Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone else have doubts about Oscar being the right man to take us forward?

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
Have to say some of the football under him has been completely dull and the lack of goals is a worry despite him saying he wants us to play attacking football. We often go through 90 minutes of football creating just one or two chances in 90 mins. Yesterday was actually better in terms of performance and entertainment.

His signings haven't been exactly decent either.

Kemy Agustien - Complete waste of time.

Keith Andrews - Starting to look a poor signing after a promising start

Leory Lita - Why?

Obika - Another shocking signing

Dale Stephens - Doing ok. Got a good feeling he will turn out to be a shrewd signing.

Steven Ward - Very good signing. Not as good as Bridge though.

Conway - Really poor start but signs were there he was quite good.

David Rodriguez - Haven't seen anything great from him yet but maybe he is still adjusting.

The one promising aspect of Oscar's skills is the emergence of our youngsters. He seems to be more willing to use them in competitive matches than Poyet. It's a joy seeing kids coming through as they are the future.

This season has been a disappointment but the warning signs were there even before the season started. Going into a new season with just two fit strikers really wasn't a great plan and no plans to strengthen here either.

I'm just not convinced by the Oscar and Jones are the right pair.

Give him a chance he's not even had one season with us inc of no pre season and a string of ridiculous injuries to key players. Plus he doesn't sign players, David Burke and his team do this, he is a coach not a manager. Judge him at the end of next season

laters

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I think that Oscar given the rope to bring in his signings will be good but I believe that he is a puppet having his strings pulled from above for whatever reason and by whoever.

Sadly I think this may well be true. I have had major doubts since very early in the season that he is the man to get us into the Premier League.

One of the reasons for his appointment may well be because he is entirely different in temprament to his much maligned, (on here anyway) predecessor. Completely unlike Gus, he comes across as something of a yes man, and possibly even a puppet, just doing as instructed by the diirectors. At the end of the day he is almost a complete unknown in managerial terms, and appointing him was always going to be a gamble.

Take note Tony, this man is never going to get us into the Premier League. One man who l think can, and has a proven track record in doing so, is available. His name in Malky MacKay. He got Cardiff City promoted last season, and I think could do the same for us. He would come at a price though, so you would have to put your hands in your pockets. But that begs another question doesn't it? Do the club want to see us promoted at the moment?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Do the club want to see us promoted at the moment?

Can confirm he does, Tony Bloom actually said this on a train back from somewhere in the North in our first Amex season.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Your completely ignoring the deathly dull games we had under Poyet.

IMO we are a lot more forward thinking under Oscar.

I find this an interesting point....The radio 5live commentator on the hull game when comparing the current side to that under Poyet last year, said we were less exciting ...it made me wonder how many Brighton games he watched, because i just don't believe that to be true..more likely he relied on the media hype over Poyet (and i'm not a Poyet basher, never have)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
As Matt Upson says a player doesnt sign for a manager but I am fairly sure that Gus would have sold the club and its ambitions to him very well. Would others do so well I am not sure they would.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I find this an interesting point....The radio 5live commentator on the hull game when comparing the current side to that under Poyet last year, said we were less exciting ...it made me wonder how many Brighton games he watched, because i just don't believe that to be true..more likely he relied on the media hype over Poyet (and i'm not a Poyet basher, never have)

When we were good under Poyet and it all came together we were very exciting but people forget the number of very dull games some of which we failed to muster a single shot at goal. It's understandable that commentators have only seen the exciting games.

The number of game we drew under Poyet didn't go unnoticed by the board particularly the fact we missed out on automatic promotion by two points. It has been said that Oscar likes attacking football and I can understand people questioning that because there have been games we've started cautiously.

But at present I'll put that down to a manager easing his way into the a new league and new country. There were some Macabi fans telling us this is what would happen, he would be cautious at the start and then work towards his attacking style. I've seen more then enough to believe with an upgrade on certain areas of the squad he'll come good on that promise.

Last edited:

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Sadly I think this may well be true. I have had major doubts since very early in the season that he is the man to get us into the Premier League.

One of the reasons for his appointment may well be because he is entirely different in temprament to his much maligned, (on here anyway) predecessor. Completely unlike Gus, he comes across as something of a yes man, and possibly even a puppet, just doing as instructed by the diirectors. At the end of the day he is almost a complete unknown in managerial terms, and appointing him was always going to be a gamble.

Take note Tony, this man is never going to get us into the Premier League. One man who l think can, and has a proven track record in doing so, is available. His name in Malky MacKay. He got Cardiff City promoted last season, and I think could do the same for us. He would come at a price though, so you would have to put your hands in your pockets. But that begs another question doesn't it? Do the club want to see us promoted at the moment?

Do you honestly think TB would not want to get to the Prem asap and recoup some of his money he as invested in the club back?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Give him a chance he's not even had one season with us inc of no pre season and a string of ridiculous injuries to key players. Plus he doesn't sign players, David Burke and his team do this, he is a coach not a manager. Judge him at the end of next season

laters

Gus had developed the squad, knew English football inside out and had a great contacts book. Oscar has come in with no experience of this league, too late to oversee pre-season, and faced one of the worst injury crises we've experienced. Being four points outside the top six is miraculous in the circumstances.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Gus had developed the squad, knew English football inside out and had a great contacts book. Oscar has come in with no experience of this league, too late to oversee pre-season, and faced one of the worst injury crises we've experienced. Being four points outside the top six is miraculous in the circumstances.

I don't get this 'too late to oversee preseason.' Oscar arrived on the first day back, so had the whole of preseason, including the week away in Spain where he was with the squad 24/7.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
No way should we get rid of Oscar and of course TB won't.
But.... There is definitely quite a lot of input on transfers from Jones and that may have been part of the plan for this season while Oscar adjusted. Next season though it has to be solely his choices although with the way scouting networks work nowadays I know things are different. Judge him around Christmas next season.

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011

Mackay took 4 seasons to get his first and only promotion. Who says he could do it again and why would he be doing any better than Oscar?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
When we were good under Poyet and it all came together we were very exciting but people forget the number of very dull games some of which we failed to muster a single shot at goal. It's understandable that commentators have only seen the exciting games.

Fair point...maybe the guy should have qualified his statement....he was with Claridge who is acting like a jilted lover towards Brighton at the mo and puts his constipated face on if asked about Garcia (i don't hav a problem with Claridge generally)

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

I watched a game on SC4 while we lived in Wales welsh cup game and Malky played and I thought then he would have been a great signing and when he got into management it did not change my mind
like the guy, seems honest but very feisty with upper management and I am not sure our upper management would like that.
they have worked with one very feisty guy would they want to work with another which sort of lead on to your last sentence
honestly don't think it would ever happen ..................sadly

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012

I often get the impression that commentators and pundits do very little research, and parrot received wisdom in place of independent thought. Not all of them, but a fair few. And I'm not anti-Poyet either.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I don't get this 'too late to oversee preseason.' Oscar arrived on the first day back, so had the whole of preseason, including the week away in Spain where he was with the squad 24/7.

maybe you could say too let to plan preseason ..its often said that managers start to plan for the next season before the last one has finished

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Do you honestly think TB would not want to get to the Prem asap and recoup some of his money he as invested in the club back?

I think anybody who decides to invest heavily in a football club would be aware that however high a league their club may ultimately play, they are unlikely to recoup very much (if any) of their investment.

But even if what you say is true, Oscar, in my opinion at least , is not the man to win us promotion.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Most home games this season i can honestly say i've been bored. Especially the first half shooting towards the south stand when we hardly ever score.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here