Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Anyone planning to travel to London for the funeral?

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Anyone ever been to a huge event in London before got any experiences worthwhile sharing?

Be prepared to do a lot of walking.
As with the Jubilee there will be tube stations closed and bus route disruption,some streets will be entry only or exit only. You might end up having a long old hike to get somewhere very close.
Im hoping to go myself, but it will be off the scale packed.
Unless you go super early expect to not be able to get to where you would like to be.

Take plenty of water and scotch eggs with you

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Considering going up to see the Queen's lying in state in Westminster Hall on Saturday (expecting a 4 hour queue) but will watch the funeral on TV

We are going to go Friday

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Yes, Mrs Shingle and I are going, we might take our 3 year old grandson. And yes, they'll be plenty of space on the train.

We camped out overnight on The Mall for the Platinum Jubilee celebrations, a fantastic experience with thousands of like minded people.

I am a photographer too, so another reason to go and record history.

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've got a flight to the States on Monday for a convention that I can't change and has been booked for weeks. I'd normally get the train to Heathrow because it's the cheapest for expenses and less frustrating than sitting on the M25 in a three mile queue. I'm not even considering it. Cab, driving and parking for the week or going up on Sunday and staying in a Heathrow hotel are the only options I'm considering. Work are fine with it considering I'm now travelling on a bank holiday and will see little or nothing of the funeral. I can forsee closed tube lines and queuing systems everywhere.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Is anyone planning to travel up to London for the funeral next Monday?
I would like to take my 18 month old daughter to experience the moment in history, but as we live near Manchester it's a massive effort and I'm worried we could end up doing it all to get nowhere near the actual funeral procession.

We'd have to travel down to Brighton on Sunday and then look at getting up to London on the Monday morning.

Will thier be trains? Will they be full? Am I stupid for even contemplating it with a young child. Nappies to change etc.

Anyone else planning to go and thought of plans yet?

Anyone ever been to a huge event in London before got any experiences worthwhile sharing?
Absolutely terrible idea, don't do it.

Take your daughter to the park instead. Push her on the swings and buy her a 99.

Honestly.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Why everyone is so excited to go to London to see the Queen when she's dead I don't understand. When she was alive and you could see her then yeah maybe... If only she could release an album she'd go straight to #1.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It’s already all been said but I’d just like to endorse the general opinion of NSC that this is the worst idea ever.

I’m struggling to understand why they couldn’t have held it on a weekend day when we’d all be off work anyway. Schools will now be closed and lots of people will now have to take an extra day of annual leave, even if they didn’t want to watch the event itself.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Why everyone is so excited to go to London to see the Queen when she's dead I don't understand. When she was alive and you could see her then yeah maybe... If only she could release an album she'd go straight to #1.

A lot of people just want to show their respect. We are all different are we not?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
My daughter is keen to go. We happen to be over and it would be interesting to be part of history.

For a staunch republican though it all looks like such a ball ache.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
It’s already all been said but I’d just like to endorse the general opinion of NSC that this is the worst idea ever.

I’m struggling to understand why they couldn’t have held it on a weekend day when we’d all be off work anyway. Schools will now be closed and lots of people will now have to take an extra day of annual leave, even if they didn’t want to watch the event itself.

The good news is that no one is forcing anyone, including you, to watch the event.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
My daughter is keen to go. We happen to be over and it would be interesting to be part of history.

For a staunch republican though it all looks like such a ball ache.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

Take her Fishy.
Its a bit of history that maybe she will look back on in decades to come and say to her own children that she was there.

There is an astounding amount of commentary by anti monarchists who even though they are against a monarchy have been saddened by the death of the queen and acknowledge her quite extraordinary public service and the dignified way she conducted herself

.Even if you dont like the monarchy, perhaps partaking in a bit of history for someone who was beloved by millions globally isnt actually a bad thing.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Take her Fishy.
Its a bit of history that maybe she will look back on in decades to come and say to her own children that she was there.

There is an astounding amount of commentary by anti monarchists who even though they are against a monarchy have been saddened by the death of the queen and acknowledge her quite extraordinary public service and the dignified way she conducted herself

.Even if you dont like the monarchy, perhaps partaking in a bit of history for someone who was beloved by millions globally isnt actually a bad thing.

Totally agree, I have no beef with the queen and that will not affect our decision of if we go or not. I am up for a bit of history for both the kids and myself.

I think it will be more down to how she (and my son) will go with the crowds. She is autistic and finds crowds and noise a sensory nightmare.

Might just see how it pans out and see how we feel.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Totally agree, I have no beef with the queen and that will not affect our decision of if we go or not. I am up for a bit of history for both the kids and myself.

I think it will be more down to how she (and my son) will go with the crowds. She is autistic and finds crowds and noise a sensory nightmare.

Might just see how it pans out and see how we feel.

I remember you saying about the autism. Obviously thats down to your judgement.
I have been to a few Royal events, the crowds can be huge but they are well managed with crowd safety paramount.
I would actually say it is incredibly safe and whilst very busy is not dangerously cogested, the Met actually do a good job here to the point you actually say to yourself the crowd management is overkill .............but you are only saying that because its so well managed.

I hope you decide to go and have a memorable day out with the family

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I remember you saying about the autism. Obviously thats down to your judgement.
I have been to a few Royal events, the crowds can be huge but they are well managed with crowd safety paramount.
I would actually say it is incredibly safe and whilst very busy is not dangerously cogested, the Met actually do a good job here to the point you actually say to yourself the crowd management is overkill .............but you are only saying that because its so well managed.

I hope you decide to go and have a memorable day out with the family

Cheers Pasta, that is all good to know. The gamble is always giving it a go and then having to retreat and go home thus missing all that we could have watched on the TV. I would guess there will be some big screens somewhere that we can retreat to and still get a sense of the occasion

I will look into it and give it some serious thought when arrive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here