Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Anyone planning to travel to London for the funeral?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The good news is that no one is forcing anyone, including you, to watch the event.

They are closing schools which means I, and lots of other people, have to take an unplanned day off work though.

Most private-sector employment contracts won’t give additional bank holidays as bonus days off. Lots of people will have to use their annual leave allowance or take unpaid leave.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
We went up for the Jubilee. Got there quite early but it was still carnage. Couldn't get anywhere near the Mall. The trains were okay getting there but there were so many people in central London you just couldn't near the main part. We ended up in Whitehall, watched the flight past etc. Was still good to be there and get the atmosphere but suspect for the funeral if you are not going to be on the stretch of the very small journey from Westminster Hall to Westminster Abbey there is no point.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Latest travel from TFL

Following the death of Her Majesty the Queen, ceremonial events are taking place over the next seven days in order to allow members of the public to pay their respects during this period of national mourning. This includes the Lying-in-State at the Palace of Westminster from Wednesday 14 September.

These events are expected to bring thousands of people from all over the UK and beyond to London, which will lead to busy services and short-term changes to how stations operate, including queuing or changes to the way you may need to enter or exit a station. There are also road closures in place throughout central London which will impact on some cycling routes and bus services.

We are doing everything we can to keep our city moving and ensure people can travel safely. Please allow extra time for your journey and avoid driving where possible.

What you can expect from our services
Tube services will be running as normal, however some stations will be busier than usual, and some short-term safety measures such as queuing, closures, non-stopping or changes to the way customers enter or exit a station may be necessary
Customers are encouraged to avoid Green Park Tube station if possible, due to high numbers of customers passing through, and to keep capacity for customers who need step-free access. Other Tube stations, such as Victoria, Piccadilly Circus and St James's Park, are within a short walking distance of Buckingham Palace
Other stations expected to be busier include: Westminster, Charing Cross, Embankment, Victoria, Waterloo, St James's Park, Lancaster Gate, Hyde Park Corner and Marble Arch
The Elizabeth line will run a special service with 12 trains per hour on the central section (Paddington-Abbey Wood) on Sunday 18 September to provide further transport options for customers
Due to road closures, some buses will stop short of their destination or will be on diversion until after the events. They may also run to a reduced frequency
All rail and bus strikes that were planned to take place this week have now been called off
Some cycle routes will be impacted by road closures, such as C3
Santander Cycles will operate as normal, but some docking stations may be closed
London River services will operate as normal
Walking, Tube and rail will be the best way to get around during this time, but please make sure you:

Plan ahead – using Journey Planner or by downloading TfL Go
Check before you travel – by visiting our Status Updates page
Allow more time for your journeys
For more information, visit our website

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is anyone planning to travel up to London for the funeral next Monday?
I would like to take my 18 month old daughter to experience the moment in history, but as we live near Manchester it's a massive effort and I'm worried we could end up doing it all to get nowhere near the actual funeral procession.

We'd have to travel down to Brighton on Sunday and then look at getting up to London on the Monday morning.

Will thier be trains? Will they be full? Am I stupid for even contemplating it with a young child. Nappies to change etc.

Anyone else planning to go and thought of plans yet?

Anyone ever been to a huge event in London before got any experiences worthwhile sharing?

The predictions are it will be a madhouse. Massive queues to get anywhere. I'd do what most people did when she was crowned - watch it on the telly :thumbsup:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The predictions are it will be a madhouse. Massive queues to get anywhere. I'd do what most people did when she was crowned - watch it on the telly :thumbsup:

Only about 112 households had a telly back then though. And out of them, its estimated less than a dozen had 4k HD.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Some reports today even suggesting inbound train services might get cancelled if numbers get out of control. The queue for the lying in state is expected to be 30 hours/5 miles long at it’s peak :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here