Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex retail catering

HoveSaint

Nov 19, 2011
For what it is worth, I thought the pies were far and a way the best pies I have eaten at football. Been up and down the country supporting the Saints but nothing comes closer. Well, actually Barnsley's pies were pretty darn good but not in the same league as yours. As for ours, forgettaboutit.

And I loved the real ale thing. Having Ringwood for us lot was very unique (but I do prefer Harvey's).

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
What i cant understand is that maybe the club is losing say £100k in one season ,because of all the above comments ,with ref Azure and their problems,and then i hear Reyes wages maybe cannot be afforded......

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
A few people on this thread have mentioned the 'snake' Q system &/or 2 people per till. If they want to see how this works efficiently they only need go down to the club shop on match days. The volume of people through the shop is immense. They also have someone at the front of the Q directing you to the next till to keep things moving along.

When this was implemented in Dublin Airport for Aer Lingus check-in it probably took 30% off the queuing time on average, albeit I may have just be chronically unlucky in always picking queues with awkward yanks in them. :(

If anybody has been to Amsterdam they will be familiar with the febo outlets, those not familiar they are vending machines that dispense pre made hot food. Surely we could have something similar?

Not in Amsterdam again till the end of March and I already want a Febo now due to this.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Introduce a snakey queue in conjunction with "Prick with a Stick" who is pointing punters to where the next free till is.

Nov 20, 2003
hove
I know we had a spat in the past but thanks for sorting this please ask him if we can have pour and serve fillter coffee instead of that disgusting instant muck ,there are plenty of local coffee roasters in the town and if you use their coffee they provide you with the equipment .It would also be good for Azure to use more local comps.than the mass produced rubbish this could also include bugers and hotdogs from local catering butchers many thx hbz

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Are Azure really such a horseshit organisation that they need to be spoon-fed this stuff like this?

Given that the answer appears to be "yes" I would ask them if their management have legs, eyes, mouths and ears.

Assuming the answer in most cases is probably yes they do, I would suggest that on match days they:

1) Walk the concourses
2) Look at what is happening
3) Talk to customers
4) Listen to what people are telling them.

I bet they're glad you reminded them to do that - doubtless they wouldn't have thought of it.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
I love our new home but I'm disappointed that the promise of the Amex offering more than bog standard cuisine has not happened.
Yes we make our own pies but apart from that we don't offer anything that you can't get from any other ground in the country.
Not excactly market leaders as we were promised.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I bet they're glad you reminded them to do that - doubtless they wouldn't have thought of it.

With respect, the (predictable) tone of your response articulates why you are precisely the sort of person who should not be soliciting customer feedback for a retail operation.

Firstly, if Azure management have been monitoring the situation since August why are we where we are in January?

Second - if they are monitoring the situation, where are the KPIs?
- how long does it take people, on average, to get served?
- what is the "out of stock" data?
- what is the level of staff turnover?
- what is the Amex Customer Satisfaction score, and how does this compare to other Azure served stadia?

Or does this data not exist? Are the managers just wandering about then watching the game?

Frankly, "having a natter" on a Monday evening will do little to enhance performance.

If Azure are really serious about improving their service firstly they need to measure their current performance.
Then they should form a Focus Group comprised of about 20-30 people representing the West, North and East stands. Then implement key improvement actions that come from the focus groups and finally put in some control measures and measure the results.

Then the process starts all over again. That's what successful retailers do. Its called being customer focused.

I await your facepalm.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
With respect, the (predictable) tone of your response articulates why you are precisely the sort of person who should not be soliciting customer feedback for a retail operation.

Firstly, if Azure management have been monitoring the situation since August why are we where we are in January?

Second - if they are monitoring the situation, where are the KPIs?
- how long does it take people, on average, to get served?
- what is the "out of stock" data?
- what is the level of staff turnover?
- what is the Amex Customer Satisfaction score, and how does this compare to other Azure served stadia?

Or does this data not exist? Are the managers just wandering about then watching the game?

Frankly, "having a natter" on a Monday evening will do little to enhance performance.

If Azure are really serious about improving their service firstly they need to measure their current performance.
Then they should form a Focus Group comprised of about 20-30 people representing the West, North and East stands. Then implement key improvement actions that come from the focus groups and finally put in some control measures and measure the results.

