And the next England manager is?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
All true. They've all come back from disappointments and then gone deep into tournaments, if not won them. We've had ALL the disappointments and failures of those teams and more, and nothing changes. We've still not even come CLOSE to winning one. Not even threatened since 96, our home tournament. We don't change - we actually get worse.
The main problem for me is the FA. A rotten, old boys club organisation. I don't think we lack the talented players. Next up I think is the media/fans. Players who fail in a penalty shoot-out are subject to too much criticism, which puts more pressure on our players in the next shootout. We should get behind our team, not criticise them. People suggest the players don't care, which I think is nonsense.

I don't really mind who we play like, if we can just get our own defined system down and breach our 2nd round / QF glass ceiling once in a while.
I want us to have the best chance of winning, and I don't think Sam is the man to provide that. I agree that we're not Spain and we're not Italy (we couldn't play their styles), but we can play a fast movement game - pressing and counter attacking etc.

graz126

Oct 17, 2003
doncaster
amazing we always know we have the players, we have tried different styles of managers, an we were the last team to beat wales, Portugal, and france before the semi finals, we would've also been the last to beat Germany before the semis if not for a shock defeat to Slovakia. So we know we can do it. but fail after the group stages everytime. Maybe the players think job done after the group and don't remain focused, dunno.
And Klinsmann would be my choice.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Just a suggestion but how about a management team of Adams. Shearer and either Gerrard or Lampard overseen by a senior oldie like Rednapp.

So two ex-players plus one of two still active players, whose combined management experience consists of Newcastle, Wycombe, Portsmouth and a team in Azerbaijan, all overseen by one of the dodgiest dinosaurs in football?

What could possibly go wrong?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So two ex-players plus one of two still active players, whose combined management experience consists of Newcastle, Wycombe, Portsmouth and a team in Azerbaijan, all overseen by one of the dodgiest dinosaurs in football?

What could possibly go wrong?

2 retired players plus 2 soon to retire players now playing in a mickey mouse league to prolong their career. They have all got one thing in common in that they are all experienced international players who have captained their country so know exactly what is required, more so than somebody like Eddie Howe

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
2 retired players plus 2 soon to retire players now playing in a mickey mouse league to prolong their career. They have all got one thing in common in that they are all experienced international players who have captained their country so know exactly what is required, more so than somebody like Eddie Howe

Both failed at international level.

I honestly think you have named the worst case scenario.

Actually, if you throw Hoddle in somewhere that would be it

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Both failed at international level.

I honestly think you have named the worst case scenario.

Actually, if you throw Hoddle in somewhere that would be it

I would prefer Hoddle over everybody mentioned so far.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If this happens I can see Shawcross at the back, Carroll upfront and one lumping it to the other to nod in

Looks like we could finally have an identity...

This really is the perpetual myth about Allardyce, that he's solely a long ball merchant.

I didn't see Sunderland staying up last season just by lumping the ball 60 yards up to....Defoe.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
I'd be really happy if Big Sam got it. The man is a pragmatist, we would play the football that is most suited to the players we have. He is capable of managing a variety of formations. So we might be direct. As it stands the England team does not contain any players capable of playing pretty football anyway.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
This really is the perpetual myth about Allardyce, that he's solely a long ball merchant.

I didn't see Sunderland staying up last season just by lumping the ball 60 yards up to....Defoe.

Alright alright - it was only a joke.

I will be uninspired with him as a manager but feel he can probably do alright (as alright as any England manager can do)

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Big Sam for me. I think he gets a poor rap in this country. He has always achieved success relative to the expectations wherever he has been. He was also one of the pioneers of sports science long before it was fashionable, I don't see him as being a yes man either. How the hell Hoddle who hasn't managed for years is even in the running shows how far we've come.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Alright alright - it was only a joke.

I will be uninspired with him as a manager but feel he can probably do alright (as alright as any England manager can do)

Well, we've tried the flashy big-name foreigners with CV's at glamorous continental clubs as long as their arms, and look where that's gotten us. We've had the establishment blazers in McLaren and Roy, and they've been a total unmitigated disaster.

Our footballers are thick, and they are bottlers. We need someone in that dressing room who will pick players on merit and not reputation, get them playing to a defined system that they all understand, and instill a bit of steel and spirit into them. GALVANISE them.

He's not a flash name with a worldwide rep, but for where we are right now, I think we could do a lot worse than Allardyce to shake things up and kick some arses into shape.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports