Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Applauding away team players!!

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
I know (although don't understand why) that i'll be in the minority here but, Applauding away team players?!! I couldn't believe what I was seeing, Steve G warming up, West stand lower Applauded. Steve G comes onto the pitch and the whole ground Applauded.

I personally think he's a great player, for the pool and for England, probably the best over the last 10 years. But, do we really need to be Applauding him? We're supposed to be in battle, he's the enemy!! Whats next, Applauding when he scores against us?! Letting him have a little go on your missus!! Bloody hell!!!!

I'm not suggesting we boo but should we really be making the effort to Applaud?

Totally agree.

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
I'm with the OP. Didn't applaud them once as I was there to see Brighton & Hove Albion.

I agree and just because I choose not to applaud him doesn't mean I'm disrespecting him, just I'm there to support my team not make the opposition feel at home.

willingdon_seagull

Mar 5, 2008
First things first, don't know about you lot but i went to the stadium tonight to watch the team i support - Brighton and Hove Albion.

Why on earth would I applaud Steven Gerrard? Yeah yeah he's played for England and all that but how on earth does he deserve a clap from fans of the opposition club?

Made us look like a right tin-pot club just because now we have international players playing at the AMEX. It was f***ing embarrassing.

I have to agree on the whole although if people want to applaud opposition players, that is of course down to them and their entitled to do so. All about opinion I guess - very plasticy it has to be said! Talking of plastic fans, two blokes sitting in front of me dressed in all the bhafc gear completely baffled me. Listening to them, they didn't know any of our players and spent the whole 90 mins taking pictures of the Liverpool players! Such a bleedin waste of two tickets!!

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
I respect Liverpool fans, as they don't seem to bother with having a pop at the opposition, but sing for their own boys. I thought the rendition of The fields of Anfield Road was class?

Completely agree. No homophobic chants, no baiting, just supporting their team.

Would have joined in if someone else started a "2-1 on your big day out" though, tounge in cheek of course.

I clapped Stevie g as I would any player making their come-back after a long term injury, as I would a player getting stretchered off. As an aside, I Wonder if anyone booed that player that made a comeback from cancer? Abidal was it? Not the same just wondering. Maybe Harris or Stubbs did? Who knows.

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
To be fair he has been England captain. If he wasn't English I am sure he would not have got such a round of applause.

I didn't applaud but was tempted to for this reason. If it had been Lampard or Rooney for example...no. Gerrard has a lot of class, or at least about as much as you could ever credit a scouser for having. He was happy to be signing autographs etcetera during the match on a couple of occasions and never strikes me as being impressed with himself.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
FFS it was a cup game that means nothing compared to Leeds and Palace, especially Palace!!!!
Showed us to be a decent support, SG gets applauded at ST.James's Park and no one thinks it makes them look tin pot. Bollocks, I think it showed what a quality club we are.

Smythe

Oct 8, 2008
Brightonian in Manchester
I know (although don't understand why) that i'll be in the minority here but, Applauding away team players?!! I couldn't believe what I was seeing, Steve G warming up, West stand lower Applauded. Steve G comes onto the pitch and the whole ground Applauded.

I personally think he's a great player, for the pool and for England, probably the best over the last 10 years. But, do we really need to be Applauding him? We're supposed to be in battle, he's the enemy!! Whats next, Applauding when he scores against us?! Letting him have a little go on your missus!! Bloody hell!!!!

I'm not suggesting we boo but should we really be making the effort to Applaud?

totally agree mate

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
For a start this thread is titled wrong, it should say Appaluding Steve Gerrard not away team players.

It did not take from our fans support of the Albion, and I really believe he is the ONLY current player that would ever get applauded that didn't have an Albion connection. e.g I can't see Rooney or Lampard getting applauded. No way.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
What was the applause like for Vicente when he came on?

It's not about when he came on, our fans gave Gerrard a standing ovation for warming up, and a clap so loud we thought GUS/Our players must have been doing something.

When our subs warmed up, barely nothing.

Feb 14, 2010
Fooking sad, fooking soft and those that clapped should be banned for life. The gerard reception should be " Steve gerrard gerrard, he kisses the badge on his chest, then puts in a transfer request, steve gerrard gerrard"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here