Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone else have doubts about Oscar being the right man to take us forward?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Gus had developed the squad, knew English football inside out and had a great contacts book. Oscar has come in with no experience of this league, too late to oversee pre-season, and faced one of the worst injury crises we've experienced. Being four points outside the top six is miraculous in the circumstances.

Good point.

Also as someone else mentioned a minute ago it seems that Oscar is more of a coach in the european sense where he just coaches the players and doesn't get involved in player recruitment as much as an english style manager does. He is an entirely different animal to Gus and we just have to accept that.

People describing him as a puppet is downright disrespectful. Some ridiculous comments in that post from cowfold seagull.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
maybe you could say too let to plan preseason ..its often said that managers start to plan for the next season before the last one has finished

Everybody is on holiday in June. I also believe that Oscar knew he was going to be head coach, before it was announced. We didn't hear of any interviews or short list.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I often get the impression that commentators and pundits do very little research, and parrot received wisdom in place of independent thought. Not all of them, but a fair few. And I'm not anti-Poyet either.

As demonstrated yesterday by Robbie Savage.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I watched a game on SC4 while we lived in Wales welsh cup game and Malky played and I thought then he would have been a great signing and when he got into management it did not change my mind
like the guy, seems honest but very feisty with upper management and I am not sure our upper management would like that.
they have worked with one very feisty guy would they want to work with another which sort of lead on to your last sentence
honestly don't think it would ever happen ..................sadly

I completely agree in that l don't think it will ever happen either. When you think about it, so many of the top successful managers are (were) feisty. Probably not very pleasant characters at all, but they got the job done. The likes of Bill Shankly, Don Revie, Brian Clough, Sir Alex Ferguson and Jose Mourinho come to mind.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I have no doubts about Oscar. I have massive doubts about Burke.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Good point.

Also as someone else mentioned a minute ago it seems that Oscar is more of a coach in the european sense where he just coaches the players and doesn't get involved in player recruitment as much as an english style manager does. He is an entirely different animal to Gus and we just have to accept that.

People describing him as a puppet is downright disrespectful. Some ridiculous comments in that post from cowfold seagull.

Sorry Billy but we don't have to just 'accept it'. We all have the right to our opinion.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I think Oscar is the man for the job. I don't necessarily think the job at present is to launch us into the Premier League, at least not this season, but he's steadied the ship and in his heart i like to believe that we'll grow into an ever-functioning and slick style that impresses as it did not so long ago and beyond. I suppose identities aren't reborn over night and power changes throughout organisations year on year after inspection, so this season will end and discussions will be had for who directly we want to be next year, and i hope that it's a full Oscar-made performance and team that we get to witness and judge.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Everybody is on holiday in June. I also believe that Oscar knew he was going to be head coach, before it was announced. We didn't hear of any interviews or short list.

Oh i think you are right he would have known about it...but theres a difference to that and actually being in the hot seat

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Sorry Billy but we don't have to just 'accept it'. We all have the right to our opinion.

but he's not asking you not to have an opinion (even though he disagrees with it)..he from what i see is referring to the acceptance of the way Garcia is...your or my opinion for that matter isn't going to change Garcia

The main thing I notice about the entire coaching set up at the moment is how passive they are. Now I am certainly not saying we should have a hot head, barking orders at the ref and geeing the crowd up ala Gus but when we go a goal down or a decision goes against us there is next to know reaction. I am adamant it has an effect on the players and the stadium as a whole.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
I would much rather Garcia is just given a bloody budget and let him spend it the old fashioned way. We have made a few shi**e signings.

As for Garcia being the right man, I think his learning curve is huge so I am expecting a much better rounded side next season.

I very much doubt we are good enough for the play offs this season in my opinion

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
The main thing I notice about the entire coaching set up at the moment is how passive they are. Now I am certainly not saying we should have a hot head, barking orders at the ref and geeing the crowd up ala Gus but when we go a goal down or a decision goes against us there is next to know reaction. I am adamant it has an effect on the players and the stadium as a whole.

Or you could have the Rosler way ..i found him amusing waving his arms around like a windmill whenever something wasn't going there way.....many were criticising Poyet for being too animated :shrug:

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011

But if you go a goal down the players know what to do as they have been playing football for many years and will be quite used to going behind. They shouldn't need someone to shout at them to get organised

tommynockers

Dec 6, 2013
I'm finding it hard to believe some people are not just having a laugh, or are very very drunk!!
We are 4 points off the play offs with every team above us having been in the premiership before.
We are still in the FA CUP.
We have no money.
We are still recovering from Gus going and being replaced last minute.

Think it's a bit early to be saying Oscar is the wrong man!!

Gus had developed the squad, knew English football inside out and had a great contacts book. Oscar has come in with no experience of this league, too late to oversee pre-season, and faced one of the worst injury crises we've experienced. Being four points outside the top six is miraculous in the circumstances.
I really don't get this line of reasoning at all, it's almost as if you think some kind of handicapping system exists in football. If we fail to make the play-offs because he's not used enough to the football of this league, that's an indictment not some kind of mitigation

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The original post said squad but I dont think any if our squad are league 1
How many do you want to name? Both back up keepers.JFC, Chicksen,Maksimenko,Dickenson,Obika in fact most if our fringe players. Some of the younger players may progress to being 1st choice champion ship players but are not at the moment and are only capable of stepping in occassionally not playing week in week out. Neither keeper will ever be good enough.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Nope 100% think he is the right man.

Agree but he needs to be allowed to manage and bring the players within reason that he wants into the club. I think on Barbers Argus Q&A session he advised that Oscar was compiling a list to look at come the end of the season

Most home games this season i can honestly say i've been bored. Especially the first half shooting towards the south stand when we hardly ever score.
It has seemed to me the tactics are to keep is safe and tight for about 60 mins and then unleash the bench to win the game. To be fair, in a few recent games that defensive approach has earnt the 3 pts. I just can't think of any team that over a season that has scored enough goals consistently with that approach to get promoted. I was really disappointed that we played one striker and no wingers yesterday - what injury crisis do we have now to justify that?
It meant we had a lot of the ball but looked toothless, too many aimless crosses, too many hopeful shots from distance - and we are meant to be happy that these were "chances". I don't buy it - I hope that he will think again and use both our wingers to support our lone striker. Rodriguez looked utterly lost in that nothing role he was given on the left, Ward was more threatening

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here