[Albion] Anyone else considering cancelling their ST's?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Serious question. What are people looking for? It’s almost as if supporters (or customers as the precious would have it) are wanting the red carpet rolled out for them as soon as they step onto the platform at falmer. It’s as if barber should be standing there with a pint of Harvey’s the moment they step off the train. Bloom with a pie in hand. There’s so much grumbling about how bad things are, obviously heightened by the fact we’re not a top ten premier league team just yet. But what exactly do people want? Withdean? League one/championship football? Football and the match day experience is what you make of it, for the most part. Who you go with. Friends. Family. Fun. The rest of it is out of everyone’s control and always has been. Either enjoy it for what it is, or don’t bother.

Says the bloke thousands of miles away if your location is true. Anyway:
- Ridiculous KO times (8pm Boxing Day was, well words fail me)
- Being squeezed for every penny (ban motorbike helmets and charge £5 to look after them etc.)
- Albion+ fiasco. Means I can't lend my tickets to mates for the odd game when I can't go.
- Horrendous P&R and train travel to get to a game, especially in the rain at silly times.
- And probably the biggest thing but I found our football frustrating and now boring . All possession, lovely ticky tacky icing with no cake. All the draws and losses at home have been soul destroying to me with many other demands on my time and money.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I've cancelled one but kept mine. Most of my friends have now cancelled.
The Albion + membership is to blame in most cases. We used to share tickets.
If someone couldn't go to the game we'd bring another mate or family member.
If I'm honest I really want to cancel mine as well but I'd let down the person I sit next to and I've got shit loads of loyalty points.
I still enjoy London away games.
I'm pretty sure next season will be my last unless they play really good football at home

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I'm in but my reason is the reverse of many.

I really want to go out on a high.

Me and Jnr at the Albion's first away game in Europe.
Jnr's first Wembley cup final.
I don't want to be the fan who suddenly appears wondering why the centre back doesn't have a head band on.

Fortunately my levels of self loathing far outweigh the Albion's levels of capitulation.

Although I should be realistic as I guess to you don't always get what you want

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Why wouldn’t a football fan’s first thought be to defend their club? Seems an entirely reasonable response to what is often an irrational tribal endeavor anyway. The point perhaps you should be asking is why so fans have a first response to criticise their club?

“you prove anything with facts” - one of my favourite Stewart Lee sketches.:thumbsup:

It isn't my first response.

I criticise if I think they've done something wrong.

And I like Stewart Lee too :lol:

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I can just about tolerate the travel issues. If it falls into place, its great but a problem down the line can be a real arse ache.

My VFM issue is the conversion from away keepers frequently being MotM to giving them an hour and a half off. Its a totally different feeling of frustration as I walk away.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Well I've renewed. No real complaints from me apart from the train service over the past few months, which is out of the club's hands and surely won't be as bad next season. Already looking forward to the evolvement of the squad over the summer with reintroduction of loaned out players and other possible additions of players we'd never previously heard of.

I reckon most people are like me. Even after 14/15 we had something like an 80% renewal.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Yes. I think you’re right. But I’d rather have barber donning the lab coat/graphing calculator as opposed to the late not so great bellotti. And I’m quite happy to see see bloom tinkering around with the compass rather than billy archer leading the way. Not sure where Greg Stanley fits into this awful analogy, but anyway... People will run the club the way they see fit. We’ll win games. We’ll lose games. Sometimes it will be good to great. Sometimes it’ll be rubbish. That’s the way it’s always been. It would be the same if uncle dick was still running the show. I do agree that modern day football and the antics at clubs makes a mockery of life in general. That’s why I am proud of the way bloom and barber are trying to run the club and move it forward on their terms.

I couldn't agree more, but over the last 10 years the club have gained a lot of shiny new plastic fans who never went to the Withdean let alone the dark days at Gillingham and they have a different outlook than many of us who have been watching the club for over 50 years. We know what bad is. Where were the extra 20,000 fans at Withdean? I know it was a small capacity and a bit of a dump but very few of the matches actually ever sold out.

