Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone else have doubts about Oscar being the right man to take us forward?

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I came away from the Wigan game breathless..we dominated the form side in the Division completely (Having come within a gnats chuff of dumping a mid-table premierhip side out of the Cup ), and but for 2 (rare) defensive mistakes, who knows. I love people's dismissal of certain players..I read on another thread that Orlando should go..one of the best players of last season and someone that we have missed for much of the season and who appears to getting back to his best. Goals from midfield are crucial in the way that we play, and that just isn;t happening at the moment, but look at Dale Stephens yesterday : a completely diferent kind of performance that says to me that he is adapting. Lastly, let's give Obika a chance..a few minutes here and there is tough for a young lad, who needs confidence as many strikers do. He was better on Saturday, and with a better decision late-on might well have set an equaliser up. Let him grow and see if he can become a player who just might be a gem.
I dont want to pay the kind of money that Leicester, QPR and Forest are paying for certain players, who look OK at this level (Nugent, Vardy, Doyle, Austin, even Barnes) but are not thought of highly enough for premiership, or have diasppointed in the premiership already : there is no long term plan there. They will be crying out for spending even more money to score enough goals to keep them in that league IF they go up. A manager and a coach who are prepared to work with players and improve them is what I want..and of they can do that whilst keeping us in and around the play-offs, then I don;t know what else I can realistically expect...I am enjoying it..

E

For me it's the formation that we play that frustrates the most, in particular the refusal to play 2 strikers in home games. That is not Burke or Barbers fault. We have to be more positive at home.

I don't know how much more positive we could have been on Saturday throughout the game..playing 2 up fron sounds great, but then you have to compensate somewhere else, and that normally means less of the ball, or longer balls through the middle. I would have no faith that Buckley, Lua Lua have the defensive nouse or willingness to play as wide midfielders in that system and would be receiving the ball further back ...The easier thing is to help your midfielders start to hit the box when we attack : Crofts had added that to his game this year, Stephens showed some sign of that against Wigan.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I came away from the Wigan game breathless..we dominated the form side in the Division completely (Having come within a gnats chuff of dumping a mid-table premierhip side out of the Cup ), and but for 2 (rare) defensive mistakes, who knows. I love people's dismissal of certain players..I read on another thread that Orlando should go..one of the best players of last season and someone that we have missed for much of the season and who appears to getting back to his best. Goals from midfield are crucial in the way that we play, and that just isn;t happening at the moment, but look at Dale Stephens yesterday : a completely diferent kind of performance that says to me that he is adapting. Lastly, let's give Obika a chance..a few minutes here and there is tough for a young lad, who needs confidence as many strikers do. He was better on Saturday, and with a better decision late-on might well have set an equaliser up. Let him grow and see if he can become a player who just might be a gem.
I dont want to pay the kind of money that Leicester, QPR and Forest are paying for certain players, who look OK at this level (Nugent, Vardy, Doyle, Austin, even Barnes) but are not thought of highly enough for premiership, or have diasppointed in the premiership already : there is no long term plan there. They will be crying out for spending even more money to score enough goals to keep them in that league IF they go up. A manager and a coach who are prepared to work with players and improve them is what I want..and of they can do that whilst keeping us in and around the play-offs, then I don;t know what else I can realistically expect...I am enjoying it..

Pretty much my thoughts. And no, I don't have any doubts. He has taken us to the fringe of the playoffs despite having a succession of injuries to key players in his first few months. Ask again this time next year when I'd hope we'd be firmly in a play-off place with a few new faces after the summer window.

carteater

Of course he is the right person, if you take the injuries, the lack of finance and everything that happened before he came here which lead to him having a shorter pre season with us than normal he is doing remarkably well to be well in contention for a play off place, though his post match interviews are a little dull, and he could stop scratching his ear during them

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
To be fair Algie, didn't you also write off Ulloa after about 3 games last season? Oscar's doing a great job all things considered. Very pleased with him.

JCL - the new kid in town

Aug 23, 2011
What, like Nugent and Vardy at Leicester, or Ings and Vokes at Burnley, or Martin and Russell at Derby or Johnson and Doyle at QPR??? I think you will find that the majority of Championship clubs play with two recognised strikers, whatever the formation. Some drop to one at away games. We will not score enough goals to win enough games to get out of this league playing the way we are now.

Aren't Derby playing 3 strikers at the moment with Bamford, Russell and Martin?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
OG strategy of starting games slowly could be his downfall.
At the opposite end of the scale Liverpool have scored 7 times in the first 5 minutes in the league and are proving irresistible.
Who can name the date when when a current squad member scored in the first 30 (thirty) minutes at home?

5 hours & counting

E

5 hours & counting

That doesn't prove a point for me. The fact that we haven't done so recently simply highlights the fact that we haven't been free scoring. To suggest that we don't try to start quickly seems a bit far fetched? We were great against Wigan, Leeds, Hull in the first half ...no idea what time the Ulloa goal was scored by the way....of course it might be different if we has Suarez, Sturridge and Strerling...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
No doubts whatsoever at this stage. Ticks so many boxes for our situation.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Given the cards he was dealt with I think Oscar has done ok, especially given the horrendous disruption to the squad throughout this season. He has taken time to adapt and there are signs that he is now learning and willing to play a more adventurous attacking formation. He has made a few mistakes, but nothing terminal. At least Oscar is willing to use a plan B and to give the youngsters a chance.

I suppose we might have expected Oscar to be a bit more animated than his very passive and dignified public persona. There are not even reports of any hairdryer treatment or flying tea cups in the dressing room, so I guess 'what we see is what we get'. I have always said it is not fair to judge Oscar until he has a fully fit squad to select from.

I do have questions about Nathan Jones - or maybe just insufficient information about what he adds to the management team. I wonder what the dynamics are like among the coaching team?

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
This thread reminds me of the same one that went on the season before we won League 1 and people were saying Poyet wasn't the right man to take us up...I hope history is going to repeat itself.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
I'm going to stick my neck out and say I have my doubts. My biggest concern is our organisation at the back and the way we use the flanks to build, but not to attack. It's extremely frustrating. Personally, for me, I don't think Oscar is up to it. I think he's done OK, but after being spoilt rotten by Poyet football it just doesn't compare this season. I'm certain we won't make the Play Offs and that is ultimately the manager failure because our squad is good enough.

I hope this all comes back to bite me in the arse of course.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
I'm going to stick my neck out and say I have my doubts. My biggest concern is our organisation at the back and the way we use the flanks to build, but not to attack. It's extremely frustrating. Personally, for me, I don't think Oscar is up to it. I think he's done OK, but after being spoilt rotten by Poyet football it just doesn't compare this season. I'm certain we won't make the Play Offs and that is ultimately the manager failure because our squad is good enough.

I hope this all comes back to bite me in the arse of course.

Last season after 31 games: 46 points, 34 goals conceded

This season after 31 games: 46 points, 27 goals conceded

If you feel you were "spoilt rotten" by Poyet football, and that this season just doesn't compare, I can only conclude that you enjoy watching Albion concede goals. :shrug:

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness

If you feel you were "spoilt rotten" by Poyet football, and that this season just doesn't compare, I can only conclude that you enjoy watching Albion concede goals. :shrug:

Doing well every year just gets boring!

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton

Don't be ridiculous. If you're such a fan of statistics, perhaps we should bring Pulis in? Or Big Sam? I was referring, as I stated clearly, to the football under Poyet. The passing. The movement. The discipline. It was a joy to watch and won us national plaudits.

Are you seriously saying the football under Oscar is as good as it was under Poyet?

The biggest criticism of Poyet was his lack of a plan B. To his credit, plan A worked pretty damn well.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Can't help but notice you've missed out goals scored, why's that?

I'm a fan of Oscar and Poyet, but we're not up to the standard we were under Poyet last season yet. Not that I'd expect us to be yet, but we definitely were spoiled.

The Truth

Banned
Sep 11, 2008
None of your buisness
Can't help but notice you've missed out goals scored, why's that?

I'm a fan of Oscar and Poyet, but we're not up to the standard we were under Poyet last season yet. Not that I'd expect us to be yet, but we definitely were spoiled.

I think the Palace playoff 2nd leg proved how spoilt we were under Poyet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here