Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are cyclists a different breed to the rest of us?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Pegged to emissions allegedly. George reckons there will be three duty bands - zero emission, standard and premium - 95% of car owners will pay £140 a year.

What about VED on old cars?

I'll be interested to see the detail on that one, especially as my motor currently sits in band 'A'.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Bit of a ridiculous post. Like most cyclists I should imagine, I own a car (that my other half uses most of the time) and so pay the taxes of which you speak and yet spend most of my time cycling everywhere, thus freeing up traffic jam space on overcrowded roads for those who purely choose to drive everywhere. Quite a decent, altruistic gesture towards motorists on my part wouldn't you say? In fact people like me should get a discounted rate on road tax, and maybe petrol as well now you come to mention it. Lycra I would never wear.
no, no it isn't.....i the city that i live in there are cycle lanes everywhere , the majority of cyclists aren't going anywhere apart from their regular thrice weekly 70km bicycle ride ( double that at weekends) once they get in a group of 20 or more the cycle paths are no longer deemed suitable for their purposes so they take over the main roads , once they are in a group of 60 or 70 they will take both lanes ..........not ridiculous at all it's effin' annoying.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Screenshot_2015-07-08-14-05-24.png

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
no, no it isn't.....i the city that i live in there are cycle lanes everywhere , the majority of cyclists aren't going anywhere apart from their regular thrice weekly 70km bicycle ride ( double that at weekends) once they get in a group of 20 or more the cycle paths are no longer deemed suitable for their purposes so they take over the main roads , once they are in a group of 60 or 70 they will take both lanes ..........not ridiculous at all it's effin' annoying.

Completely ignoring every point in my post because there is no valid response that you could have made in defence of your road taxation/fuel argument.

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
Near miss, did you ignore a red light?:whistle::wink:

Actually I don't have a bike nor do I don't have a problem with cyclists generally. There are a few dickheads about on bikes but there is an equal percentage of bad car drivers out there who think they own the roads. To make sweeping statements about cyclists being a 'different breed' seems a little unfair to the vast majority who do obey the law.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It is a shame how regularly NSC gets embroidered in these pointless negative finger pointing threads that go nowhere.

It has been so refreshing to read some of the positive comments on here.
Imagine a whole thread like it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The simple answer is yes they are from those, especially in Brighton who think that traffic lights, one way streets do not concern them. Or in Haywards Heath riding up Franklynn Rd from the town to the PR Hospital on the pavement.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
Just an observation, the only cyclists that ignore the lanes provided are always dressed like Armstrong wannbees.The bloke on the A22 coming into Lewes from Polegate for the last three weeks is a case in point.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The simple answer is yes they are from those, especially in Brighton who think that traffic lights, one way streets do not concern them. Or in Haywards Heath riding up Franklynn Rd from the town to the PR Hospital on the pavement.

I've genuinely see more cars going the wrong way up one-way streets in Brighton than bikes. I saw one go all the way round the square at the bottom of Trafalgar Street the wrong way, and nearly got run over by another going northwards on Norfolk Road, which is one-way southwards.

People who break the speed limit piss me off, especially around Franklynns Village.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

Unlike Car drivers that think they can break the speed limits 'because I think it's safe', and then complain when someone catches them speeding?

SAC

May 21, 2014

I think you are saying that they are the same or are you saying that cars don't jump lights or cause problems for pedestrians on pavements?

In 2012 the statistics for London (I couldn't find stats for England or Sussex) were; Of pedestrians injured in London in a collision caused by red light jumping 4% involve cyclists, 71% occur when a car driver jumps a red light and 13% when a motorcyclist does.

In 2009/10 the statistics for England and Wales were. 2 pedestrian deaths on pavements caused by cyclists, 264 by motor vehicles.

I can't find any stats for one way streets.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
I've started cycling to work, have become interested in the tour (over the past 3/4 years), and have just bought a road bike to start being able to go out on longer rides.

The old man has been into cycling for YEARS (Lands end - John 'o'Groats etc) and all that jargon. So i quite like the fact its something we both enjoy alongside football.

I find cycling on the road FAR safer than the cycle lanes, certainly on my route. Partly because of the c*nts that continue to walk in them, and also because of the fact they rarely direct me the correct way, or indeed suddenly dissapear.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here