The newer generation just want everything now and don't appreciate where we have come from. As disappointing as the last few games have been I personally am happy to just see the club survive in the Premier league from year to year, with a few great highlights along the way.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I've cancelled one but kept mine. Most of my friends have now cancelled.
The Albion + membership is to blame in most cases. We used to share tickets.
If someone couldn't go to the game we'd bring another mate or family member.
If I'm honest I really want to cancel mine as well but I'd let down the person I sit next to and I've got shit loads of loyalty points.
I still enjoy London away games.
I'm pretty sure next season will be my last unless they play really good football at home

You know if you become an Albion+ member right away, you keep your loyalty points?

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I couldn't agree more, but over the last 10 years the club have gained a lot of shiny new plastic fans who never went to the Withdean let alone the dark days at Gillingham and they have a different outlook than many of us who have been watching the club for over 50 years. We know what bad is. Where were the extra 20,000 fans at Withdean? I know it was a small capacity and a bit of a dump but very few of the matches actually ever sold out.

The newer generation just want everything now and don't appreciate where we have come from. As disappointing as the last few games have been I personally am happy to just see the club survive in the Premier league from year to year, with a few great highlights along the way.

Thanks for the dig and barbs, you seem to know so much about me that I should come and see you for life coaching, maybe for my 60th next year? :thumbsup:

Maybe some of us weren't able to go to Withdean due to financial / family / work and other commitments. But no, anyone who didn't go through the 'Withdean Era' or Gillingham is just a plastic fan who is just here for the glory. Not really BHAFC fans eh?

Sat through every Hyypia home game, didn't miss one, because I loved the glory.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Yes, a 2300 sell out. I was there with [MENTION=225]Hamilton[/MENTION] and a large group of friends that included at least three other Albion ST holders.

It was brilliant, the whole day was what football with your mates used to be like.

It was my fifth visit to The Dripping Pan this season. It's the future, in my book.

Speaking as someone who swapped their Albion season ticket for a Lewes one five years ago.i have no regrets, still went to a few Albion games pre COVID, only made it to one this season, but while going to the Albion feels special, I enjoy the Lewes games a lot more.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex

Each to their own.

I had a season ticket in the last 4 years of the Withdean - and from memory it was sold out pretty much every game. This is my 15th year of holding a season ticket.

Does this make me the "newer generation?" For many on here, the actual football is only part of it. We can tolerate rubbish trains, parking cock ups, fees to transfer tickets etc, but it all adds up. To the point where its just not enjoyable any more. Many have a match day experience which is just getting worse.

I've mentioned this before but we are in the here and now. We all appreciate how far we've come but that's not the driver of what's going to happen in the future and the number of fans who went to the Goldstone and Gillingham will dwindle over time. The club can't just keep relying on this cohort to get away with unpopular decisions. A lot more fans go to the Amex than either Withdean or the Goldstone and the club need to try and keep them. They may be plastic in your view but are still spending the thick end of 1k a year going to games....

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Speaking as someone who swapped their Albion season ticket for a Lewes one five years ago.i have no regrets, still went to a few Albion games pre COVID, only made it to one this season, but while going to the Albion feels special, I enjoy the Lewes games a lot more.

Finding myself going to the Nye Camp more and more. It's great fun.

Wonder if the non league ultras will use the forum as a means of hurling abuse at each other in the future?

One team one dream....

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Finding myself going to the Nye Camp more and more. It's great fun.

Wonder if the non league ultras will use the forum as a means of hurling abuse at each other in the future?

One team one dream....

I did have a dig at Worthing on the non-League thread on Saturday but no-one responded and was too nice

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I did have a dig at Worthing on the non-League thread on Saturday but no-one responded and was too nice

Which one was that?

"I didn't get a Lewes season ticket to have to put up with crowds and queues for the bar!"

Or ... "Real shame the Worthing players play on real grass so rarely they have such difficulty staying upright" :wink:

The whole match experience at The Dripping Pan was superb - including the result (for me). Having a proper stand at each end made for a really good and traditional atmosphere. Everyone so friendly ... had a lovely chat with Lewes groundsman who was rightly proud of his authentic grass pitch! I'd go back for the pie, mash and mushy peas alone!

Anyway ... back to this thread. I have renewed my season ticket and will probably continue travelling to games on Seagull Travel bus. Yes, it costs (waiting to find out what the increased season ticket is for travel) ... but it does take away so much of the hassle of getting to and from the Amex.

