Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Amazon to Stop Accepting UK Issued Visa Credit Cards from January

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
A slightly strange rant given I was talking about Mastercard. I can only assume you are either a very loyal employee of AMEX or an equally loyal customer. Mastercard run both Amazon's credit card and rewards scheme .... not AMEX.

Rant?! haha More than three words in a sentence constitutes a rant in your world? That’s cute!

Yes, I have twenty years experience in the industry, Infact I have direct negations with Amazon re their payment acceptance on the daily. (Go me! I’m sure you’re very impressed, not!) I made no attempt to hide that, and I had no desire or intention to upset you, sorry! Just saying it as it is (fact) with no desire to correct you or make you feel like a silly billy. I was naive enough to think you might wish to converse re the topic. In hindsight I shouldn’t have quoted your post.

Oh and FYI AMEX ‘run’ a CoBrand with Amazon too. For big business customers, not teeny tiny consumers hence the validity of my prior comment.

MasterCard and Amazon also have a cobrand agreement you’re quite right, but neither MC or AMEX ‘run’ any form of loyalty program ‘for’ Amazon and it’s not an Amazon CC, it’s a MC/AMEX CC. They therefore both run incentives for their own customers. That’s not semantics. Please just take my word for it.

Sorry in advance for my additional ‘rant’ …hope I didn’t exceed your reading cap for the day.

Last edited:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Here’s the full timeline:

1. VISA and Mastercard exploited their incredible duopoly by charging up to 1.5% in the EU in interchange charges. Here’s the EU draft at that time https://ec.europa.eu/competition/publications/factsheet_interchange_fees_en.pdf.
2. The EU tackled this is anti-trust legislation, capping it at 0.3%.
3. VISA took the opportunity of the our departure from the EU to raise charges here to 1.5%.https://news.sky.com/story/visa-to-hike-interchange-fees-for-uk-customers-in-post-brexit-move-12247818

Amazon wasn’t mentioned in any of the above at the time, they’re just one of 10,000’s businesses affected by that rollercoaster.

But they are now, as they’re ditching the use of VISA credit cards in several jurisdictions in the world.

Agreed about Amazon but that’s a separate point, they’re tax avoiders, full stop.

https://news.sky.com/story/visa-to-...for-uk-customers-in-post-brexit-move-12247818

But what you're overlooking is that VISA ONLY raised fees for transactions that occur in the UK and are then processed in the EU. It only affects EU companies transacting in the UK.

I'm not saying it isn't shady, but people are laying into VISA here and I think its a bit unfair - Amazon are the ones playing a real shitter by setting up outlandish corporate structures to dodge tax. I don't blame VISA for going out their way to target Amazon, Amazon are exploiting a loophole and Visa had spied a way to get their share of it.

VISA haven't put fees up for intra-UK transactions to the best of my knowledge as the FCA is still capping these, and the the EU is still capping intra-EU fees.

So its thanks Brexit on this one, and VISA aren't the big baddies everyone seems to think.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I'm not saying it isn't shady, but people are laying into VISA here and I think its a bit unfair - Amazon are the ones playing a real shitter by setting up outlandish corporate structures to dodge tax. I don't blame VISA for going out their way to target Amazon, Amazon are exploiting a loophole and Visa had spied a way to get their share of it.

In fairness - Amazon do set up structures to reduce their tax liability but so do Visa, so do Mastercard, so do American Express. They're all at it and it should be outlawed on a global basis but it is what it is......

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Bit annoying as we use a Hilton-branded Visa card for almost all our spending (loads of which is via Amazon) which gets us a lot of free hotel stays (plus upgrades etc).................it'll be Avios with Amex instead I guess. First-world problems :shrug:

Why not switch to their new card which is now a branded Amex Card? Problem solved surely?

(They have closed the Hilton HHonours Platinum Visa scheme to new customers in the UK apparently.)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Why not switch to their new card which is now a branded Amex Card? Problem solved surely?

(They have closed the Hilton HHonours Platinum Visa scheme to new customers in the UK apparently.)

