[News] Amazon to Stop Accepting UK Issued Visa Credit Cards from January

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Stopped using Amazon on principle 3 years ago. Don't understand why anyone wouldn't buy what they need from elsewhere.

Closest I've got to buying anything in recent year was taking up a months free prime membership to watch Clarkson's farm. Can't stand them...

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
tech changes? a line of code in accepted payment method. 5 minute job (plus a week regression testing)

Although a hugely naive exaggeration, the main issue will be the commercial and legal negotiations which can go on and on and on for months at the very very least (more accurately years) if this is where they’re at presently. Will likely be a year minimum before anything changes.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Stopped using Amazon on principle 3 years ago. Don't understand why anyone wouldn't buy what they need from elsewhere.

often cheaper, or not available elsewhere, and i cant stress this advantage enough, delivered to my door usually within 24 hrs.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This is my first thought. Amazon holding Visa to ransom. Conversations I guess have happened but Visa didn't give enough (or any) ground on their fees so let's up the ante.

Typical Bezos. There's never enough money for me.

Just covered by a city finance expert on LBC. Here's the difinitive information:

- Visa have increased their charges to Amazon from 0.3% to 1.5%. A price rise of 400%.
- Using the opportunity of our departure from the EU to do so, no longer governed by a regulation.
- Visa's annual profits were already $11b.
- It's a global spat between them, this was already brewing in other jurisdictions.

Visa are colossal too. Definitely not a case of David versus Goliath,

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
Although a hugely naive exaggeration, the main issue will be the commercial and legal negotiations which can go on and on and on for months at the very very least (more accurately years) if this is where they’re at presently. Will likely be a year minimum before anything changes.

Exactly. Having worked in the corporate world for my whole career, nothing happens in a hurry. There are layers and layers of the organisation to get through before it becomes a simple five minute code job!

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Exactly. Having worked in the corporate world for my whole career, nothing happens in a hurry. There are layers and layers of the organisation to get through before it becomes a simple five minute code job!

Yeah but, no but, yeah but - we all work to AGILE now - "5 minute job" maybe an exaggeration but we've seen the likes of HMRC implement significant system changes & new systems when reacting to things live covid19.

It can be done [where there is a will] in a hurry ....

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
Yeah but, no but, yeah but - we all work to AGILE now - "5 minute job" maybe an exaggeration but we've seen the likes of HMRC implement significant system changes & new systems when reacting to things live covid19.

Should just be config/ database change and restart.
Should be quick if the top bosses want it done

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

Apparently Amazon deploy a code change every 11.7 seconds.

I would anticipate that the config of which card providers are supported in each territory will be a pretty simple flick of a switch. This isn't removing Visa Credit completely just for the UK market. I wouldn't be hardcoding that in if I was in charge, would want to be able to quickly manage that just in case.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford

I would anticipate that the config of which card providers are supported in each territory will be a pretty simple flick of a switch. This isn't removing Visa Credit completely just for the UK market. I wouldn't be hardcoding that in if I was in charge, would want to be able to quickly manage that just in case.

Well, that's good and bad IMHO - good that Amazon clearly have grasped the DevOps approach and are able to deploy code as CI [continuous integration]. But maybe slightly worrying that the code needs to be changed so frequently. At that velocity, must be way more bug fixes than enhancements Shirley?

Or are the calling price change/updates code changes?

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Just covered by a city finance expert on LBC. Here's the difinitive information:

- Visa have increased their charges to Amazon from 0.3% to 1.5%. A price rise of 400%.
- Using the opportunity of our departure from the EU to do so, no longer governed by a regulation.
- It's a global spat between them, this was already brewing in other jurisdictions.

This isn't quite right, it's 1.5% on transactions processed in the EU. Amazon COULD process their transactions in the UK and pay a lower rate still.

Why do Amazon want to process in the EU? To dodge UK tax of course. It's not all VISA's fault...

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Totally irrelevant. AMEX made a deal acceptable to AMAZON. They don’t have the same Monopoly (arrogance) that VISA have and obv met in the middle. AMEX offer a HUGE amount of incentive above and beyond simply processing small value trans for the masses and nothing more. Not an exaggeration. AMEX offer endless additional services and benefits to card members and merchants.

A slightly strange rant given I was talking about Mastercard. I can only assume you are either a very loyal employee of AMEX or an equally loyal customer. Mastercard run both Amazon's credit card and rewards scheme .... not AMEX.

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Yep - this is nothing to do with 'code', and if an agreement on fees was reached Amazon would switch Visa back on (or vice versa) in an absolute instant. The announcement is bound to be the culmination of months of (failed) negotiation and it's now 'who blinks first' - but both are big enough not to blink at all - they'll survive without each other but Visa have more to lose I suspect as the vast majority of Amazon users will simply switch cards.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This isn't quite right, it's 1.5% on transactions processed in the EU. Amazon COULD process their transactions in the UK and pay a lower rate still.

Why do Amazon want to process in the EU? To dodge UK tax of course. It's not all VISA's fault...

Here’s the full timeline:

1. VISA and Mastercard exploited their incredible duopoly by charging up to 1.5% in the EU in interchange charges. Here’s the EU draft at that time https://ec.europa.eu/competition/publications/factsheet_interchange_fees_en.pdf.
2. The EU tackled this is anti-trust legislation, capping it at 0.3%.
3. VISA took the opportunity of the our departure from the EU to raise charges here to 1.5%.https://news.sky.com/story/visa-to-hike-interchange-fees-for-uk-customers-in-post-brexit-move-12247818

Amazon wasn’t mentioned in any of the above at the time, they’re just one of 10,000’s businesses affected by that rollercoaster.

But they are now, as they’re ditching the use of VISA credit cards in several jurisdictions in the world.

Agreed about Amazon but that’s a separate point, they’re tax avoiders, full stop.

https://news.sky.com/story/visa-to-...for-uk-customers-in-post-brexit-move-12247818

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
Here’s the full timeline:

1. VISA and Mastercard exploited their incredible duopoly by charging up to 1.5% in the EU in interchange charges. Here’s the EU draft at that time https://ec.europa.eu/competition/publications/factsheet_interchange_fees_en.pdf.
2. The EU tackled this is anti-trust legislation, capping it at 0.3%.
3. VISA took the opportunity of the our departure from the EU to raise charges here to 1.5%.https://news.sky.com/story/visa-to-hike-interchange-fees-for-uk-customers-in-post-brexit-move-12247818

Amazon wasn’t mentioned in any of the above at the time, they’re just one of 10,000’s businesses affected by that rollercoaster.

But they are now, as they’re ditching the use of VISA credit cards in several jurisdictions in the world.

Agreed about Amazon but that’s a separate point, they’re tax avoiders, full stop.

https://news.sky.com/story/visa-to-...for-uk-customers-in-post-brexit-move-12247818

Just read the Sky News piece ... 'Visa to hike interchange fees for UK customers ...'

It says at the bottom ... "The move to increase interchange fees will bring it into line with MasterCard, its rival payments group, which announced a similar move in January".

If this is the case then I'm confused why Amazon are just targeting Visa ... unless I've read this wrong?!

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014

FYI 1.5% isn’t high for the industry. 0.3% is Infact INSANELY LOW!! Which puts a whole different perspective on it. 1.5% is approx what all merchants pay for VISA too BTW.

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014

‘Agile’ is the aspiration of ALL companies but supertankers like Amazon & VISA?! haha Forget it! Agile is true of minnow start ups exclusively.

Last edited:

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014

The ‘code change’ is a piece of p!ss, that is not the issue and is the smallest part of the challenge. The bureaucracy involved in a change like that however is never ending!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports