Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

And the next England manager is?

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
The amount of football snobbery shows just what's wrong at the moment. The expression you can't polish a turd springs to mind. It wasn't Hodgson's fault we were awful it's the players who didn't have the pride to wear the shirt. What's needed now is someone who will go in and not pander to their egos, someone who knows how to motivate and someone who will get across the system that he wants his team to play.
Allardyce all the way for me.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Its a form of football snobbery just to look at Allardyce's managerial record, see no silverware, and arrive at the conclusion that 'well he must be shit then'. We've had a procession of England managers with CV's PEPPERED with success at club level in this country and abroad, and where exactly has it got us ? What exactly have we achieved under these guiding lights ? Nothing. Zip. We've got worse.

Allardyce is not a flash name, he's not a world renowned manager. But he's someone with a track record of working within the limitations of what he's got to build teams that are organised, play to a system, know their jobs and are bloody hard to beat. We might just have to accept the fact that we are not the International equivalent of Barcelona, and we never will be. We can't copy Spains tica-taca. We need someone who can pick a squad of players and actually forge a TEAM out of them - that's what he does. He's done it his entire career.

Sorry if winning games will be boring, but I for one would quite like to see us get to a semi-final once in a while and maybe even beyond. Its not much to ask is it. IMO we'd actually have more chance of that with a team built and drilled by Allardyce than we would with whoever the latest flavour of the month from abroad. BEEN there, DONE that.

Whilst I agree looking at his CV is not all that fair I do think looking at the players he has historically used shows up more.

We have a young squad, that for the clubs play expansive attacking football and for what ever reason Big Sam hasn't shown he likes to work with young players or his game plan is line for that.

If we must get an English manager fine, but let's not make the same mistake of getting in a manager who is completely different to what the players are used to at club level.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Allardyce since leaving West ham. Bilic takes over getting better results and a more entertaining style of play.

I would go for Bilic rather than Allardyce, who has international experience as well. He comes across well as a pundit on TV as well.

Last edited:

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Its a form of football snobbery just to look at Allardyce's managerial record, see no silverware, and arrive at the conclusion that 'well he must be shit then'. We've had a procession of England managers with CV's PEPPERED with success at club level in this country and abroad, and where exactly has it got us ? What exactly have we achieved under these guiding lights ? Nothing. Zip. We've got worse.

Allardyce is not a flash name, he's not a world renowned manager. But he's someone with a track record of working within the limitations of what he's got to build teams that are organised, play to a system, know their jobs and are bloody hard to beat. We might just have to accept the fact that we are not the International equivalent of Barcelona, and we never will be. We can't copy Spains tica-taca. We need someone who can pick a squad of players and actually forge a TEAM out of them - that's what he does. He's done it his entire career.

Sorry if winning games will be boring, but I for one would quite like to see us get to a semi-final once in a while and maybe even beyond. Its not much to ask is it. IMO we'd actually have more chance of that with a team built and drilled by Allardyce than we would with whoever the latest flavour of the month from abroad. BEEN there, DONE that.

bob on fellah:bowdown:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Can someone explain to me what Klinnsmann has done?
He did well as the USA manager with arguably lesser players than England. He also got to a semi final in a world cup for Germany. Admittedly not considered a great success in that country.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
He did well as the USA manager with arguably lesser players than England. He also got to a semi final in a world cup for Germany. Admittedly not considered a great success in that country.

Qualifying for the WC with the USA isn't too difficult - Low seems to be the Brains.

Don't see it myself

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

This really. It's annoying that there isn't a wealth of options but Allardyce would ensure that the team gave everything and would generally have a plan.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I used to be firmly n the Allardyce over my dead body camp. But after witnessing first hand the totally gutless and clueless display of our team in France I have come to the view that he is exactly what we need. I can't see him putting his arm round Sterling, or not having the balls to drop certain "star" players.

He is more Mike Bassett than any England manager has ever been and he returned from a world cup to a hero's welcome. That's good enough for me.

Can someone give Benson and Hedges a call.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Allardyce since leaving West ham. Bilic takes over getting better results and a more entertaining style of play.

I would go for Bilic rather than Allardyce, who has international experience as well. He comes across well as a pundit on TV as well.

See this is fairly typical. Prior to Euro 2016, nobody, not ONE person, had ever once mentioned Slaven Bilic for England. Yet he has a couple of weeks punditry in an ITV studio, and all of a sudden he's the answer, he's the one.

I'm not saying he's not a good manager, but its just so typical of our latest "flavour-of-the-month" approach.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
God help us if Allardyce is appointed. A manager in the Slade mold. A fighter and nothing more.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Who actually gives a flying monkeys. National team has been a disaster for the last 20/25 years. No passion. It used to be an honour. Not now. Champions league is a bigger attraction. If I didn't watch another England game I would not be bothered. I'm truly in the BHAFC is the only football I watch camp including prem and spend my time watching rugby which is played by men with passion and that to play for their country is an honour.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My problem with Big Sam are his possession stats - typically his sides have 40%-45% and if you give decent international sides 55-60% possession you will win nothing, particularly with our defence.

It worries me that he's won nothing and it worries me the FA have always rejected him when his stock was higher than it is now. He lost out on interview to McLaren FFS!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
My problem with Big Sam are his possession stats - typically his sides have 40%-45% and if you give decent international sides 55-60% possession you will win nothing, particularly with our defence.

It worries me that he's won nothing and it worries me the FA have always rejected him when his stock was higher than it is now. He lost out on interview to McLaren FFS!

For some reason i am quite excited about him. I think we need someone to simultaneous give the players a massive kick up the backside while instilling some proper deep confidence in what they can achieve as a team. Big Sam has the potential to do this ........ will he? ...................... probably not. More likely we will are just at the beginning of a new cycle of disappointment.

You are probably right about the possession stats but we have spent the last few years trying to pay possession football and are generally shite at it, maybe it is time to try something else?

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
It will be 442 hoof ball . Back to the traditional English way rather than all this tippy tappy stuff . Oh ..... And we will still be useless

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
It will be 442 hoof ball . Back to the traditional English way rather than all this tippy tappy stuff . Oh ..... And we will still be useless

At least we will be useless on our terms without any of that european nonsense #Brexit

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
At least we will be useless on our terms without any of that european nonsense #Brexit

Wise words, the most Brexit of managers for the most Brexit of times.

Perhaps Andy Carroll and Peter Crouch upfront, Stewart Downing and Matt Jarvis firing in crosses, Terry and Shawcross at the back - the no-nonsense bootboys of the defence, Kevin Nolan and Mark Noble to kick some people in midfield, or something like it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here