Then I’d have two Amex cards………….still too many places they’re not accepted, and I get a BOGOF (companion) voucher every year with my existing (BA branded) Amex card so need to maintain that and a certain level of spend…….

Think you’re right re the current Hilton Visa (it’s a white labelled Barclaycard) being closed to new customers - has been for a while now. Shame as it’s excellent (as well as the points, it also gives instant Hilton Honors gold membership status which is very worthwhile when staying in the hotels).

Separately, I give you a call - are booking for next season being taken yet ?

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
still too many places they’re not accepted

Check again. It’s not as bad as it was. Infact it’s considerably better. Most of the places it’s not accepted I don’t tend to use anyway tbh and it’s only gonna get better and better now as more and more (small) merchants finally cotton on to the fact AMEX is now the cheapest option, has finally started pricing fairly and only charging the merchants that they bring the highest revenue to the highest fee. The odd big merchant that doesn’t accept are cheapskates haha, and have a very simplistic(wrong) view of how much AMEX customers spend and/or choose not to spend more and more likely because the merchant doesn’t accept.

AMEX have incredible new penetration and growth with aggregators the likes of square and stripe and iZettle which are proving more and more (understandably) attractive to small merchants.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Check again. It’s not as bad as it was. Infact it’s considerably better. Most of the places it’s not accepted I don’t tend to use anyway tbh and it’s only gonna get better and better now as more and more (small) merchants finally cotton on to the fact AMEX is now the cheapest option, has finally started pricing fairly and only charging the merchants that they bring the highest revenue to the highest fee. The odd big merchant that doesn’t accept are cheapskates haha, and have a very simplistic(wrong) view of how much AMEX customers spend and/or choose not to spend more and more likely because the merchant doesn’t accept.

AMEX have incredible new penetration and growth with aggregators the likes of square and stripe and iZettle which are proving more and more (understandably) attractive to small merchants.

Check what ? I've got an Amex card, and I use it a lot (I have to maintain £10kpa expenditure on it to get the flight voucher) so I'm constantly asking retailers - in my experience it's not yet as widely accepted as Visa.
Agree with the pricing though - plenty out there that still have the perception that Amex fees are much higher (as they were 20 years ago)

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
in my experience it's not yet as widely accepted as Visa.

Don’t get me wrong, you’re right, it’s not, and I’m def not suggesting that it is, ‘yet!’

…re ‘check again’ I mean, I think a lot of consumers are in the habit of not trying/asking to use their AMEX out of habit in a lot of places that actually accept now. It’s changed enormously in the last couple of years. Good on you for checking. A lot of people find it awkward/embarrassing. I do enjoy the very naive ‘scoff’ from a lot of the merchants/tellers when you ask haha

FYI I spend £100k pa, on my AMEX haha, not that anyone’s comparing. ;)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Don’t get me wrong, you’re right, it’s not, and I’m def not suggesting that it is, ‘yet!’

…re ‘check again’ I mean, I think a lot of consumers are in the habit of not trying/asking to use their AMEX out of habit in a lot of places that actually accept now. It’s changed enormously in the last couple of years.

FYI I spend £100k pa, on my AMEX haha, not that anyone’s comparing. ;)

It's the same misperception as with the commission I guess - general sense that Amex isn't widely accepted so people don't ask - but yes, definitely getting better.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon

Interested by this. If you google around on this topic, all the information out there seems to indicate that Amex charge the highest fees and this is the reason that many merchants choose not to accept them. So either:
- you are right, and Amex have a real image problem that that they need to fix
or
- you are wrong

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Interested by this. If you google around on this topic, all the information out there seems to indicate that Amex charge the highest fees and this is the reason that many merchants choose not to accept them. So either:
or
- you are wrong

It's the first option. They used to charge much higher fees across the board. But now have more flexible fee structures depending on turnover etc which mean that for the smallest shops they can be cheaper than v/mc.

