Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are the disabled trying to run the country??

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
There's two sides to the story. Classic example of the press turning a story on its head.

Yes the trains don't comply with the disability laws, but the trains are leased from a finace company and not owned by SWT so SWT are not going to pay for them to be bought up to standard.

SWT were not responsible for the design of the trains, and don't want to lease the trains anymore as they are too expensive and basically crap and riddled with faults, so need a way out of the leasing contract.

This disability issue gives them the excuse they have wanted and have now gone and ordered loads of brand new rolling stock to replace the junk they have been stuck with for the past seven years.

Yet another example of the cock up that was rail privatisation.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Superseagull's quite right - although it's a bit harsh to blame the press for it.

I saw a BBC report last night that made it perfectly clear that SW Trains were using this as an excuse to shelve some rolling stock that had been causing them problems. If people choose to ignore the real story, that's scarcely the press's fault.

Ccider

Jul 28, 2004
50:51:35N 0:08:58W
Lord Bracknell said:

My guess is that this particular train operator has a poor record in meeting the needs of disabled people and that DPTAC will have reached the point at which they are saying "Enough is enough". Hence the Committee's refusal to grant an exemption in this particular case.

So why don't they whack a real hefty fine on the operator and continue to let ordinary people use the trains?

???

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Disabled "running" the country?, only an ignorant fool would come up with a line like that.

All disabled people ask for is a level playing field, not special treatment.

"But I don't see the need for the rest of us to suffer the cost and inconvenience of trying to make everything "disabled freindly" for a small minority of the population." ... dear, oh dear oh dear.

Let's hope you never have to spend anytime in a wheelchair and have to suffer the the cost and inconvenience of trying to get round town using public transport.

.. and as posted the above, the trains were coming out of service anyway and its given them a convenient excuse to spped the.process up.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Ccider said:
So why don't they whack a real hefty fine on the operator and continue to let ordinary people use the trains?

???

...as if on cue. I couldn't think of a better way of proving my point (although I'm aghast at the idea that disabled people aren't 'ordinary').

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
I've been looking at it from a different perspective, why are disabled people discriminating against me. I want one of them electrical kart things, but nooooooooooooo, just because I'm able bodied and can walk places. The world has gone mad.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Les Biehn said:
I've been looking at it from a different perspective, why are disabled people discriminating against me. I want one of them electrical kart things, but nooooooooooooo, just because I'm able bodied and can walk places. The world has gone mad.

You can still buy one. We paid a small fortune for a special chair for Anastasia.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Starry said:
You can still buy one. We paid a small fortune for a special chair for Anastasia.

Can you really buy them? I might have to invest. How much are they?

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
Les Biehn said:
Can you really buy them? I might have to invest. How much are they?

Yep. An able bodied person can buy one.

I think they start about about £600.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Starry said:
Yep. An able bodied person can buy one.

I think they start about about £600.

I was only joking obviously but I didn't know you can actually buy them.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Tom Hark said:
could solve Brighton & Hove's traffic problems at a stroke if exery TAXPAYER was issued with one and forbidden to bring their cars into town
it would certainly make seven dials roundabout more interesting :lolol:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I am curious to know what part of the DDA stipulates the size of the lettering. I do a lot of work to assist businesses comply with DDA in relation to their signage. There is NO specification in the DDA for signage, sizewise or otherwise.

All that is mentioned is that "appropriate signs" should be used, but at no stage does it state what an appropriate sign is. Therefore we have to use our experience to advise on and make "appropriate" signs.

In the case of these signs there seems to be a stipulation which I have never read. ??? Perhaps there is more to this than just 3mm.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
goldstone said:
What's all this bloody nonsense about trains having to be taken out of service because the typeface on the information screens is 3mm too small to comply with disability regulations. Has the world gone mad?

Apparently the rules are contained in the Disability Discrimination Act 2005.

How many disabled people are there in this country? Are we really willing to let them rule the fu**ing place? This is absolute crap.

And what's the cost to the average taxpayer? Bloody enormous. How much taxpayers money is spent on putting ramps at every intersection in every town?
How much do shops and restaurants have to spend providing disabled access?
Thousands of seats have been removed from trains to make room for disabled lavatories.

I'm very sorry that some people are disabled. Sh1t happens. But I don't see the need for the rest of us to suffer the cost and inconvenience of trying to make everything "disabled freindly" for a small minority of the population.

Rant over.
Disability has never affected you obviously.........if it had, you would change your tune.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here