Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

And the next England manager is?

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Big Sam for me. I think he gets a poor rap in this country. He had always achieved success relative to the expectations wherever he has been. He was also one of the pioneers of sports science long before it was fashionable, I don't see him as being a yes man either. How the hell Hoddle who hasn't managed for years is even in the running shows how far we've come.

Hoddle has failed pretty badly at every club he's been at since England

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The main problem for me is the FA. A rotten, old boys club organisation. I don't think we lack the talented players. Next up I think is the media/fans. Players who fail in a penalty shoot-out are subject to too much criticism, which puts more pressure on our players in the next shootout. We should get behind our team, not criticise them. People suggest the players don't care, which I think is nonsense.

I want us to have the best chance of winning, and I don't think Sam is the man to provide that. I agree that we're not Spain and we're not Italy (we couldn't play their styles), but we can play a fast movement game - pressing and counter attacking etc.

Spot on. Agree with every single word.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'd be really happy if Big Sam got it. The man is a pragmatist, we would play the football that is most suited to the players we have. He is capable of managing a variety of formations. So we might be direct. As it stands the England team does not contain any players capable of playing pretty football anyway.

Couldn't agree less. Alli, Lallana, Vardy, Dier, Wilshere, Walker, Rose - what we have right now is a lot of players capable of playing intricate, quick football.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Couldn't agree less. Alli, Lallana, Vardy, Dier, Wilshere, Walker, Rose - what we have right now is a lot of players capable of playing intricate, quick football.

On the evidence of the euros what we have is a group of players who are mentally weak and who to a man looked bereft of basic football skills. We need a manager who can get the best out of our players and a manager who understands players in this country and what makes them tick. Whilst Allardyce is by no means the perfect fit I think in the medium term he deserves a crack at it.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
Well, we've tried the flashy big-name foreigners with CV's at glamorous continental clubs as long as their arms, and look where that's gotten us. We've had the establishment blazers in McLaren and Roy, and they've been a total unmitigated disaster.

Our footballers are thick, and they are bottlers. We need someone in that dressing room who will pick players on merit and not reputation, get them playing to a defined system that they all understand, and instill a bit of steel and spirit into them. GALVANISE them.

He's not a flash name with a worldwide rep, but for where we are right now, I think we could do a lot worse than Allardyce to shake things up and kick some arses into shape.

Definitely can't do any worse than the ones before.

Regarding our players being thick - we had this discussion at work the other day. I was of the opinion that the majority of them aren't thick. They are instead uneducated which is subtly different. I feel our issue is that we let these boys concentrate so much on football, media training, high life that they lack reasonable education and independent decision making when they reach adulthood.

I think it is something that can be taught over time but needs players to stop being treated constantly like children - they don't do their own tax, washing, cleaning, basics like changing lightbulbs and it really doesn't help

Maybe Allardyce is them man to kick them up the arse

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

I'm telling you Bielsa is the man to get the best out of our players.

Mopo and Klopp use the same tactics (well close enough) which would see them succeed in the England set up, players like Wilshire would fit into it as well.

He isn't a yes man, and he's got a proven track record at international level with Chile.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle

Alli, is super direct, yes he has skill, but he is not a wait for the perfect moment passer of the ball. He gets stuck in, makes those aggressive runs, tries to play the through ball all the time. In other words direct.

Lallana, yes he is more suited to a trickier slower style of play.

Vardy? Loves a ball over the top, chase and harass, great finisher. Skillful? Not really.

Dier, only in England would we pick a player who cannot pass for the base of the diamond in midfield. Potential yes, but quick intricate football? Eric Dier? No, I do not think so.

Wilshere yes, but always injured. We still do not really know what he is.

Walker and Rose, they are just quick Mellotron. That does not make them skillful.

I am surprised that you disagree with me on this. It is abundantly clear that these players are incapable of intricate skillful football. I know this because I watched them completely fail to break down Russia, Wales, Slovakia and Iceland just a few weeks a go.

SussexSeahawk

Jun 2, 2016
I'm telling you Bielsa is the man to get the best out of our players.

Mopo and Klopp use the same tactics (well close enough) which would see them succeed in the England set up, players like Wilshire would fit into it as well.

He isn't a yes man, and he's got a proven track record at international level with Chile.

I don't understand how Bielsa's name has barely been brought up (both here and more generally in the media). I guess it's just because everyone is so premier league focused and so anyone who have never managed (or played) in the premier league doesn't get a look.

Guardiola has said he's the best manager in the world. I'm sure Allardyce was his second choice...

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I don't understand how Bielsa's name has barely been brought up (both here and more generally in the media). I guess it's just because everyone is so premier league focused and so anyone who have never managed (or played) in the premier league doesn't get a look.

Guardiola has said he's the best manager in the world. I'm sure Allardyce was his second choice...

Sadly the FA would never give him the job because it is his way or he walks, which is what we need.

He has also managed in Spain, South America and France and Technically Italy.... so he has experience of different types of football.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Oh God. Now we'll have the Hughton to Sunderland rumours.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here