Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Anyone planning to travel to London for the funeral?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
You’ll likely end up having to watch it on a big screen and kick yourself that you could have done it better at home.

My suggestion would be to try and do something for the coronation, it’ll be a happier and likely much bigger event (in terms of stuff going on) and last longer (I imagine it’ll take a similar form to the Jubilee as a multi-day pageant thing over one of the bank holidays next summer). Plus she’ll be older and remember more of it.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Utterly pointless taking an 18 month old along, will get bored easily and won’t remember any of it.

dstanman

Jul 1, 2011
Considering going up to see the Queen's lying in state in Westminster Hall on Saturday (expecting a 4 hour queue) but will watch the funeral on TV

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Now I just need to convince the misses not to go [emoji30]

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I didn't know her and I'm not into mournography, so no.

You won't see much I wouldn't think. There will be die-hards camping out along the likely routes since it was announced she was poorly. Better to watch on the telly where you'll see everything, stay dry and can tend to your little one without having to change nappies in a far flung McDonald's toilet. There will be very, very few facilities or shops open on the day.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Is anyone planning to travel up to London for the funeral next Monday?
I would like to take my 18 month old daughter to experience the moment in history, but as we live near Manchester it's a massive effort and I'm worried we could end up doing it all to get nowhere near the actual funeral procession.

We'd have to travel down to Brighton on Sunday and then look at getting up to London on the Monday morning.

Will thier be trains? Will they be full? Am I stupid for even contemplating it with a young child. Nappies to change etc.

Anyone else planning to go and thought of plans yet?

Anyone ever been to a huge event in London before got any experiences worthwhile sharing?

Golly, couldn't think of anything worse. Abort! Abort!

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Couple of points are AWC still one train per hour from Manchester as Mrs LBG travelled to Hailsham last week and Piccadilly was very busy. As others have said thousands of people will turn up having absolutely no idea how to use The Tube,if you are going for yourself ok but not for a 18month child and the money that you save put towards your child's well being.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I would like to take my 18 month old daughter to experience the moment in history, but as we live near Manchester it's a massive effort and I'm worried we could end up doing it all to get nowhere near the actual funeral procession.

We'd have to travel down to Brighton on Sunday and then look at getting up to London on the Monday morning.

Will thier be trains? Will they be full? Am I stupid for even contemplating it with a young child. Nappies to change etc.

Anyone ever been to a huge event in London before got any experiences worthwhile sharing?

An 18 month old might ‘experience’ the event, but will never remember any of it. You will ‘endure’ the event rather than experience it……..

Crowded trains, totally inadequate facilities available on the day (and a complete inability to move around anyway), all for perhaps a fleeting glimpse of the cortege if you’re lucky and have your own stepladder. TV coverage will be absolutely comprehensive. Record it and let the littlun watch it later.

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016

There will be massive. massive crowds , with respect it’s the last place I would take a baby or even a young child . Very daft idea in my view and yes in your words - stupid .

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Stay at home and watch it on the telly box.
No stress and worries to your kiddie or yourself.
London will be rammed that day and being a BH transport will be limited.

I wouldn't be so sure, already talk of extra trains to run throughout the run up to the funeral and I expect as many carriages as possible to run on the day of the funeral itself.

It will still be absolute carnage though.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
I wouldn't be so sure, already talk of extra trains to run throughout the run up to the funeral and I expect as many carriages as possible to run on the day of the funeral itself.

It will still be absolute carnage though.

Cheers, I stand corrected, I was told by my TFL mate that it would be a BH service :thumbsup:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Any regular commuter who has travelled into London on a weekend and experienced the frustration of "amateurs" on public transport will advise you to avoid at all costs.

People are pretty stupid and selfish at the best of times. On occasions such as this you can increase that 100 fold. Now add thousands of bumpkins from various villages up and down the country trying to use cash on TFL into the mix and you have an absolute yellow shit storm.

Imagine Australia Day on the underground x a thousand.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
There was carnage at Green Park tube yesterday (Saturday) when thousands of people (lemmings?) descended wanting to deposit a bunch of flowers at the gates of Buckingham Palace so that they could do a Face Book post of themselves live at a moment of "history". They had to close the station. It will be mental in London on the 19th and so if you really want to respect the Queen's memory you should quietly stay at home and watch the TV coverage.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Any regular commuter who has travelled into London on a weekend and experienced the frustration of "amateurs" on public transport will advise you to avoid at all costs.

People are pretty stupid and selfish at the best of times. On occasions such as this you can increase that 100 fold. Now add thousands of bumpkins from various villages up and down the country trying to use cash on TFL into the mix and you have an absolute yellow shit storm.

Imagine Australia Day on the underground x a thousand.

I beg to differ. I was there in June for the Jubilee, and most people knew you could use contactless on TFL. The crowds were very good humoured and helpful.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I beg to differ. I was there in June for the Jubilee, and most people knew you could use contactless on TFL. The crowds were very good humoured and helpful.

I think the difference will be that people had that planned for months. But yeah, you could be right. Overall though, I don't think it will be a very fulfilling experience for a lot of those that make the trip.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire

Yes.
So stupid that I actually respect you for considering it.
When it comes to toddlers, keep it simple.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here