They don't publicly announce this though as gives away any negotiating power with larger merchants.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's the first option. They used to charge much higher fees across the board. But now have more flexible fee structures depending on turnover etc which mean that for the smallest shops they can be cheaper than v/mc.

They don't publicly announce this though as gives away any negotiating power with larger merchants.

This - it's historic.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
or
- you are wrong

It’s both haha

AMEX ‘is’ expensive for the merchants they bring the most value to. Their pricing is very varied and yet very fair, depending upon what customers they bring to the table, the frequency and the atv is understandably different. AMEX is hugely corporate and/or high spending. So for some merchants the atv and frequency is considerably higher and therefore AMEX are fully justified in charging a higher rate. (AMEX incentivise their customers to spend more obv, it’s their business model.)

So yes, AMEX ‘can’ still be expensive. It used to be expensive across the board and so hurt them as the payment industry has modernised. They’re doing everything they can to change that, it’s their number one priority, and it’s working but the old, out of date perception is still there obv.

Mr Putdown

Jan 26, 2004
Christchurch
Then I’d have two Amex cards………….still too many places they’re not accepted, and I get a BOGOF (companion) voucher every year with my existing (BA branded) Amex card so need to maintain that and a certain level of spend…….

Think you’re right re the current Hilton Visa (it’s a white labelled Barclaycard) being closed to new customers - has been for a while now. Shame as it’s excellent (as well as the points, it also gives instant Hilton Honors gold membership status which is very worthwhile when staying in the hotels).

Separately, I give you a call - are booking for next season being taken yet ?

We’ve been taking bookings since November 1st, all of September next year has already gone BTW but there’s space still available in all other months.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Blaming Visa's high transaction fees although Visa Debit cards will still be accepted.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59306200

Two options surely, get a Mastercard or Revolut issued in Lithuania.

Three options surely, get a Mastercard or Revolut issued in Lithuania or don't use Amazon.

I have stopped since charges for delivery here are outrageous.
Recently looked at a purchase and item was €13.50 but delivery/postage €18.50!

Bought similar from Joom for less money and free delivery.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
‘Agile’ is the aspiration of ALL companies but supertankers like Amazon & VISA?! haha Forget it! Agile is true of minnow start ups exclusively.

I've never worked in a minnow start-up but I have worked in many large and very large corporations over the last 35 years delivering a plethora of IT [software / infrastructure / transformation].
I'll always argue that waterfall has it's place [so will never disappear completely] but the culture of the "super-tankers" [that I've worked with] is definitely quite firmly now in the Agile approach.
I agree, in that I've never seen Agile working 100% as all would aspire it to, but it does absolutely facilitate a quicker route to live than anything else ever tried - JFDI excepted
DevOps, with CI/CD will take this to the next level and the organisations that can best embrace this concept will enjoy competitive advantage.

The greatest influencer between the comparative sizes of a business are the "bolitics" that hamper swift decision making and [I would expect] this aspect does not impact the minnows

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
I've never worked in a minnow start-up but I have worked in many large and very large corporations over the last 35 years delivering a plethora of IT [software / infrastructure / transformation].
I'll always argue that waterfall has it's place [so will never disappear completely] but the culture of the "super-tankers" [that I've worked with] is definitely quite firmly now in the Agile approach.
I agree, in that I've never seen Agile working 100% as all would aspire it to, but it does absolutely facilitate a quicker route to live than anything else ever tried - JFDI excepted
DevOps, with CI/CD will take this to the next level and the organisations that can best embrace this concept will enjoy competitive advantage.

The greatest influencer between the comparative sizes of a business are the "bolitics" that hamper swift decision making and [I would expect] this aspect does not impact the minnows

Agree

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
‘Agile’ is the aspiration of ALL companies but supertankers like Amazon & VISA?! haha Forget it! Agile is true of minnow start ups exclusively.

What a load of <censored>.

Yes, big multi-nationals find it more difficult, and a longer process, to transition into Agile. But making a claim like that ... wow, that's just ... I'm lost for words. As a Product Manager it really dismays me to see that someone appears to genuinely believe this nonsense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here