Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are the disabled trying to run the country??

Superphil said:
Thanks for that Ed, as I thought, a little more to it than just 3mm.

I take the DDA seriously, as I said, part of my job is in the production of signage for DDA complaince, which covers everything from wheelchair route signage to signs designed for maximum legibility including Braille and tactile signs (used frequently in trains). I refer to the RNIB sign design guide for guidance, but in relation to the product we make, it is down to our experience and judgment as to what passes for "DDA compliant".

In the case of these trains it appears that the operator/owner has been negligent in its responsibility to make the trains suitable.

It comes as no suprise as, in the case of the signs, they cost a lot of money, clients rarely budget accordingly, and if they find out they have bought the wrong thing, they simply won't or can't buy the signs again.

Instances like this are beneficial to make organisations comply, but taking the trains out of service is the action of incompetent buffoons with little or no sense of priority.

The owners/operators should be taken to task and an example made of them. No point fining them, as that will lead to them justifying higher ticket prices, but the directors of the companies can be punished, and that is what must happen.

:clap:

And to the fascists who posted check your facts b4 slagging off people who only want the same access to a service as you and I. And as Lb has also stated, providing access for disabled means better access for children, parents, the elderly. That is all of us at same point in our lives.???

It is a disgrace that these "improvements" are only happening now. Disabled people haven't just materialised. Access to buildings, trains, buses, shops etc should have been established decades ago.

I just have no idea how mums for instance used to travel around with their young children, the London buses would have been a nightmare.

LC

Last edited:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
And what is more disgracefull is the fact the these organisations have had since 1991 when the DDA was compiled and introduced (not October 2004 when many people seem to think the DDA came into force).

They have sat on the their arses avoiding making the invesment, taking bad, or no, advice, and in some cases simply refusing to do it, and then try to use the bureaucracy to cover up their incompetance.

The cost of making new signs/notices will be not insignificant, however, if they had just taken the advice that is readily available in the fist place there wouldn't be an issue.

:(

London Calling said:
I just have no idea how mums for instance used to travel around with their young children, the London buses would have been a nightmare.

LC
In my opinion, London buses still present problems to parents with pushchairs/buggies.

Transport For London's insistence that all buses should have a centre door (to speed up boarding and alighting, by providing separate doors for each activity) has the effect that just one wheelchair/buggy space is available.

This means that, when one buggy is already on the bus, subsequent buggies have to be folded and babies carried in the arms. Exactly the sort of "nightmare" that LC has identified.

Brighton buses, on the other hand, with their single doors, have capacity for about five or six buggies (or a combination of wheelchairs and buggies). And - as any regular bus user will have noticed - haven't parents taken advantage of this?

As a member of the DPTAC Committee's Bus Working Group, I was personally involved in the great debate with TfL about this, just before the regulations were finalised. I'm still convinced they got it wrong. But hey! - who am I in an argument with Ken Livingstone?

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Lord Bracknell said:
But hey! - who am I in an argument with Ken Livingstone?

You are the slightly "Santa Claus" looking one. :dunce: or possibly :unclesam:

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Goldstone, you really are a xxxx.

Emily's Mum

Jul 7, 2003
In the jungle, aka BFPO 11
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Are the disabled trying to run the country??

looney said:
Hardly likley as not only does the disability allowance pay more than your dole rate chester, they quite often have support from the council and funding for essential journeys.

Not all disabled people are on benefits or receive any financial help. I'm disabled, I work for the government at just above the minimum wage and use public transport - at full cost.

I have just finished a 1000 mile round trip using buses, trams, trains & planes. Staff employed by all companies I've used have been fantastic, it's the selfish minority of the travelling public whomake life difficult.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Blimey, Top bouncing BOF.

Nov 27, 2009
What's all this bloody nonsense about trains having to be taken out of service because the typeface on the information screens is 3mm too small to comply with disability regulations. Has the world gone mad?

Apparently the rules are contained in the Disability Discrimination Act 2005.

How many disabled people are there in this country? Are we really willing to let them rule the fu**ing place? This is absolute crap.

And what's the cost to the average taxpayer? Bloody enormous. How much taxpayers money is spent on putting ramps at every intersection in every town?
How much do shops and restaurants have to spend providing disabled access?
Thousands of seats have been removed from trains to make room for disabled lavatories.

I'm very sorry that some people are disabled. Sh1t happens. But I don't see the need for the rest of us to suffer the cost and inconvenience of trying to make everything "disabled freindly" for a small minority of the population.

Rant over.

What a complete and utter foul mouthed discriminatory biggot you are!
There are so many people with disabilities, who are unable to choose a free moving a life as you, yet you moan about minor frivolities.

Do you rip wings off butterflies as well, to satisfy your anger.

I hope you catch or suffer from something serious soon, and then you see things from someone with a disabilities perspective.

Have a short life you wanker!

hitony

Administrator
Jul 13, 2005
South Wales (im not welsh !!)
What's all this bloody nonsense about trains having to be taken out of service because the typeface on the information screens is 3mm too small to comply with disability regulations. Has the world gone mad?

How many disabled people are there in this country? Are we really willing to let them rule the fu**ing place? This is absolute crap.

And what's the cost to the average taxpayer? Bloody enormous. How much taxpayers money is spent on putting ramps at every intersection in every town?
Thousands of seats have been removed from trains to make room for disabled lavatories.

I'm very sorry that some people are disabled. Sh1t happens. But I don't see the need for the rest of us to suffer the cost and inconvenience of trying to make everything "disabled freindly" for a small minority of the population.

Rant over.[/QUOTE]

I doubt you are sorry.

And not the best or wisest rant i have seen on NSC.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom

Rant over.

Probably already been suggested but maybe you should spend a week with a disabled person.

The more this country does to encourage integration the less ignorant, small minded pricks there will be like you. Which incidentally was probably the same argument used in the 50s and 60s for black people.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham

Rant over.
Don't rant....Just pray that YOU are never disabled....then we'll see if sh1t happens......

LE19

I wonder what the record is for a thread being randomly bounced? Six years is awesome, and some of the current posters haven't even noticed!

And, for the record, this stuff isn't just for the "disabled", unless (for example) you include most people over 40 with corresponding decline in vision as "disabled".

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What a complete and utter foul mouthed discriminatory biggot you are!
There are so many people with disabilities, who are unable to choose a free moving a life as you, yet you moan about minor frivolities.

Do you rip wings off butterflies as well, to satisfy your anger.

I hope you catch or suffer from something serious soon, and then you see things from someone with a disabilities perspective.

Have a short life you wanker!
and breathe

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here