Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Another Ali J thwack!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This

His celebration after the Pompey goal was directed at the bench.
Not in a "look at me, give me my place back" type of a way.
It seemed more in an acknowledgement of their support.

I could be reading more into it than was there, but it seemed really positive to me.

I agree. I don't have any sense at all that Ali J does 'bittersweet' let alone 'bitter'.

He was trying out some weird things at throw ins (and even a corner) last night that had me intrigued.

sjamesb3466

Jan 31, 2009
Leicester
Let's face it, most of his performances prior to this season have been distinctly average and not what we all hoped for from a record signing. Yes he did shown glimpses of magic last season but was clearly not doing enough to justify a bigger role and that's without knowing what is going on behind the scenes. I suspect Ali J is now more settled and starting to understand what is expected of him and that GP can't afford any luxury players or passengers. I hope he gets his chance in the league (same for Ali Mac as I love the way he arrives late into the box) as I think he has now shown enough. Just my opinion but definitely no conspiracy.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Lets be honest here. Potter just does not want to admit he was and is wrong.

He will congrtulate Ali by subbing him when losing 3-0 at the 82nd minute.

And then all the fans will moan again.

Its funny that players who played 1000 or so minutes still get the nod. Something is fishy at the club....

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

No.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Who knows, we might even have a coach who can get the best out of players..........:shrug:

Maybe when Ben White came back from Leeds, he passed a message onto AJ from Bielsa. Given the bucket botherer is the greatest manager ever, that was probably enough to turn the Iranian into a footballing master :shrug:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
There's a reason he's still here. He could have forced a move, Potter could have moved him on and there would have been takers. I think you can see in his interviews and from what Potter says about him why he's still here: He's dedicated, hard-working, wants to learn and improve, had a hard time adjusting to the league (not a surprise considering he was mainly used as a defensive left winger) and genuinely seems a good guy to have around the squad.

He's an example of what to do if things don't go your way, which is knuckle down, listen and adapt. If he continues to do that, I have no doubt he can work his way into the squad on a more regular basis but the problem isn't him, it's Trossard who is nigh on undroppable at the moment.

The fact that he also strikes the ball with such luscious sweetness is a big help too I'd wager

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Let's face it, most of his performances prior to this season have been distinctly average and not what we all hoped for from a record signing. Yes he did shown glimpses of magic last season but was clearly not doing enough to justify a bigger role and that's without knowing what is going on behind the scenes. I suspect Ali J is now more settled and starting to understand what is expected of him and that GP can't afford any luxury players or passengers. I hope he gets his chance in the league (same for Ali Mac as I love the way he arrives late into the box) as I think he has now shown enough. Just my opinion but definitely no conspiracy.

A lot of the reason he hasn't done well is because he's been played out of position. Stick him on the right with freedom to roam and he's very good. Agree with regards to Alexis love the way he arrives late in the box bit Lampard like.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
There's a reason he's still here. He could have forced a move, Potter could have moved him on and there would have been takers. I think you can see in his interviews and from what Potter says about him why he's still here: He's dedicated, hard-working, wants to learn and improve, had a hard time adjusting to the league (not a surprise considering he was mainly used as a defensive left winger) and genuinely seems a good guy to have around the squad.

He's an example of what to do if things don't go your way, which is knuckle down, listen and adapt. If he continues to do that, I have no doubt he can work his way into the squad on a more regular basis but the problem isn't him, it's Trossard who is nigh on undroppable at the moment.

The fact that he also strikes the ball with such luscious sweetness is a big help too I'd wager

His £40k a week wages might also have been a factor in him staying.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
He plays, he scores, he must be Ali J, Ali J, Ali J.

Now what chant or tune would that fit???

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

Its funny that players who played 1000 or so minutes still get the nod. Something is fishy at the club....

Stephens, Murray, Duffy, Montoya, Mooy. All gone.

I can't be arsed to check they were all over 1000 minutes, but they were all established 1st teamers, no longer at the club, let alone in the 1st XI.

Potter seems more focussed on players that fit his philosophy/system and their form rather than sticking to some sort of 1st team clique. Just look at Dan Burn - dropped to the bench due to a change in formation & tactics, having done nothing wrong.

I really like Ali J and hope he's showing that he has the smarts & adaptability to fit into how Potter wants the team to play (the signs are there), but to suggest there's some sort of conspiracy to keep him out of the team is, frankly, lunacy.
:mad: :wrong:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
He’s got to do it regularly where it really matters against the top Premie4vLeague players.
He’s trying his best and these performances get him on the bench. It’s what he does from ther3 that will really count.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing

Stop being mischievous you little scamp

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

Sorry you've got to put what tune that's sung to otherwise it's never going to catch on...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"Even in his two mins from newcastle he nearly scored and probably would have done had trossard released the ball like a decent human being"

That forum is absolute bonkers :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here