Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone seen this.....

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Personally I couldnt care, but Palace bang on about the Clackers a fair bit - this idea is up there with them - IE sh*thouse.

Its my personal opinion on it, there are better ways to go about it, its football - not pub karaoke.

I remember watching a Palace game on TV last year where they had a some sort of child's display that I think was supposed to look like a castle, but look like big nobs. I seriously don't think the words of a song that is over 100 years old and has a deep history in the county of Sussex being displayed comes even close to that level of tin potness. Also I am old enough to not give a toss what they think or say.

Caveman

Jul 14, 2003
Compromise, up til Xmas, all gets learnt for Palace next year

This! Whilst I agree it is a bit bobble hat and naff, I think if it was put on the screen for a few games, giving everyone time to properly learn all the words then ditch it.

Also, lets not forget that this song has history and meaning, whilst our friends up the road .... where is the origin for that song and how does it have any connection to thier history of the club?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Not sure of your point.

The atmosphere BEFORE that Palace game WAS good, so not sure what you mean by 'that went well' - unless you are suggesting that having the words printed contributed to the result? That would be a bit silly, wouldn't it?

And yes, I agree - fading the music for the chorus WOULD improve the atmosphere immediately pre-kick off. Fading it earlier and having EVERYONE sing the whole thing, would improve it even more. IMO.

Have to agree. Fanzone should be 5 minutes earlier to allow a singing period pre kick off, as it used to be years ago. Then GOSBTS as the teams come out, job done.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Whilst I agree with this...

I don't really agree with this. If someone wants to spend their time doing the things you mention, that's up to them. Bit odd referring to a time killing activity whilst at work (probably) as 'beyond pathetic'. Seems like someone is being a bit precious...

Oh certainly, it's definitely up to them. My question is why? Why would anyone want to sit on here or Twitter waiting for something to happen that they can take the piss out of? It's just baffling to me.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Drums, goal music, call and response, half time BIRD SHOW.

The debate ends with the above 4 facts. Plastic, soulless, MLS club.

What a load of balls, all those things are GENERIC fads used by teams to create an atmosphere. SBTS is completely UNIQUE to one team and one team only.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Its almost as if we are trying to look like a laughing stock and pretty much admitting we have too many new fans, which we do.

Why are you ashamed to admit we have too many new fans?

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Why are you ashamed to admit we have too many new fans?

To be honest I don't think it is just new fans that don't know the words. It is a song that you only hear when we are at home, and I believe if you watch Sussex cricket. It's not like you hear it on the radio. The words are not difficult but they are also not something you can easily pick up. I have followed Brighton for a long time but apart from the verse that is sung at away matches I did not know the rest of the words. Before the first game at the Amex, I found a youtube video the had the words printed to the song and I watched it over and over again until I memorised it. I don't believe that 20,000 people will do that. I don't blame them, it was a bit sad.

If we have to put the words up on the screen for a season, I really don't see a problem. It will sound fantastic if everyone knows it. .

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
If we have to put the words up on the screen for a season, I really don't see a problem. It will sound fantastic if everyone knows it. .
This. It won't even take a whole season for the interested STHs to learn the first couple of verses and chorus.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
What a load of balls, all those things are GENERIC fads used by teams to create an atmosphere. SBTS is completely UNIQUE to one team and one team only.

Eh? That's kinda my point.

SAC

May 21, 2014
Is there not a bit of hypocrisy with people saying who care what Palace think and then slagging them off for having goal music etc?

Who cares if an idea is nicked off Derby (worlds on screen) or Brazil (fading out the music), they probably weren't the first anyway - what’s important is that something is done about the atmosphere. Away fans will only take the piss if the words are on the screen and still people don’t join in and if everyone is singing along no will will notice them anyway.

Perhaps a good pre-match atmosphere will lead to a better atmosphere during the match? Something needs to be done, at least it seems to be being addressed.

Anything that encourages people to sing the correct version and not the going up to win the cup version is fine with me.

If I'm honest, up until 15 years ago when I got involved with the Royal Sussex Regimental Association I had no idea what the correct words were, or even that it was the Anthem of the Regiment.

Words on the screen for this is perfectly acceptable, words on the screen for ANYTHING else is not, IMO.

albionite

May 20, 2009
At first i didn't like the idea but derby did it very well at their place during the play offs. Coming round to the idea it might be good given a chance, we have to many singing sections that don't keep in sync with each other.

Who gives a f*ck what those Nigel bellends think. Their whole atmosphere is controlled by a bunch of spotty kids wearing black hoodies.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
**** what the Nigels think. Put the original words on the screen , 100 years ago we had soldiers from Sussex marching off to war singing it.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Is there not a bit of hypocrisy with people saying who care what Palace think and then slagging them off for having goal music etc?

Not really. We are fully entitled to laugh at their naffness, but I for one don't kid myself that they care that we do so.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
M
Perhaps a good pre-match atmosphere will lead to a better atmosphere during the match? Something needs to be done, at least it seems to be being addressed.
This. Current non-singers would be encouraged by being part of SBTS going really well every pre-match.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I believe we should go further. Every school in Sussex should be encouraged to sing GOSBTS in morning assembly.Instead of the dirge that is God save the Queen, all civic and public occasions, in the county should be preceded by a rousing rendition of our song. Lets all show our pride, and be thankful we are the luckiest people in the whole world, because we are Sussex folk.

Im only half joking

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Exactly.

Can someone explain to me what has "Glad All Over" got to do with the history of Crystal Pala*se?

having just had a google moment it would seem not a great deal

Dave Clark Five originating in North London, the band was promoted as the vanguard of the "Tottenham Sound"

The song was No 1 in 1964.In 1968 the band played it live at Selhurst. The nigels adopted the song as their anthem.

Blackpool,Rotherham .Port Vale,Swindon,Woking and Partick Thistle also play it when they score a goal.

Pontypridd also play it when they score stuff in rugby.

what a bunch of clackers!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here