Then the process starts all over again. That's what successful retailers do. Its called being customer focused.

I await your facepalm.

Well said.

dgh123

Aug 7, 2011
Why can't they just get a steady stream of pies being cooked opposed to a batch then nothing, as when I get to the ground about quarter to three I get told that there won't be any ready until after kick off, why would I want to get a pie during the game?

So my question is-Why can't they just get a steady stream of pies being cooked?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

Have we met? Do we know each other? You'll have to forgive me, because if we have, I don't recall.

Never mind that. I merely had a few criticisms which I wanted to mention to them, and wondered if anyone else did. Other people don't seem to mind me asking for them. If you really don't want me to ask, just say so, and I'll keep my own counsel. Feel free to find out for yourself what's happening if you're that bothered.

I await your facepalm.

Oh, OK.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Have we met? Do we know each other? You'll have to forgive me, because if we have, I don't recall.

Never mind that. I merely had a few criticisms which I wanted to mention to them, and wondered if anyone else did. Other people don't seem to mind me asking for them. If you really don't want me to ask, just say so, and I'll keep my own counsel. Feel free to find out for yourself what's happening if you're that bothered.

Oh, OK.

:facepalm:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

Oh, OK.

Yes, we have met but we don't know each other. (I attempted to spend my cash in your shop on several dismal occasions, and then I simply gave up).

Anyway, far be it from me to accuse you of being disingenuous, but the phrase, "I merely had a few criticisms which I wanted to mention to them, and wondered if anyone else did..." is pretty lame, in the current circumstances. You know what the general vibe is about this issue.

Anyway, probably just me, so I'll butt out of this thread now and let everybody else carry on.

I can be a moody sod, so forgive me and I do hope you succeed in getting some leverage.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
In no particular order...

Stuart is the retail catering manager, so 1901 Club is outside his remit. What he could talk about was the catering on the concourses, Dick's Bar and the 'professional' areas (refs, press, Gully''s Girls, ballboys etc). Stuart does dip into NSC and sees the comments, and likes a lot of the suggestions put forward.

In answer to the point about how Azure think they're doing, they're 'not happy', but then they never will be as even if they get things right, they've then got to keep them right, and that is an ongoing challenge. It also doesn't account for the fact that things could be perfect and some would still moan.

Generally

There are 10 people who work in those kiosks - 6 till operatives, 2 pourers, a chef and the kiosk manager. At quieter moments when the chef and the manager aren't undertaking their primary role, they should be helping with the pouring and serving. Many of the kiosk staff are now incentivised to work smarter and faster. They have a target of 45 seconds from first button being pressed on the till until final transaction - the till drawer closes. For the first matches, they averaged 78 seconds. They now average 51 seconds. The operative who makes most sales / transactions at each match wins a cash bonus.

Having any more in there, he suggests, would be too crowded and risk safety.

Catering closes at 6pm in all concourses except the North, which closes at 8pm. Dick's Bar is open until 11pm, unless everyone has gone.

Queues

He feels that the idea of the taped-off 'snake' queue could be tried out in the East, North and WSL areas, and that the idea has merit. He has certain concerns about WSU as there isn't as much floor space area there than there is in the other three, but may try it up there with floor marking and see how it goes. He was more keen to try it for next season, but I suggested that the club ought to try it as soon as possible. He will look into it.

Likewise regarding having tea/coffee only queues / cash only queues / beer only queues - these issues would be done away with if a snake queue system was adopted.

Their main concern is H&S - can people get out of the taped off area in an emergency? If they do this, they suggest operating this system before the game and at HT, when time is far more pressing an issue.

Pies

The labelling of the pies is down to the operatives in the individual kiosk. Stuart accepted that you shouldn't have to check your pie to see that you've got the right one. Piglet's Pantry made a point of cutting a certain shaped hole in the crust of each type of pie - but that still seems beyond one or two of operatives. They are working on that. Different colour boxed were suggested and he will put it to the club. This ought not be necessary, though, if the people in question just put the pies in the right damn box.

