Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Anyone else considering cancelling their ST's?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Those bemoaning the ST sharing scheme as a reason. How many times have you been asked to show photo ID at a game this season?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It adds to the far longer list of things to have with you at games, just in case.

But how many times have people been asked to? Since the invention of Apple pay I never carry cards - including photo ID and it hasn't stopped me doing anything except getting in some bar in Brighton who insisted on ID to be scanned on a machine to 'register' you. Certainly in football never a problem. I know it was a threat during covid but even the height of NHS passports - they didn't even check 10% of the capacity right?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It adds to the far longer list of things to have with you at games, just in case.

Apart from your ticket/phone what else do you need to carry?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
But how many times have people been asked to? Since the invention of Apple pay I never carry cards - including photo ID and it hasn't stopped me doing anything except getting in some bar in Brighton who insisted on ID to be scanned on a machine to 'register' you. Certainly in football never a problem. I know it was a threat during covid but even the height of NHS passports - they didn't even check 10% of the capacity right?

Two years ago - you literally just needed to leave home with your physical ST card on you.

This season:
1. Ensure you have phone on you, with plenty of power.
2. Take ID.
3. Ensure the latest digital match ticket is showing within the phone’s wallet.
4. NHS Covid Pass, recently updated.

First world issues, but just to see some players kick a ball around, life got more bureaucratic.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Two years ago - you literally just needed to leave home with your physical ST card on you.

This season:
2. Take ID.

First world issues, but just to see some players kick a ball around, life got more bureaucratic.

How many times was your ID checked?

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

This season:
2. Take ID.

Is point 3. correct?

I thought the club said the QR code would work anyway, irrespective of the team named on it.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I will renew for 2022/23 because I want to see how I feel back to watching, post-Covid.

I don't feel there is much more the club can do to enrich the matchday experience, the reservations I have are the external factors like VAR and the domination by the Big 6. Indeed, if the Newcastle money comes through as it inevitably will then that will lock out another European place. Villa are starting to up their budget in order to compete, and that didn't end well for them when they hit a brick wall under Martin O'Neill.

I can see that we could be in third tier purgatory for years to come, i.e. too established and well organised to be overtaken by the yo-yo teams, but not having the budget to compete with the Big 6 and second tier and thus losing 1-2 of our best players to the top half sides every year.

In some ways that is the worst place to be because you don't even get the rollercoaster ride of a relegation fight.

I'm grateful to be where we are, and the upward journey is continuing but the inevitability of money dictating from this point in is likely to make for a dull spectacle. I look at Leeds and see how teams that try and play exciting football just get ripped apart in the Prem, and where desperation to survive means clubs hiring the likes of Roy Hodgson aged 74.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Are you you saying score that off the list, no need to take it?

In about 22 years of watching live football, the only time I have ever had to present ID for a football match is either a major tournament (Euros or World Cup) or following England abroad (mandatory ticket collection in the city the match is - ID required.) Even when they threatened it for the Palace games a few years back never saw anyone checked. I think it is there in case the club suspect some foul play or touting or similar but when the stewards at my gate barely even search anyone I can't see how they would be ID checking fans.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

This season:
2. Take ID.

1. You just need to ensure you have some charge; doesn’t need to be much.
2. Agree
3. I’m not sure this is an issue.
4. This isn’t a requirement now. And when it was, it was fully justified.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

This season:
2. Take ID.

Only 1 applies now really. Digital ST works even if it hasn’t been updated to show the right ticket (or at least did on the one occasion mine hadn’t updated).

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I love the opportunity to go to a game or two when I am able to return to the UK. Last time I managed Newcastle and Chelsea away, and it was bloody marvellous! Until reading the above post I was unsure as to whether I would have a season ticket these days, in the year or two before emigrating I enjoyed sitting in different stands with different people. I also liked being able to pick and choose my games without a financial guilt trip chiming in about wasting my season ticket. I still went to most matches but there is no way on earth I would have turned up for 8pm Boxing Day!

But the line from the post above which would have made me give a season ticket up is just astonishing. I would love to be able to ask Mr Barber to produce the relevant figures as to how many motorcycle helmets had been used as an assault weapon in hooliganism or as an IED over the last twenty years at Albion games? Even if he came up with an excuse of preventing a terrorist incident before it happened, I would ask why he then allowed helmets to be stored in a busy stadium, unless it was for anything other than profit?

I realise that a profit should be turned, and that bills need to be paid, but £5 for a motorcycle helmet, really??? Gobsmacking. Apart from giving up a season ticket I may well have said ‘cluck it’ full stop.

Just as a point of reference, Aussie Rules are doing a family ticket package to get fans back into stadiums in this post Covid era. I realise that players wages are minuscule when compared to those of Prem players, but $50 for 2 x adult and 2x child per match is a polar opposite to anything PB could envisage.

I take my daughter on the back so it's a tenner. Was free last season in a cupboard by security.
For the previous 8+ years of being a ST holder we could take them in with us. Just feels like one more way to fleece us. Yes Tony's put in millions blah blah blah, but £10 extra per game is a significant amount ontop of everything else to me. Tony probably spends that on a glass of wine, good on him for making millions. But I'm not in the same financial bracket.

Must admit that I was there at 8pm boxing day. Not bad for a plastic glory hunter :thumbsup:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Those bemoaning the ST sharing scheme as a reason. How many times have you been asked to show photo ID at a game this season?

Never for match ticket, only against covid pass. Wasn’t even checked at Palace away this season for some reason.
However, you still need to be able to transfer your ticket to someone who has bought a membership and have paid your £20 even if you’re prepared to break the T&C

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I will renew for 2022/23 because I want to see how I feel back to watching, post-Covid.

I don't feel there is much more the club can do to enrich the matchday experience, the reservations I have are the external factors like VAR and the domination by the Big 6. Indeed, if the Newcastle money comes through as it inevitably will then that will lock out another European place. Villa are starting to up their budget in order to compete, and that didn't end well for them when they hit a brick wall under Martin O'Neill.

I can see that we could be in third tier purgatory for years to come, i.e. too established and well organised to be overtaken by the yo-yo teams, but not having the budget to compete with the Big 6 and second tier and thus losing 1-2 of our best players to the top half sides every year.

In some ways that is the worst place to be because you don't even get the rollercoaster ride of a relegation fight.

I'm grateful to be where we are, and the upward journey is continuing but the inevitability of money dictating from this point in is likely to make for a dull spectacle. I look at Leeds and see how teams that try and play exciting football just get ripped apart in the Prem, and where desperation to survive means clubs hiring the likes of Roy Hodgson aged 74.

9 wins in an entire good season and an average of a goal a game isn’t enticing to me.

Spot on about Newcastle. The day the sports-washers completed their purchase, that changed the EPL for good. With a January transfer window coming up, the ncs’ers who still mocked their coming relegation failed to spot that money in the EPL is almost everything in terms of short and long term success. Everton were surreptitiously playing the same game by the backdoor with Usmanov’s money. Villa’s owners are worth £7b and have treated the pandemic as a non event in terms of player spending.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
What I do not understand is what some fans really thought would happen in the Premier League, it is really tough,

Maybe score a few more goals at home, score or even turn up when playing teams below or around us in the league.
We seem to raise our game against Arsenal and Chelsea but looked like a League 1 side against Burnley recently.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Maybe score a few more goals at home, score or even turn up when playing teams below or around us in the league.
We seem to raise our game against Arsenal and Chelsea but looked like a League 1 side against Burnley recently.

That all may happen over time but it is a very long process becoming an established Premier League side

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

The reason mid table teams are mid table is because they are inconsistent. Which team do you think we should aspire to be like?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here