Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Anyone else considering cancelling their ST's?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I've wondered whether we are just a club that doesn't really like being in one league too long? Do we miss the despair of a nasty old relegation followed by the optimism of doing well in the league below?

I'm 99% sure we'll survive this season, and enjoy our 6th consecutive season in the top flight. This follows 6 consecutive seasons in the Championship. Prior to that you have to go back to 1965 - 1972 when we were in a league for more than 5 consecutive seasons.

Next season will mean our 16th season without a relegation! That hasn't happened since our 1921 - 1958 stay in the old Div 3 South. When you look at our history of seasons it was rare not to go longer than 4 seasons without a relegation or promotion.

Are we missing the roller coaster ride? In Bargain Hunt terminology, is wiping our face not quite enough?

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Which one was that?

"I didn't get a Lewes season ticket to have to put up with crowds and queues for the bar!"

Or ... "Real shame the Worthing players play on real grass so rarely they have such difficulty staying upright" :wink:

The whole match experience at The Dripping Pan was superb - including the result (for me). Having a proper stand at each end made for a really good and traditional atmosphere. Everyone so friendly ... had a lovely chat with Lewes groundsman who was rightly proud of his authentic grass pitch! I'd go back for the pie, mash and mushy peas alone!

Anyway ... back to this thread. I have renewed my season ticket and will probably continue travelling to games on Seagull Travel bus. Yes, it costs (waiting to find out what the increased season ticket is for travel) ... but it does take away so much of the hassle of getting to and from the Amex.

But I'm getting more choosy on away games now and will go to more Worthing games when Brighton aren't at home.

The second one. Enjoy National League South next season

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Hi Have renewed my and my daughters ST's. I just hope the football improves at home games. I am not a fan of watching Potter Bore.

My daughter and I have been to 12 of the 13 home games this season (we missed the 2 nil home win against Watford). So far this season I have spent £780 on our ST's and we have witnessed the Albion scoring 8 times. That works out at £97.50 per goal :wozza:

South west gull

Nov 3, 2021
Hi Have renewed my and my daughters ST's. I just hope the football improves at home games. I am not a fan of watching Potter Bore.

My daughter and I have been to 12 of the 13 home games this season (we missed the 2 nil home win against Watford). So far this season I have spent £780 on our ST's and we have witnessed the Albion scoring 8 times. That works out at £97.50 per goal :wozza:
Tremendous value for [emoji389]

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I was absolutely on the brink, but am renewing:

Arguments against included: poor home performances (my middle son is really not engaged), the rising price of petrol (I come down from London) and the petty £20-to-share ST thing (although I think it's reasonable that recipients should be members). Stewarding in Family Section (C) could be better too. (Also: clashes with many other weekend activities, as kids get older)

Arguments for: We have good seats; kids tickets are cheap; it's expensive to go to several one-off games; want loyalty points to get to London matches... and it's quality 'dad and son(s)' time. I reckon I (or the club) have got one season to turn my middle son into a lifelong supporter. Gulp.

I don't care about KOs moving around Saturdays and Sundays (The Championship, with its many mid-week/evening games, was worse). But obviously the Brentford/Boxing Day situation should never, ever happen again.

In general, I think the club needs to work hard on improving the match day experience for all. The creeping, petty rules (eg no flasks; small bags only) REALLY grate sometimes...

Last edited:

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I get the feeling you will have the same dilemma this time next year.enjoy

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

If next season is the same I have promised Mrs Oldman that will be my last season ticket. She is really fed up with my post match moans. As I am in my eighties Mrs O thinks my time is too short to waste so much time at the Amex.!

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I was on the brink and gone the other way and cancelled this morning.

Arguments for cancelling: Son is playing a decent level of u12 football, U13 next season and his own KO dates and training sessions clash with more and more matches (trains Tues and Thurs, plays generally Sundays). He's not that engaged in Albion games tbh. Perhaps there's not enough winning goals, there's definitely too many later / evening KOs that he personally doesn't like. COST - a big one really. I don't have that many issues with the club, they're running a well oiled business, my match day experiences are generally fine, but as [MENTION=189]Wozza[/MENTION] said, tiny things like cycling on a cold winter day and I can't have a bag with wet whether clothes or additional layers in - I literally had to put the layers on us both, fold up the bag and I was allowed in!!

I clicked to have Albion+ membership for next season, so can either share some mate's tickets or buy match by match. Think son would likely get more out of going to say 6 games and he was pretty excited about being able to pick and choose where in the stadium.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was on the brink and gone the other way and cancelled this morning.

Arguments for cancelling: Son is playing a decent level of u12 football, U13 next season and his own KO dates and training sessions clash with more and more matches (trains Tues and Thurs, plays generally Sundays). He's not that engaged in Albion games tbh. Perhaps there's not enough winning goals, there's definitely too many later / evening KOs that he personally doesn't like. COST - a big one really. I don't have that many issues with the club, they're running a well oiled business, my match day experiences are generally fine, but as [MENTION=189]Wozza[/MENTION] said, tiny things like cycling on a cold winter day and I can't have a bag with wet whether clothes or additional layers in - I literally had to put the layers on us both, fold up the bag and I was allowed in!!

I clicked to have Albion+ membership for next season, so can either share some mate's tickets or buy match by match. Think son would likely get more out of going to say 6 games and he was pretty excited about being able to pick and choose where in the stadium.

As the Dad of an Albion supporting 19 year old, in my experience, your move might actually hook your son to the Albion more long-term.

