Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] An open letter from Graham Potter

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
He is a tosser. He should have waited to the end of the season and said a goodbye with saying I have taken the club as far I can.
I will will be booing him on in his return.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
To be fair, you were booing his team 12 months ago. I don't think he owes you anything!

That’s right we booed every home game for months, all game normally

He agrees with you, he owes us nothing, that much is clear.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
To be fair, you were booing his team 12 months ago. I don't think he owes you anything!

Makes a valid point. PLENTY of morons on this board wanted potter gone not much longer ago than this. Now devastated when he takes his business elsewhere? NSC idiots wanting it both ways as usual.

Jaxie

Dec 2, 2018
Far East (Sussex)
I think that’s the right letter to send. He did not have to send or approve anything (if written by a PR.) But, at the end of the day, I’ve moved on.

I know there are all sorts of theories about when this started and why. I’m not convinced by theories surrounding Cucurella and Potter. I think that had Tuchel won that CL game convincingly, there would have been no dismissal and no Potter moving on.

I think too many of us may be looking for narratives just to explain the pain. It hurts, but I’m not going to get angry. I’m going to get excited by the new manager.

I don’t want to boo Potter. I want to focus on us and to just beat Chelsea.

At the end of the day, had Potter kept winning, he would have gone somewhere to some club. That’s life and inevitable.

Thanks for the good times Graham, but you are yesterday’s news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea

All this sentiment about how Brighton were just a stepping stone for Potter. Good manager, and everything starting to click end of last season and beginning of this. But it’s old hat now, and it will turn out Potter was just a stepping stone for Brighton on the way up.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Makes a valid point. PLENTY of morons on this board wanted potter gone not much longer ago than this. Now devastated when he takes his business elsewhere? NSC idiots wanting it both ways as usual.

I am pretty certain that you were one of the morons? I take it you are happy he’s gone?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Classy from GP :thumbsup:

I am going to try and make this my last post on this. I fecking LOVED what GP brought to this club…leaving taking the full coaching team 6 games into a season and writing a letter to explain it is not classy in any way.

I do get why he left though

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

I am sure there are NSC idiots and they may 'want it both ways as usual'.

The reason it is not valid is that s/he specifically wrote about a small minority of supporters as if it was most of them or everyone.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The words from Graham Potter were IMO sincere and heartfelt.

FWIW I’ve seen the best football under Graham Potter of the 50 years I’ve been watching the Albion.

He’s a measured, intelligent, progressive individual with a social conscience (remember him sleeping out last year to highlight the plight of homelessness) and has given some us incredible memories over the last three years.

I wish him good health, good fortune and a successful career. It’s great to see an Englishman embracing education and using it as a means of improving his professional standing.

At the same time, and by all means accuse me of pettiness and a mean spirit, all of those good wishes for his career do not apply at Chelsea. May it go spectacularly tits up at the club where the owner, who knows nothing about football, appointed himself as sporting director, spent £1/4 bn on recruitment that had no logic or strategy, then having sacked the chief executive who was held as one of the best in the business, Petr Cech, who along with Tuchel was willing to face the media during the government restrictions on the club when the suits went missing, and Tuchel himself who may be a ‘difficult’ individual to deal with, still did deliver in terms of finals, trophies and a top four finish (and he has read ‘The Manual’). So Boehly is swapping managers to deflect from him own hubris. For the foreseeable future I’ll be cheering on their opponents, even if it is Palace.

Completely how I feel. And I believe many others - yes there will always be posters going to the extremes but I feel this is the sensible approach. Taking Bruno and Roberts with him has left a really bad taste - but he is a nice bloke and although I feel he’s made a bad move here he deserves to be remembered as one of / the best manager ever. I hope Chelsea fall flat on their face. Can’t agree with the Palace comment though - I hope they lose every game, then I’ll be looking out for Chelsea failing… Gives me more interest in other prem games at this early stage of the season. Keep the faith - we always bounce back and one man or women will never be bigger then the club. In Bloom we trust.

NotABrightonFan

Sep 21, 2019
I think booing him on his return would be a poor show, but *a select few* booed him when he was actually in charge of the team. It never came across as though there was a big connection between the fans and Potter from a neutrals POV, at least on this forum, it seemed like a large majority only wanted to criticise in the first couple of years under Potter despite the team performing well and just being generally quite unlucky. Now the team is performing to the level the metrics always suggested they would and he's been snapped up by another team, hardly seems right to be bitter at him taking the opportunity, especially when he always seemed more beloved by neutrals than the fans of his own team.

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
I think booing him on his return would be a poor show, but *a select few* booed him when he was actually in charge of the team. It never came across as though there was a big connection between the fans and Potter from a neutrals POV, at least on this forum, it seemed like a large majority only wanted to criticise in the first couple of years under Potter despite the team performing well and just being generally quite unlucky. Now the team is performing to the level the metrics always suggested they would and he's been snapped up by another team, hardly seems right to be bitter at him taking the opportunity, especially when he always seemed more beloved by neutrals than the fans of his own team.

You're notabrightonfan, are you?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Meaningless, and empty words from Potter. Actions are all you ever need to know about someone

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Meaningless, and empty words from Potter. Actions are all you ever need to know about someone

His actions were a measured, educated and progressive individual taking us to our highest ever league position playing exciting football….that’s all I know about him.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
His actions were a measured, educated and progressive individual taking us to our highest ever league position playing exciting football….that’s all I know about him.

Yeah and we gave him the opportunity, then he dumps us at the first flash of a "big" club's knickers...

Lever

Feb 6, 2019

Your overlong pointless drivel is noted.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
People saying the timing was poor and he should have waited until the end of the season? If Brighton finished the season mid table which I think most neutrals expect that opportunity wouldn't be there at that time.
It's simply the case like everyone here trying to earn as much money and prestige as they can in any career to provide for their family.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
He's clever, and this is what a clever bloke would say. Cuts no ice with me, especially with him taking the backroom staff as well. I though he was different, he's not, it's modern football, I'll carry on simultaneously loathing it and loving the Albion, cognitive dissonance city but I can handle it! No plaudits from me. A proper 'big' club would be a bit easier, Barca, Liverpool maybe but Chelsea? My little poem said my bit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here