioned is that "appropriate signs" should be used, but at no stage does it state what an appropriate sign is. Therefore we have to use our experience to advise on and make "appropriate" signs.

In the case of these signs there seems to be a stipulation which I have never read. ??? Perhaps there is more to this than just 3mm.
Phil -

It's Part Five of the DDA that applies to vehicles used for public transport. Under Part Five of the Act, specific Regulations have been made for trains, buses and taxis. These Regulations cover a range of specific transport issues relating to vehicles, not just signage, but the whole spectrum of accessibility issues, such as wheelchair access, seat sizes, ramp design, grab rails, gangway and door widths, audible announcements, etc etc.

As far as trains are concerned, it's the Rail Vehicle Accessibility Regulations 1998 that apply.

Things like stations, bus stops and so on are covered by the main part of the DDA that applies to all other places with public access.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Lord Bracknell said:
Phil -

It's Part Five of the DDA that applies to vehicles used for public transport. Under Part Five of the Act, specific Regulations have been made for trains, buses and taxis. These Regulations cover a range of specific transport issues relating to vehicles, not just signage, but the whole spectrum of accessibility issues, such as wheelchair access, seat sizes, ramp design, grab rails, gangway and door widths, audible announcements, etc etc.

Things like stations, bus stops and so on are covered by the main part of the DDA that applies to all other places with public access.

Gentlemen, GENTLEMEN, let's not fall out over this.

Let's just all agree that goldstone is being selfish and heartless.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
goldstone said:
What's all this bloody nonsense about trains having to be taken out of service because the typeface on the information screens is 3mm too small to comply with disability regulations. Has the world gone mad?

Apparently the rules are contained in the Disability Discrimination Act 2005.

How many disabled people are there in this country? Are we really willing to let them rule the fu**ing place? This is absolute crap.

And what's the cost to the average taxpayer? Bloody enormous. How much taxpayers money is spent on putting ramps at every intersection in every town?
How much do shops and restaurants have to spend providing disabled access?
Thousands of seats have been removed from trains to make room for disabled lavatories.

I'm very sorry that some people are disabled. Sh1t happens. But I don't see the need for the rest of us to suffer the cost and inconvenience of trying to make everything "disabled freindly" for a small minority of the population.

Rant over.

Goldstone - I am classed as disabled. I have lost part of my hearing when I was 19, just as I started Uni, for no apparent reason. I don't expect the country to stop in it's tracks to 'pander' to my every whim. Some people face huge disabilities, which makes everyday life almost impossible, not to mention the pyschological effect it has on them....

There is no need to take that sort of attitude. This 'shit happens' attitude, just goes to show what a pathetic individual you really are, if you can't give and take a little and be sympathetic. How would you feel if you read your statement, and the boot was on the other foot?

I am not adovcating taking trains out of service, but don't you think these issues are important? Rules are there to be kept and if the trains do not keep to them, then that is the companies fault, not the disabled people!

Making things, as you so eloquently put it, 'disabled friendly' for the minority of the population, is very important. I watched a programme a while ago, and this man in a wheelchair was turned away from restaurants and night clubs because they didn't have the facilities to cope and would not allow him to be carried up the stairs, due to health and safety...

If you are worried about your tax money going to waste, by the building of ramps etc. then you really are a detestable character.

I personally couldn't really careless if you think of me as just a minority group. We are very lucky to have an infrastructure to cope with disabilities. I spent some time in Africa and visited numerous Schools for the Blind. They are pretty much confined to the schools as they would not survive on their own.

Goldstone, some people may be extremely offended by what you have written. People that rely on ramps in town, or large writing in trains to carry on with every day life. Think before you speak, if that is possible.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
When Junior broke his leg the Theatre Royal would not relocate us to the end of an aisle so he coudn't go to "The Witches".

This was only a temporary issue for him but certainly opened up my eyes to how difficult it must be when disabled.

B.M.F

Aug 2, 2003
wherever the money is
Re: Re: Are the disabled trying to run the country??

BarrelofFun said:
Goldstone - I am classed as disabled.

Just because you are green does not mean you are disabled, maybe just a little envious:lolol:

As in Green with envy and not envious of the disabled.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Re: Re: Re: Are the disabled trying to run the country??

B.M.F said:
Just because you are green does not mean you are disabled, maybe just a little envious:lolol:

As in Green with envy and not envious of the disabled.

:lol:
You shouldn't joke with me. Goldstone would probably think I would try and string you through court! :jester:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Pleased I was able to start an interesting debate here. One or two people certainly took the bait.

It's a subject that needs more discussion.

I've just had a deeper look into the issue of these specific trains.

They fail to meet the Disability Discrimination Act standards not just because the signs are wrong, but also because the doors fail to meet the standard and the toilets are inadequate.

Two of the units currently operated by South West Trains are in line for transfer to Gatwick Express. Gatwick Express and Porterbrook (the leasing company that actually owns the trains) have managed to put together a successful application to allow their two trains to remain in service until 2011, with appropriate modifications to satisfy the authorities that a reasonable level of accessiblity will be offered.

South West Trains haven't bothered to come up with any proposals at all to achieve what Gatwick Express have shown can be done.

Apart from a whinge to the media, of course.

Tossers!

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
goldstone said:
Pleased I was able to start an interesting debate here. One or two people certainly took the bait.

It's a subject that needs more discussion.

:lol: Slightly better ways of going about it!! It does need more discussion. Ignorance breeds contempt!

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Lord Bracknell said:
South West Trains haven't bothered to come up with any proposals at all to achieve what Gatwick Express have shown can be done.

Apart from a whinge to the media, of course.

Tossers!

Amen! I thought their price hike, would more than cover alterations.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
With THIS, the disabled really could RUN THE COUNTRY

http://www.tankchair.com/default.htm

Tank Chair is a Custom off-road wheelchair that can go anywhere outdoors. Conquers Streams, Mud, Snow, Sand, and Gravel, allowing you to get back to nature, and can also climb up and down stairs.

home.jpg

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
SWT are anal as a company, I sincerely hope they lose that franchise.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
goldstone said:
What's all this bloody nonsense about trains having to be taken out of service because the typeface on the information screens is 3mm too small to comply with disability regulations. Has the world gone mad?

Apparently the rules are contained in the Disability Discrimination Act 2005.

How many disabled people are there in this country? Are we really willing to let them rule the fu**ing place? This is absolute crap.

And what's the cost to the average taxpayer? Bloody enormous. How much taxpayers money is spent on putting ramps at every intersection in every town?
How much do shops and restaurants have to spend providing disabled access?
Thousands of seats have been removed from trains to make room for disabled lavatories.

I'm very sorry that some people are disabled. Sh1t happens. But I don't see the need for the rest of us to suffer the cost and inconvenience of trying to make everything "disabled freindly" for a small minority of the population.

Rant over.

You absolute tosser

OK mate....you are in a wheel chair.....explain to me how you get on a Ex Thameslink train at east croydon station where the platforms are such that there is a gap of 2 feet and 2 feet high from the train?

Think outside the box for once in your life.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Re: Re: Are the disabled trying to run the country??

Starry said:
Wow. I'm alright Jack, so sod everyone else.

Sad.

I was denied Dragon Software for a year because the version couldn't recognise scouse or irish accents at uni.

Is that an I'm all right jack attitude in wanting to help as many people as possible.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Not the disabled running the country - step forward Looney :ohmy:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
looney said:
What the f*** are you on about dickhead.:angry:

I rest my case