This leads on to the pies being 'sold out' at 2.15pm. The pies are not made at the stadium, nor are they microwaved. They are made at Piglet's Pantry and part-cooked there. They are sent to the stadium where each of the kiosks has an oven which cooks 120 pies at a time. Each session takes 28 minutes. They are then boxed and stuck in the relevant chute in the kiosk - the chef oversees that. If a pie is 'soggy' it probably means it has been in the box for more than 10 minutes, where all the condensation from the heat of the pie has moistened the contents.

When the desired pie in question has 'sold out', he suggested that rather than the glib and unhelpful 'sorry, we've sold out' response from the till operative, he or she lets them know they're temporarily out of stock, and ask if they want something else or, if they wouldn't mind waiting, but they'll take their order. They'd then ask the customer to step aside while they serve the next person. When the pies are back in the chutes, the customer then presents their receipt and can claim their pie(s). Seeing as it's rarely more than 5 minutes between a chute going empty and filling up again, this could be one possible way of doing things, he suggests. Comment welcomed, he says.

I didn't know that there were mobile pie sellers until I saw one surly kid with them on Saturday. He appeared to be making little effort to sell them, short of just pacing up and down the concourse. I suggested to Stuart that these people are incentivised too - a commission, for instance.

Beer

Likewise, the mobile Harvey's kiosks have been there - in the East Stand too - apparently for the past few games, but few people spotted them.

He loved the parasol thing to advertise where the kiosk is but H&S suggested it should be taken down. Either because the parasol could be taken and used as a weapon or it obscured some areas of the concourse from CCTV. No, really. I suggested some sort of paddle or even the server call out that that was where the beer was being sold. Again, the beer seller could be on commission. They are also looking to get mobile e-cash payment points on the mobile kiosks 'before March'.

Dark Star will be available from the mobile concourse kiosks pretty soon. Their lack of presence so far is down to Dark Star.

Looking to introduce four-pint beer carriers pretty soon.

The East Stand

He is aware that the East Stand is not operating anything like to the capacity and efficiency it should be. They have just appointed a new manager for the East Stand whose first role is to get things shipshape.

There are open kiosks which many people don't use or see. They have had people tell others in the queues about other kiosks being empty, but they've tended to stay put. I suggested that someone should be a bit more robust in letting people know. The 'prick with a stick' idea seemed to find favour.

All in all, the suggestions being made to him were about perception and reality. If he can get staff to be a bit more pro-active in the way transport stewards and concourse stewards are, it should cut down on waiting times, and that's relevant across the stadium.

Other food

It didn't sound too hopeful for a decent burger turning up any time soon. They have asked many caterers, and what they're looking for is a high quality burger. So far, they haven't found someone whose product quite fits the bill - be it be supplied fresh or frozen.

He asked Piglet's Pantry in November to source a sausage supplier. That seems to have slipped and he will chase that up. I've already suggested the Brighton Sausage Company.

Noodles - they're testing them this week. They may want some volunteers to test further. Watch this space.

Kids Veggie meals - the option appears to be limited to ensuring that the pie bought is the veggie pie. If anyone has alternative suggestions, contact him.

Thai Curry - taken off the menu after the first four games due to lack of interest. Apparently, they averaged on 35 sales each match.

Oh, and you'll never guess who the bread supplier is… :facepalm:

Other stuff

I suggested (without giving too much thought) a regular - monthly? - bulletin of how Azure think they're doing, what's procedures are going to be tested or adopted, what their feedback is, how communication can be improved etc. Again, he'll look at it.

I didn't make any notes from last night, so there may be some things I've forgotten, in which case, please jog my memory to see if we did discuss it.

Other than that, feel free to email him at stuart.laming[MENTION=14657]eli[/MENTION]or.com Any previous emails to Elliott on this matter have been passed to Stuart, and he will look to reply to the constructive ones.

Last edited:

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Well done al for taking the initiative. Good to know that the club are in "receive" mode and taking our concernns seriously.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Well done Al. I'm pleased that there is acknowledgement that the East could be better. It gives me hope that things will improve. Although I would chellenge the harveys sellers statement re the burnley and southampton games. There was one at the burnley one who 'clocked off' after 2.20 and none at the southampton one (unless they were using the new invisible, dont block the cc tv, stealth sellers).

Finally the veggie kids option could be a veggie burger (they have adult ones already) or veggie sausages when the supplier is found.

Can you confirm the email address for stuart - it doesnt look right with the gap.

Once again many thanks for your efforts

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here