But I'm getting more choosy on away games now and will go to more Worthing games when Brighton aren't at home.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Renewed

Junior has enjoyed his first season and I enjoy taking him to games as it’s our thing we do once a fortnight.

He is starting to query though why we are so rubbish at home as hasn’t seen us win since Leicester (didn’t go on Boxing Day)

I’ve shown him pictures of Priestfield and had to explain how lucky he is in comparison.

He’s since joined the school team and saw him doing a Maupay tears celebration when he set up a goal so just about on the positive side for him at the minute!

Home form needs to be improved upon and we as attending fans have a lot to do

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I don't have a ST to either renew or cancel but I have umm'ed and urr'ed about getting one over the years, so I can partially understand the dilemma for those that are currently faced with this choice.

The economics of a ST and the ability top spread that cost via DD plus the benefit of being sat with the same people is obviously a massive plus; but for me the major drawback would be the constant moving feast of kick-off dates and times for TV and the notice given. I know this isn't the club's doing and is a unavoidable evil of being a PL club. But you can only expect people to keep their other commitments outside of going to the football fluid so many times a season. The two or three 3pm Saturday k/o's at home between August and February is ripping the piss out of STH's elasticity of loyalty - especially those who travel from outside the immediate area.

So I'm quite happy picking up tickets for individual matches (or go to League One games) - although as a separate point I think ALL PL clubs may have to look at their pricing models for individual games for season 22/23 and be a little more imaginative. With fuel bills set to go through the roof in the next few weeks plus associated food inflation and a massive hike in NI contributions around the corner, going to a PL football match is going to prove one discretionary spend too far for many - and all the while it is becoming increasingly impossible to ignore the elephant in the stadium that the 22 players on the pitch are picking up between 40 and 150 grand a week. I don't blame them as I would do the same were it available and offered (sadly not, in my case) - and footballer salaries will never mirror UK domestic economics all the while the clubs at the very top are bankrolled by middle-eastern entities. But at some point something has to give and I truly believe that for season 22/23 the thing that will 'give' will be people's ability or willingness to shell out £40/£50/£60 for a single PL ticket (plus associated matchday costs).

I loved Nick Horby's Fever Pitch when it was first published, but applying the Law of Unintended Consequences, it has a lot to answer for...

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Says the bloke thousands of miles away if your location is true. Anyway:
- Ridiculous KO times (8pm Boxing Day was, well words fail me)
- Being squeezed for every penny (ban motorbike helmets and charge £5 to look after them etc.)
- Albion+ fiasco. Means I can't lend my tickets to mates for the odd game when I can't go.
- Horrendous P&R and train travel to get to a game, especially in the rain at silly times.
- And probably the biggest thing but I found our football frustrating and now boring . All possession, lovely ticky tacky icing with no cake. All the draws and losses at home have been soul destroying to me with many other demands on my time and money.

I love the opportunity to go to a game or two when I am able to return to the UK. Last time I managed Newcastle and Chelsea away, and it was bloody marvellous! Until reading the above post I was unsure as to whether I would have a season ticket these days, in the year or two before emigrating I enjoyed sitting in different stands with different people. I also liked being able to pick and choose my games without a financial guilt trip chiming in about wasting my season ticket. I still went to most matches but there is no way on earth I would have turned up for 8pm Boxing Day!

But the line from the post above which would have made me give a season ticket up is just astonishing. I would love to be able to ask Mr Barber to produce the relevant figures as to how many motorcycle helmets had been used as an assault weapon in hooliganism or as an IED over the last twenty years at Albion games? Even if he came up with an excuse of preventing a terrorist incident before it happened, I would ask why he then allowed helmets to be stored in a busy stadium, unless it was for anything other than profit?

I realise that a profit should be turned, and that bills need to be paid, but £5 for a motorcycle helmet, really??? Gobsmacking. Apart from giving up a season ticket I may well have said ‘cluck it’ full stop.

Just as a point of reference, Aussie Rules are doing a family ticket package to get fans back into stadiums in this post Covid era. I realise that players wages are minuscule when compared to those of Prem players, but $50 for 2 x adult and 2x child per match is a polar opposite to anything PB could envisage.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports