Anyone else have doubts about Oscar being the right man to take us forward?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Apart from his mind numbingly dull post and pre-match interviews he is 100% the right man, based on the style of play the club (TB) want us to play. I just hope he doesn't walk away before finishing what he's started. Calderon manager in waiting, but a few years off hopefully.

he's not mind numbingly dull in post match interviews. he is thoughtful and incisive, doesn't jump in to deliver the usual load of twaddle that many of his contemporaries do, and sometimes seems to be thinking why he has been asked such a stupid question.

And even though we lost against Wigan yesterday, Oscar thought the first half was the best half of football we had played all season, and I don't think you could fault the effort which went in to the last 15 minutes or so, and the two attacking substitutions, and the plan B, and plan C.

yes, it is a shame we didn't score again, but I for one am very happy with the Oscar way.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Don't you just love the thought processes here. We've people believing that Paul Barber is doing all the scouting and signing of players, yet in others they see Nathan Jones being the one responsible. Yet more blame Burke. Some praise the players GP brought in but forget the likes of Harley and Paynter! Dobbie came with a good reputation but GP couldn't bring the best out of him, the same as Vokes, who now can't stop scoring. OG came in just as pre season training began but that is almost 6 weeks after the end of the season in which time other managers would have been hard at work bringing new players in, some deals they would have been working on even before that season had finished!

As for Burke overseeing us lose three good players, I think that was entirely out of our hands. Bridcutt was always going to play in the Premier League and we would stand in his way. If you have a problem with that then presumably you have the same complaints about Elliot Bennett and Crofts leaving under GPs reign. Barnes wouldn't sign a contract, presumably because he thought he was worth far more than the club did. El Abd wanted first team football and he is getting that in bucket loads down at Bristol.

As for OG, I am perfectly happy with him in the role. As disappointing as the result against Wigan was, we dominated the game for large periods and with a bit more luck would have gone in at half time a couple of goals up. I much prefer his manner to that of GP. He comes across as an academic of the game rather than a speak first think later exponent. Time will prove us all right or wrong.

Totally well said. I agree with every word.

I did a thumbs down by mistake, so did two thumbs-up to compensate. I apologise for any distress this might cause.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Don't you just love the thought processes here. We've people believing that Paul Barber is doing all the scouting and signing of players, yet in others they see Nathan Jones being the one responsible. Yet more blame Burke. Some praise the players GP brought in but forget the likes of Harley and Paynter! Dobbie came with a good reputation but GP couldn't bring the best out of him, the same as Vokes, who now can't stop scoring. OG came in just as pre season training began but that is almost 6 weeks after the end of the season in which time other managers would have been hard at work bringing new players in, some deals they would have been working on even before that season had finished!

As for Burke overseeing us lose three good players, I think that was entirely out of our hands. Bridcutt was always going to play in the Premier League and we would stand in his way. If you have a problem with that then presumably you have the same complaints about Elliot Bennett and Crofts leaving under GPs reign. Barnes wouldn't sign a contract, presumably because he thought he was worth far more than the club did. El Abd wanted first team football and he is getting that in bucket loads down at Bristol.

As for OG, I am perfectly happy with him in the role. As disappointing as the result against Wigan was, we dominated the game for large periods and with a bit more luck would have gone in at half time a couple of goals up. I much prefer his manner to that of GP. He comes across as an academic of the game rather than a speak first think later exponent. Time will prove us all right or wrong.

This is the best post in this thread. Perfectly put.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
No doubts here.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
For me it's the formation that we play that frustrates the most, in particular the refusal to play 2 strikers in home games. That is not Burke or Barbers fault. We have to be more positive at home.

colonies man

Jul 30, 2011
Have to say some of the football under him has been completely dull and the lack of goals is a worry despite him saying he wants us to play attacking football. We often go through 90 minutes of football creating just one or two chances in 90 mins. Yesterday was actually better in terms of performance and entertainment.

His signings haven't been exactly decent either.

Kemy Agustien - Complete waste of time.

Keith Andrews - Starting to look a poor signing after a promising start

Leory Lita - Why?

Obika - Another shocking signing

Dale Stephens - Doing ok. Got a good feeling he will turn out to be a shrewd signing.

Steven Ward - Very good signing. Not as good as Bridge though.

Conway - Really poor start but signs were there he was quite good.

David Rodriguez - Haven't seen anything great from him yet but maybe he is still adjusting.

The one promising aspect of Oscar's skills is the emergence of our youngsters. He seems to be more willing to use them in competitive matches than Poyet. It's a joy seeing kids coming through as they are the future.