Mine was used to win after win under Slade/Poyet in his first Albion years, he then got hugely deflated in 2011/12 when we so often failed to win and seldom scored at The Amex. He didn't enjoy the treks out one bit.

So he decided he wasn't going to go any more.

Fast forward to the very beginning of the Hughton era and he got the Albion spell back. Since then, he's gone to far more games than me including some away games, he loves the club.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
This thread is a good source of potential recipients for any STHs on here that can't make matches and would like to pass tickets on........would be useful to have a list of those that have cancelled STs but bought A+ for next season

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
This thread is a good source of potential recipients for any STHs on here that can't make matches and would like to pass tickets on........would be useful to have a list of those that have cancelled STs but bought A+ for next season

Good idea. In 6 months time we should have a thread “those who regretted cancelling their ST”

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry

That’s a good shout in my mind Dazzer. I HAVE renewed my ST in WSU(on 18yd line North Stand end) but am now in Ireland a lot of the time since I’ve retired(Mrs C is Irish) so have only actually attended 5/13 so far at home

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Some really interesting stories on this thread - thanks to all those that have shared.

I'm renewing, but I could quite easily not. The whole thing feels somewhat less fun that it used to. Reflecting, I'm just not sure I particularly look forward to games in the way I did previously.

I'm renewing because my son is getting a bit more into it. The ability to transfer tickets ahead of this season came at the perfect time for us as the ticket was his sister's, and she went off to university in September. As he gets older, I hope the time we share at games fortifies our relationship.

I'm also renewing because I love our seats - front row of the WSU - that we've had since the Amex opened. Some of those around of us have moved on, and I do hope that the two elderly gents who had been either side of us since we arrived at the Amex simply decided it was no longer for them. Given the Covid pandemic,

Finally, I'm also renewing because I do wonder how many games I'd make if I fell back to going for selected matches. Two tickets for Liverpool in the WSU are £104 currently. I do think I'd struggle to justify that - I could buy a pair of running shoes that will last me more than 90 minutes, for example - and dodgy streams of every game provides an easy excuse to say "I'll just watch this one at home".

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Finally, I'm also renewing because I do wonder how many games I'd make if I fell back to going for selected matches. Two tickets for Liverpool in the WSU are £104 currently. I do think I'd struggle to justify that - I could buy a pair of running shoes that will last me more than 90 minutes, for example - and dodgy streams of every game provides an easy excuse to say "I'll just watch this one at home".

Which demonstrates the power and value of the monthly DD system to the club. Without it, I do wonder how many would baulk at stumping up £650+ as a one off payment?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Have to admit that as time goes by, I find myself attracted more and more by the ethos and fundamental principles underlying Lewes FC. They're our St Pauli. It's not so much that the Albion have done anything wrong, they're about as ethical an EPL club as is possible to find. Can't help but feel an increasing disconnect tho, on more than one level. Never thought I'd feel that way :down:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Some really interesting stories on this thread - thanks to all those that have shared.

I'm renewing, but I could quite easily not. The whole thing feels somewhat less fun that it used to. Reflecting, I'm just not sure I particularly look forward to games in the way I did previously.

I'm renewing because my son is getting a bit more into it. The ability to transfer tickets ahead of this season came at the perfect time for us as the ticket was his sister's, and she went off to university in September. As he gets older, I hope the time we share at games fortifies our relationship.

I'm also renewing because I love our seats - front row of the WSU - that we've had since the Amex opened. Some of those around of us have moved on, and I do hope that the two elderly gents who had been either side of us since we arrived at the Amex simply decided it was no longer for them. Given the Covid pandemic,

I've never been up there, but I always imagined that the view from front-row WSU seats must be almost as good as 1901, but for half the price. Hence they were like gold dust and the first seats snapped up back in 2011 by fans that held season tickets for several consecutive years pre-Amex. I certainly wouldn't want to be giving them up lightly!

Napier

Jan 27, 2009
Devon
Left it to the last minute - I was also on the brink, but have just renewed.

VAR, poor refereeing, overpaid prima donnas, cheating, poor form, lack of investment in a striker, dearth of goals, time and cost of petrol for the 350 mile round trip, bottle tops and flasks all tempted me to call it a day.

That great feeling of joy and "all being well with the world" after witnessing a win or a great performance (Leicester, Arsenal, Chelsea and Brentford home this season) persuaded me to give it another season. Besides, supporting the Albion has always been a rollercoaster of emotion and who knows what the youngsters in the wings will bring to the side next season.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Have to admit that as time goes by, I find myself attracted more and more by the ethos and fundamental principles underlying Lewes FC. They're our St Pauli. It's not so much that the Albion have done anything wrong, they're about as ethical an EPL club as is possible to find. Can't help but feel an increasing disconnect tho, on more than one level. Never thought I'd feel that way :down:

Don't fall into the trap of thinking that non-league clubs are necessarily all ethical and sweetness and light, plenty going on there behind the scenes that the average fan probably won't know about.

I know, l've seen it through my involvement at several non-league clubs.

ChazzyBHA

Dec 27, 2011
Sadly I have decided to give up my season ticket after 16 years with the Albion this season.

I have only managed to make 3 home games this season due to now working within football, so clashes are occurring quite often unfortunately.

However, I have made it to 4 away games this season, each of which I have had no problem getting a ticket. These games I would have also managed to get tickets for in a lower bracket than I am currently in. I'll be interested to see how difficult it will be to get hold of tickets next season, as i've never had to go through the membership route!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here