Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Apple Watch

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My brother has one.

I had a glance at it a couple of weeks ago. Some elements of it are very clever, and have their uses (the fitness app removes the need for a separate device like a FitBit, Jawbone, Nike thing etc for example) . There aren't enough useful features to make me want to go out and spend a few hundred quid on it though. The user interface isn't nearly as friendly as an iPhone- he would agree with this- and a number of functions we take for granted on the phone are a bit of a pain in the arse on the watch. It tells him to get off his backside and stand up regularly too, as part of the fitness app thing. Which he says is annoying. I guess there is probably a way to turn that off though. Battery life seems to be alright, contrary to popular expectation, primarily as you're not really fiddling with it all day like you might with a phone.

He's acquired his through his job and his opinion of it is that, while he quite likes it, he wouldn't go out and buy one himself.

I've got a wife who does this for free.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
A few of the IT guys at work have them and are walking round like cats that got the cream. I couldn't think of anything less cool than wearing the same watch as a load of tech geeks if I tried.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
now its pointed out, i havent seen or heard anyone on my floor with one. being IT/technology related, thats a bit of a surprise (about half the floor change their phone yearly just to get the latest thing and see many fitbit type devices around)

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
now its pointed out, i havent seen or heard anyone on my floor with one. being IT/technology related, thats a bit of a surprise (about half the floor change their phone yearly just to get the latest thing and see many fitbit type devices around)

I reckon a lot of those who bought one were just suffering from FOMO.

They're too big and chunky to look good as a fashion item. If the justification is function over form, they don't really seem to do anything particularly useful (other than things an iPhone combined with a fitness wristband can do). So by wearing one it sort of feels like you are saying 'Yes, I did pay £400 for something that looks silly, is too big, and doesn't really give me anything my phone and a £50 fitness band couldn't' which doesn't seem particularly enticing as a concept.

As per my previous comment, I do think the idea has legs; in a couple of years time with 3rd party app development and a V2 watch which is smaller and more focused, we could be getting somewhere.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I reckon a lot of those who bought one were just suffering from FOMO.

They're too big and chunky to look good as a fashion item. If the justification is function over form, they don't really seem to do anything particularly useful (other than things an iPhone combined with a fitness wristband can do). So by wearing one it sort of feels like you are saying 'Yes, I did pay £400 for something that looks silly, is too big, and doesn't really give me anything my phone and a £50 fitness band couldn't' which doesn't seem particularly enticing as a concept.

As per my previous comment, I do think the idea has legs; in a couple of years time with 3rd party app development and a V2 watch which is smaller and more focused, we could be getting somewhere.

One thing I was surprised by when I tried one on was how small it ended up looking on by little wrists. The press photos make it look much bigger than it actually is IMO.

The v2 of the operating system should take care of most of the immediate problems, but the next iteration of the actual watch will likely be a much better proposition.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
One thing I was surprised by when I tried one on was how small it ended up looking on by little wrists. The press photos make it look much bigger than it actually is IMO.

You're aware there are two sizes : 38mm and 42mm?

I doubt you'd think the 42mm felt small, although I'd also disagree with the poster above you and say they're also not too big. 42mm is around average for a gents watch today - even Rolex have increased some of their stainless steel sports watches to this size.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
You're aware there are two sizes : 38mm and 42mm?

I doubt you'd think the 42mm felt small, although I'd also disagree with the poster above you and say they're also not too big. 42mm is around average for a gents watch today - even Rolex have increased some of their stainless steel sports watches to this size.

Yeah I tried on both sizes. The 38mm one looked was way too small and I struggle to see how anyone can use an interface when it's that tiny. The 42mm still felt small to me probably because I expected it to be bigger. If they could shave just a couple of mm off the depth for the next version I'll be well happy.

Talking of new versions. It might be a long while before we see a version 2 of the watch. I can't see them updating it every year like the phone.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
One challenge Apple have embraced with a passion is reducing the thickness of all of the products- the phone in particular. The main problem size wise with the watch, which makes it look silly, and not like a normal watch, is the depth of it. They will probably halve this on the V2, when it will appear- who knows?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It's not a design of watch I would wear. I'm an old school Casio man.
I remember a LOT of people saying mobile phones were ridiculous and they'd NEVER get one. Look at us all now. With that in mind I won't rule out that the smart watch may become a widespread thing but I won't be an early adopter on this one. Who knows though, when they are more functional, look better and are worth the cost.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
The answer :)

Attachments

• tipsoftheweek_1applewatch.jpg
    tipsoftheweek_1applewatch.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 146

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I think I may have one soon, Its my 40th birthday in a few weeks and the wife was asking me which strap and face combo I like best on the apple watch. Subtle as a brick.

I didn't think I'd be that into a smart watch but I got a pebble at christmas this year and have found it really handy getting notification on my wrist so with the added features the apple watch gives me I think I will make good use of it.

THe main thing for me is the notification for incoming calls. I have a habbit of not realising I have a call when my phone is in my pocket and missing phone calls, since having a smart watch I haven't had this problem at all.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I remember a LOT of people saying mobile phones were ridiculous and they'd NEVER get one. Look at us all now. With that in mind I won't rule out that the smart watch may become a widespread thing but I won't be an early adopter on this one. Who knows though, when they are more functional, look better and are worth the cost.

thing is you need a phone to go with the smart watch. i cant see much more function being possible in a 1" square, and if you start increasing the size it becomes less useful verses just using that phone you have in you pocket. imagine watching a video, reading interwebs or playing a game on a watch, how much less convenient it is strapped to your arm than in your hand.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
I was serving behind the tills at the shop I'm working in over the summer, and a customer came in with a smartwatch of some sort (couldn't be sure that it was an Apple one). To be honest, with the black strap and large, square dial, it resembled an electronic tag that criminals wear when on probation. It didn't help that his arms were absolutely plastered in tattoos, although I did mean to ask him if the device was any good to live with on a daily basis. I say this as someone who hasn't owned any Apple products for years.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Anyone got the new Pebble watch? I understand they are only available re kickstart currently...but available for general sale next week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here