This season has been a disappointment but the warning signs were there even before the season started. Going into a new season with just two fit strikers really wasn't a great plan and no plans to strengthen here either.

I'm just not convinced by the Oscar and Jones are the right pair.

I support Oscar at the moment as I have supported all the managers since Archie Mac.But we all know they always fail in the end with few exceptions.Oscar has done reasonably well so far,cup run is always fun and the league is far from over.My worry is that few of the current squad appear to be good enough for the premier and I believe a big overhaul of the current squad is required.Who knows luck may go our way and we could end up winning the play offs,but who would not fear next season in the premier with most of the current squad? I believe that a realistic look at the squad will be required this summer.The momentum of the last few years needs to be maintained.The off field facilities are clearly up to the premier,but I feel at the moment the players are not.As for Oscar next season may well be the real test.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
For me it's the formation that we play that frustrates the most, in particular the refusal to play 2 strikers in home games. That is not Burke or Barbers fault. We have to be more positive at home.

We will never play 4-4-2. Get used to it. It's not been the philosophy of Oscar or Gus (and probably not the next man down the line either). Very few teams play with two up front now. Realistically we haven't got two good enough strikers for 4-4-2 to work for us.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I have no doubts Oscar is the right person for the job - it might not cone to fruition this season but I have patience.

Philzo-93

Jan 17, 2009
North Stand
I think Oscar is still a very young manager who will make mistakes, as did his predecessors at the Albion. Obika was quite clearly a mistake and maybe will have to think twice on what Nathan Jones has to say...who knows maybe he'll be shipped out. Maybe Jones is just being used for Oscar to get some form of knowledge of English football???

penny's harmonica

Jan 30, 2012
Comical how whenever we lose a game someone starts a thread like this regardless of who's in charge at the time.

I absolutely agree, I'm full of doubts which will only go away if we win tonight.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
We will never play 4-4-2. Get used to it. It's not been the philosophy of Oscar or Gus (and probably not the next man down the line either). Very few teams play with two up front now. Realistically we haven't got two good enough strikers for 4-4-2 to work for us.

What, like Nugent and Vardy at Leicester, or Ings and Vokes at Burnley, or Martin and Russell at Derby or Johnson and Doyle at QPR??? I think you will find that the majority of Championship clubs play with two recognised strikers, whatever the formation. Some drop to one at away games. We will not score enough goals to win enough games to get out of this league playing the way we are now.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I think Oscar is the manager to take us forward, next season will be the one to judge him on

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I haven't read the whole thread yet, so apologies if I repeat others, but I would say I have never been so sure that an Albion manager is the right man for the job even at a time when the team is underperforming.

A lack of goals at both ends of the pitch doesn't necessarily make a team boring. In fact, I think we have been far easier to watch this season than we were last season, and I think our football is generally excellent. I like the way Oscar has maintained some of the basic philosophies of Gus' style such as tremendous technical ability and plenty of passing, but evolved the side as the season has gone on. We pass it much quicker than we did under Gus, with more one-touch football than we ever produced last season. We are also more willing to put the ball in the box, even if the delivery/final pass is often not quite good enough to score from. Yesterday, I stood there at half-time thinking it was the best I have seen us play all season. I recall saying the same sort of thing at half-time against Doncaster, yet in both games we hadn't scored and that sums us up.

It's not Oscar's fault that a few of the players at his disposal in key positions are, sadly, not quite good enough to carry out exactly what he wants them to do. But what he has achieved with the squad available to him has been outstanding in my opinion, in terms of skill and tactical awareness. This summer is time for the club to back him by spending what it takes to get a couple of crucial high-class additions.

The world is spinning off its axis. That's twice in a week I have completely agreed with The Complete Badger.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
OG strategy of starting games slowly could be his downfall.
At the opposite end of the scale Liverpool have scored 7 times in the first 5 minutes in the league and are proving irresistible.
Who can name the date when when a current squad member scored in the first 30 (thirty) minutes at home?

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
After the fiasco of last summer I had prettyy much written off this season and had thought with a new manager and no major squad changes 10th was about right. Considering the injuries we've had and the club's stated no: 1 objective of getting finances into line I think we've done fine. Of course TB wants prorotion but not at any cost and if we finish where we are now I think the club will be reasonably happy with that.

In those lights I cant say Oscar has done anything wrong. I remain to be convinced that he is a better manager than Gus. Loyalty and all that guff out of the way Gus is a top quality manager. Oscar is definately good but next season for me will be the real crunch. Anyone who thinks Oscar got a summer last year is deluded. However, next season there will be no excuses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports