Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex retail catering

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Exactly. After my face to face discussions with Stu Laming he assured me they were aware of all these problems, and things have improved in the WSL, but I think there is still an awful lot that needs improving. "Should" be doing something doesn't mean that the staff are actually doing it!

The queues in WSL were the longest they have EVER been at the saints match, almost 20 yards to other wall

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
More outlets on the other side of the concourse
More staff
Vending machines, there is no need to queue for one bottle of pop

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
My main gripe is why they only have one person per till, that is what makes things slow. Every other quick serving environment like McDonalds and most football grounds have two, one to take order and cash, one to fetch order. Is it purely that they can't get enough staff?

Tea and coffee slows things down massively and can take a 3 or 4 of minutes per order sometimes. The process is just too slow, 1)peel lid off cup 2) fill cup with water 3) repeat etc etc. Separate tea and coffee stand would help, where they just have a massve barrel of ready made tea or coffee like they do in cafes.

As for some of the comments about noodles, I think that should be left alone for now. They can barely cope with handing out boxes and pints, it would be meltdown if they had to serve a plate of noodles.

I've only got down to this post on this thread, but this pretty much sums things up for me.

TWO people per till - YES there IS room, would speed things up.

Plus, have queues where CARD only will be used - no cash.

At the moment the queues are painfully slow, and putting many people (including me) off bothering any more.

Well done TLO for getting communication going.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I can live with things running out occasionally and slightly variable quality control - that's the nature of mass catering. What isn't forgivable is the queuing. As noted on here in an earlier thread (and with a brilliant exaplantory video), one queue for multiple serving points in FAR quicker than having a queue for each server.

This would address the issue of tea slowing things down for example, and would also address the issue of the "9 pint man" because the other till are not affected by that delay. It's so simple even the Post Office can do it - one long snakey queue and almost everything in this thread would be addressed.

Please ask him to arrange this.

Excellent idea

Dapper

Dec 4, 2009
Give Dapper the contract!

They couldn't afford me (!)

Seriously, try running a pub / restaurant for a while and these things become second nature. They are not doing the simple things correctly.

This comment seems hilarious right now:

Azure Operations Director Samantha Lincoln said, "At the Amex, we intend to build a team which operates seamlessly as part of the stadium team and provides excellent hospitality services."

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Yup. As you would know as an avid listener of the fine Albion Roar :p Richard Hebberd stated that one, they promised the residents that they wouldn't do that - get roundable I'm sure - and, two - and one that I am more likely to buy - the areas outside are congregation areas for emergencies (for the stadium and the railway station).

Sure, but there is SO much space between the station and the stadium, there is surely room for a few outlets there without any emergency space issues.

If

Curly5194

Jun 20, 2011
Horsham
I too always assumed that the 10% rule only applied if you paid with your pre-loaded ST card but was told at the Burnley game, by a server that spotted my ST, that it didn't and would apply even if you use other methods of payment. So, it seems that some staff members say one thing and others say another - like refs, we should have some consistency. I don't think you can blame the bloke at the Southampton game if rules are applied erratically.

This is the BIGGEST problem - total lack of consistency between kiosks and even between staff. Surely they are briefed before the stadium opens for business? Okay that's obviously too much to ask for!

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Update the beer pumps to the ones like at Wembley and Twickenham that can pour 4 pints at a time, ive lost a lot of time waiting for my pint to be pulled as the poor lad cant keep up with demand.

Turn 3 tills into beer only, a lot of people eat at the stadium but I reckon that figure is under 50%, And judging by how busy my kiosk is (WSU block D/E) a majority of people drink.

Is there a way for the mobile vendors/harveys stands can take our smart cards for payment? The Harveys stands dont seem that busy and my friend drinks Harveys but has to use the kiosks because he cant use his card at the mobile vendor...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Turn 3 tills into beer only, a lot of people eat at the stadium but I reckon that figure is under 50%, And judging by how busy my kiosk is (WSU block D/E) a majority of people drink.

10,000 pies alone consumed might contradict that one.

Is there a way for the mobile vendors/harveys stands can take our smart cards for payment? The Harveys stands dont seem that busy and my friend drinks Harveys but has to use the kiosks because he cant use his card at the mobile vendor...

On the Roar, Richard Hebberd said that they were looking into that, and hoped to have something in place for March/April.

Curly5194

Jun 20, 2011
Horsham

I must admit a couple of times I've paid cash at a Harvey's stand rather than queue up to use my ST. Worth losing the 10%. Sometimes.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
A few people on this thread have mentioned the 'snake' Q system &/or 2 people per till. If they want to see how this works efficiently they only need go down to the club shop on match days. The volume of people through the shop is immense. They also have someone at the front of the Q directing you to the next till to keep things moving along.

Curly5194

Jun 20, 2011
Horsham
Further to one of my previous posts I will also add that Stu Laming told me face to face that they are trying to get service down to 50 seconds between customers and that they were nearly succeeding. He kept a straight face. I suppose if they keep telling each person "sorry we've sold out" then it does only take 50 seconds to serve each customer! Just reporting what was said to me!

Dapper

Dec 4, 2009
A few people on this thread have mentioned the 'snake' Q system &/or 2 people per till. If they want to see how this works efficiently they only need go down to the club shop on match days. The volume of people through the shop is immense. They also have someone at the front of the Q directing you to the next till to keep things moving along.

Really forgot about this being in place in the club shop.

Azure....get this in place quick smart!

Last edited:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The Snake queue - one thing...

I'm sure it can be made to work, but would you need tape barriers in place? At the Club Shop, the queue is against the wall - how would that work on an open concourse where queuing against the wall isn't really an option?

I'm particularly thinking of the WSU here, where (and I could be wrong) space is at more of a premium.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Sorry, don'y understand what you mean by 'against the wall'?

What we need is a la Airport style taped barriers, two people per till and we're off.

Dapper

Dec 4, 2009
Ive seen it in other stadiums with open space and no wall.

Sydney Football Ground (very very similar in design and shape to the Amex) do it successfully.

Even ask people for ID when they pay before grabbing the beer.

Also, the food and drink is served seperately at the Sydney football Ground, and, heaven above, you can sit in your seat and drink beer and go out at half time for a ciggy. Bless'em.... Crap football though.

Curly5194

Jun 20, 2011
Horsham
I might be dreaming but wouldn't it be nice if you could pre-order and pay for your food and drinks before leaving home and just present the staff with your confirmation at the till and hey presto no money passes hands at all. Might save say 10 seconds per transaction and they would know exactly how many pies they need to warm up! Am I delusional? Probably.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here