[Albion] Amex Stadium name change..

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I still call it The Goldstone. Wherever Albion play their home matches was always The Goldstone to me.

As for the word 'community', it's just a buzzword with no depth or meaning. Bit silly really. The stadium only has connection with the local community if they pump up £££ for an event or a season ticket.

You can hardly take your dog and poop scooper for walk on the pitch in the evening can you ?
And when was the last pensioners bingo night ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I still call it The Goldstone. Wherever Albion play their home matches was always The Goldstone to me.

As for the word 'community', it's just a buzzword with no depth or meaning. Bit silly really. The stadium only has connection with the local community if they pump up £££ for an event or a season ticket.

You can hardly take your dog and poop scooper for walk on the pitch in the evening can you ?
In your day job, you clearly aren't the Head of Deliverance, I'll wager ???

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Changing from the Amex Stadium to American express stadium...... ....WTF is the difference.... Amex card is an American Express card. Surely most will refer to Stadium as the Amex Stadium.
As has already been noted it is not changing from 'amex stadium' to 'american express stadium'. It is changing from 'American express community stadium' to 'American Express Stadium'. 'Amex stadium' was a shorthand that took hold, and will still be used by most because it's still an appropriate shorthand.

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
Moving AITC / Foundation staff away from ground will I suspect free up room for other stadium improvements, assuming they mean reducing office space by a bit

One thing we should all know by now - we always have a long term plan .....

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I think that particular horse has long since bolted. It'll be known as the Amex to everyone until the sponsorship changes.
By us yes, but if Amex want it to be known by their full name, and they insist the club call it American Express Stadium, the name will gradually become ingrained in people’s minds.

veuve

Jun 27, 2015
Ffs,I have always called it the Amex and will carry on calling it the Amex.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
American Express rebrand a few years ago allows for AmEx as an official identifier (for the first time) .

Any of us who’ve worked for blue chip American companies will recognise It’s a major move for the US mothership to OK the naming of the Amex to be fully and squarely about the brand - American Express Stadium. Might even be some further partnership extensions announced globally with AmEx.

Superseagull

Jul 8, 2003
I'm interested in what the changes to the stadium will be - signage was mentioned, anything else?
Moving AITC / Foundation staff away from ground will I suspect free up room for other stadium improvements, assuming they mean reducing office space by a bit

One thing we should all know by now - we always have a long term plan .....
You’re getting warm…. Northern end of ground will see some changes. Things have to be moved out to allow new things to happen.

nsclurker

Apr 3, 2018
If AITC get more money out of this, I'm all for whatever they are now called :thumbsup:
Unlikely. Club may get more money from Amex on the naming rights, but the club and AITC are legally separate entities and all funding comes from grants or fundraising activities.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
By us yes, but if Amex want it to be known by their full name, and they insist the club call it American Express Stadium, the name will gradually become ingrained in people’s minds.
I think that is broadly true but the American Express brand is known as Amex globally so it may prove tricky to alter. But you never know.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
How many of us have ever included the 'Community' part of the name previously ?
I would suggest very few.
It makes sense to tidy it up.

nsclurker

Apr 3, 2018

It has been AITC for almost 30 years, and - as someone that worked there for four years, working in almost every area of the charity - schools, disability, inclusion, pathway, etc. - across the local community, that's a hard disagree from me.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
How many of us have ever included the 'Community' part of the name previously ?
I would suggest very few.
It makes sense to tidy it up.
I think we should also get rid of the Hove part of the clubs name.
We don’t play there anymore.
I doubt many of us use the name when talking about our club.
It would make sense to tidy it up……what do you think? :wink: :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports