Andy Naylor - serious chip on shoulder

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
The sort of comment which puts him in the club's good books which is far more important in his job than annoying a few herberts on NSC.
Wow! In that case one day maybe he'll break a story before two or three other Albion related sources have! *exciting*

Falmer Flutter ©

Feb 18, 2004
Petts Wood
I think people are getting confused about what is a news story and what is a comment piece. Forgive me if I'm wrong as I don't see the Argus too often, but isn't Talkback Naylor's opinion column? (I suppose the clue is in the name). If so, then I see absolutely nothing wrong with being a bit controversial and stirring up debate. That is, after all, what these columns are generally for.

And as for the poster that said he was being sensationalist just to sell newspapers – there aren't enough of these :facepalm: in the world.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
From Twitter today:
"The moaners are at it again, this time tkt prices for Sunderland. Cannot understand the fuss. More on this in Thursday's Talkback"
Andy Naylor is absolutely correct and does not deserve the abuse he gets from this site imo.
IMO he does deserve the abuse. There's basically no restriction to who can come here and post (even Palace fans are allowed), so of course there will be some moaners. His readers will assume that we are generally ungrateful fans, and that is not the case.

DanielT

wait wait wait... last time he talked about whingers in his column (column - hehe) he said categorically that he was referring to the comments on the Argus website, not NSC.

so either:

a) he is saying that people are moaning on The Argus comments again
or
b) he is talking about NSC moaning which means he lied before

Now a journalist... lying?!?! NEVER!!! so it must be option a, ergo, NSC can relax!

drop dead fred

Mar 8, 2011
The sort of comment which puts him in the club's good books which is far more important in his job than annoying a few herberts on NSC.

would that be the herberts that might buy that shit excuse of a local paper then ??

if he keeps up slating nsc i can see people on here boycotting the paper before to long

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Sex Panther.. hahahahhahahahahah

My Life.:facepalm:

I take it you haven't seen the film then. Nevermind. Anyway, my point was there was no need to stereotype all journos as you did. There are good ones, bad ones, mediocre ones and excellent ones. Much as you get in any other profession. For every controversial story published, there is one that is in the public interest and raises important issues.

For what it's worth, I think Naylor has got it wrong with his views on 'moaners' this season. Every fan is a customer and deserves their opinion.

Nov 20, 2003
hove
The main problem for Andy Naylor is that he has to play it safe ,over the years he has had plenty of meaty stories and opinions but if he had of gone to print Im sure the Albion would of made his life difficult in a journalistic sense , ive always found in my chats with him he always talks common sense I dont care if he suports Stoke it would be ashame if he printed every piece with rose tinted specs ect Think overall does a good job but you always have the feeling its with one arm tied behind his back.

I also think that now the club keep their business much more private(especially Gus) he has less to write about so is forced to dredge the internet for nothing stories.

So the way the Club has treated disabled supporters/fans/attendees at the Amex is a nothing story - it was first raised on here by Buzzer back in February but not a squeak?
Nothing either about the planning applications (and outcomes) for Bennett's Field and the Racecourse P&R either. Were the temporary and conditional approvals for both the best achievable outcomes?
Is it credible that the Club didn't know a planning application would be needed for a change of use at the Racecourse?
Why were councillors (of all three political parties) on the B&HCC planning committee critical of the the Club's approach to the P&R application and the stadium transport plan? How might the PC's comments (eg on sustainable transport) and the temporary nature of the Bennett's Field CP impact any proposal to extend capacity at the Amex?
There are a number of more interesting topics that Andy could cover but has chosen not to. Instead, we get this trivia dressed up as some big story that just happens to fit in with the sort of critcism the the Club's CEO directs at NSC from time to time. Now I wonder who was responsible for the decisions on Disabled parking/access and the the two planning applications?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
So the way the Club has treated disabled supporters/fans/attendees at the Amex is a nothing story - it was first raised on here by Buzzer back in February but not a squeak?
Nothing either about the planning applications (and outcomes) for Bennett's Field and the Racecourse P&R either. Were the temporary and conditional approvals for both the best achievable outcomes?
Is it credible that the Club didn't know a planning application would be needed for a change of use at the Racecourse?
Why were councillors (of all three political parties) on the B&HCC planning committee critical of the the Club's approach to the P&R application and the stadium transport plan? How might the PC's comments (eg on sustainable transport) and the temporary nature of the Bennett's Field CP impact any proposal to extend capacity at the Amex?
There are a number of more interesting topics that Andy could cover but has chosen not to. Instead, we get this trivia dressed up as some big story that just happens to fit in with the sort of critcism the the Club's CEO directs at NSC from time to time. Now I wonder who was responsible for the decisions on Disabled parking/access and the the two planning applications?

None of the those are the type of story a local sports journalist would tend to get involved with. They'd be handled by the news desk - hence the reason that there is quite often a difficult relationship between news and sports departments, with the sports bods having to pick up the pieces every time the news guys piss off all their contacts.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
None of the those are the type of story a local sports journalist would tend to get involved with. They'd be handled by the news desk - hence the reason that there is quite often a difficult relationship between news and sports departments, with the sports bods having to pick up the pieces every time the news guys piss off all their contacts.

Exactly, its not worth Naylors trouble trying to do one over on the club - Would be the end of his career as a sports journalist!

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Does he have to buy tickets so he can do his job?

I was thinking exactly the same thing.

Perhaps if he did, he wouldn't be quite so quick to have a pop at folk who would've appreciated a cheaper evening (what with the rising cost of football - not to mention life in general). While he was at it, maybe he should have had a moan about the Sunderland fans who think the prices are too high as well?

Last edited:

Sep 1, 2010
Well, as Mr Naylor INSISTS in using sweeping statements like "Internet moaners" i can only assume it would be fair to call people in the newspaper trade lying sensationalist scum(both of which are ridiculous statements of course) Everyone is entitled to an opinion right or wrong, a fair few people on here have had an opinion on the Sunderland ticket prices, so why does that cock Naylor have a problem with that?

Newspapers have abused their positions for politcal opinion/commentary for years and now he is throwing his toys out of the pram because other people want to share their view via another outlet. The printed press love using the freedom of speech card when it suits them. He is the worst Argus sports reporter i can remember.

A fair enough view of the sycophancy (that is what this seems to me) but not the type of relationship that's adopted by all sports writers/reporters - one of the more successful posts on NSC.
I wonder how AN would have handled "whingers" during the Archer/Bellotti/Stanley tenure.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A while back a new Argus employee joined NSC, she was in a on-line media role, does anyone know who i am talking about? Has anyone seen her on here recently?

This is local sports writing. Naylor should take a leaf from Colman's book, a class act of the highest sort.

News & Star | Carlisle United | Jon Colman | Francois Zoko is Carlisle Utd's creator not striker

Jo's on maternity leave so is not looking for stories right now

I thought Jon Colman's match report of the Brighton v Carlisle game was superb but that example you've posted strikes me as something dashed off quickly to fill space.

I do think people are a bit precious about Naylor. It's not even a story but a tweet - they're meant to be short and pithy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports