Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] An open letter from Graham Potter

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
What I really dont understand is one of worlds best clubs has taken on a manager who went 20 games last season without winning, only 3 sides scored less goals, and although doing well this season have only played 6 games. I think there would have been protest if Liverpool.City or United had taken him on.

Come on, surely you understand really; this post stinks of sour grapes

Let's be honest many of us are angry that because we are in a fantastic position currently and the guy responsible has just walked taking all senior coaching staff with him. The best chance of our club really making a name for itself and possibly challenging for the dizzy heights of European qualification, handicapped immediately. We're angry because we loved him and what he's given us. We're upset because he has gone to a club with massive finances but a club that is the complete(or has been)opposite to the way they are run in terms of firing managers quickly down to results,demanding instant success, players with huge egos to the point of said players downing tools if they don't like their boss. I don't care how Chelsea do and how Potter does now. We will move on trust Tony to employ the right person and support our club as always. We carry on as we are and continue to be 1 of the best run clubs in the country!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A nice little letter, not too common from ex-maagers... no doubt it means nothing to most. The people wanting a thank you and goodbye are always the same ones who'll see it as empty words.

Anyway, Graham's gone, the club moves on. I can't wait to see Trossards trickery down the wing, Alexis scoring more screams, Gross doing his Gross-feints, Caicedo just casually stealing the ball from the most expensive and best technical players on the planet. There's a lot more to be excited about than there is to be afraid of.

Spot on, as usual.

Given that I understand perfectly well why he would take the job and our staff with him, and bear no grudge, I don't feel the need to read Potter's open letter. Not bitter, but not curious.

My thoughts are with our club; excitement tinged with apprehension over who it will be next and how it will all go for us.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
A friend is good mates with a Chelsea scout. Apparently Tuchel was a bit naughty with the wife of a physio, said physio confronted Tuchel in the dressing room. If there's any truth in that, could explain his rapid dismissal following the loss of said dressing room

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No, I'm similar although I don't think I'm angry, more disappointed that Bruno and Roberts went too.

I don't blame him for that, they both could have turned it down just as he could. It's left us in a spot of bother as there will now be no link with the club 'culturally' and the first team coaches/management. That's my real disappointment not that the manager has gone. One way or another that was always going to happen and will happen with whoever takes over the job.

With the postponement of this weekends games and next weeks against palace has left us with plenty of time to find and appoint the new staff and for them to have some preparation time before their first match.

The key line in his letter for me is:

I may not be able to persuade you all to forgive my departure – but I would at least like to take the chance to say thank you.

That'll do me. We move on.

These are pretty much my thoughts on the matter.

I will add that we want/need, young, ambitious, hungry talented people at the club but this is a double-edged sword as they will most certainly be spotted and enticed away. All things considered I’d rather have this than lesser talent whom no one is interested in. He has left us in a far better place then when he joined and I like to think he has defined the playing style for our club and the new person will continue his work. I’ll take this. We move on.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
He’s thanked everyone which I expected of him.

He and his team were given a great opportunity.

I don’t blame him on a personal level but of course disappointed that the offer came based on the position we are in.

We will never know what could have been.

I doubt I’ll boo them on the 29th but equally I won’t be showing any appreciation either

Time to move and focus on our next management team.

“It is what it is”

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Spot on, as usual.

Given that I understand perfectly well why he would take the job and our staff with him, and bear no grudge, I don't feel the need to read Potter's open letter. Not bitter, but not curious.

My thoughts are with our club; excitement tinged with apprehension over who it will be next and how it will all go for us.

I think I feel similarly. Although I am pretty upset that so many good people left because he was offered the job. I may read it in the coming days, maybe not. But I have no wish for platitudes explaining why this has happened. I get it, but am still disappointed by this unexpected turn of events.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Let's be honest many of us are angry that because we are in a fantastic position currently and the guy responsible has just walked taking all senior coaching staff with him. The best chance of our club really making a name for itself and possibly challenging for the dizzy heights of European qualification, handicapped immediately. We're angry because we loved him and what he's given us. We're upset because he has gone to a club with massive finances but a club that is the complete(or has been)opposite to the way they are run in terms of firing managers quickly down to results,demanding instant success, players with huge egos to the point of said players downing tools if they don't like their boss. I don't care how Chelsea do and how Potter does now. We will move on trust Tony to employ the right person and support our club as always. We carry on as we are and continue to be 1 of the best run clubs in the country!

Top bombing Roy, something that’s only been posted 27,000 times in various forms in the last few days/daze. [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION], please just make Roy’s post a sticky at the top of the board and run some software that prevents anyone else typing any of the keywords in it (‘well run’ ‘in a fantastic position’ ‘Chelsea massive finances’ etc) until the new manager is in place. Ta.

:lolol:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yep, agreed and now it makes sense why the club were such a big net seller this window. Makes perfect sense if Tony understandably didn’t want to entrust that money to a manager likely on the way out.

Had not thought of that. We mostly did Chelsea business….

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If it was planned for a few weeks, Chelsea would have sacked Tuchel and took in Potter a few weeks ago and he wouldn't go to London twice in two days to negotiate.

I'm guessing that when Boehly said £60m and a five-year-contract for you and £xm or £xxm for the others in the staff, who you by the way is free to bring, there just wasn't much to think about and the whole thing was done swiftly.

Could be wrong obviously but considering the performance against Leicester, it didn't really give the impression of a side with a coach who had his thoughts elsewhere.

I read elsewhere on this thread that apparently you don't have a right to come on here, talking sense :shrug:

Oh, hang on, no. No, you do have a right! :lolol:

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
Hey Graham. Shove it up your @rse.

Cheers.

I'd have more respect for him if he was just honest about it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
These are pretty much my thoughts on the matter.

I will add that we want/need, young, ambitious, hungry talented people at the club but this is a double-edged sword as they will most certainly be spotted and enticed away. All things considered I’d rather have this than lesser talent whom no one is interested in. He has left us in a far better place then when he joined and I like to think he has defined the playing style for our club and the new person will continue his work. I’ll take this. We move on.

Pleased there are a few sensible, grown up, people around NSC :thumbsup:

I include [MENTION=14640]oldboyroy[/MENTION] in that.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I am obviously out of step with most, and may be the only person clapping Potter when he returns with Chelsea in a few weeks, but from reading the open letter my view is 'You can't not like him can you'

But it seems many don't .

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
“ Not every team selection or decision has been perfect. But the club has created an environment that gives you the scope to make mistakes, learn from them and then improve.”

So he goes to Chelsea, who are famous for giving their coaches time and their low expectations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here