Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All things about Gus Poyet - former Brighton and Hove Albion Manager

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
A comparison between him and Pulis seems appropriate at this point.

On the one hand a raging ego who is convinced it should be taken as read that he is PL quality. On the other a slogger of a manager with a long proven track record taking a gamble on a club everyone thought would trash his CV.
Both take over clubs "guaranteed" to down this season.

Pulis pulls untold number of miracles out of his bag of tricks and CP actually, depressingly, look safe and beginning to look solid in the division (albeit low in the division).

Poyet on the other hand and taken over a team of misfits, misfiring week in week out and, guess what, still has a team of misfits, misfiring... but its entirely down to them, not to the management team who's job it is to get them into shape.

The biggest kick in the teeth is him slagging of his players for turning up late to training... what time did he arrive for the Palace playoff??

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Such a shame he didn't just finish the job properly here and then go to Spurs etc.

Jumped ship and unsurprisingly given level he went to, struggled.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Such a shame he didn't just finish the job properly here and then go to Spurs etc.

Jumped ship and unsurprisingly given level he went to, struggled.

It was a shame. We were the form team looking confident. Had Poyet remained focused for 2 more games we'd have been happy and his reputation would have been enhanced - feeding that ego of his.

He is now in danger of following Paul Ince and the likes of Holloway down the road of mediocre appointments because they couldn't make the grade.

A job in Spain is probably best for him right now but he would probably start covetting the job at Atlético Madrid as soon as setting foot on Spanish soil.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'll probably be in a very small minority but I find all this blood-letting rather pathetic.

As for calling Oatway a crony - well only a moron would do that !

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
True, but in the case of Everton, Martinez had several successful fights against relegation before they inevitably went down, and it was all with Wigan, a club that has to expect to drop at some point. He also won the FA Cup and had them playing some decent football. Sunderland are much bigger, so a relegation there looks worse on the manager, especially when they're playing so poorly. In the case of Stoke, they're not a top club and not one that Gus would dream of managing. He could recover his reputation to the point where he is managing a club like Stoke within two or three years, but that's a far cry from his talk of Chelsea and Spurs.

When did Chelsea last appoint someone with a relegation to their name? I genuinely think this is game over for Gus in terms of ever managing a top club. He can come back to find himself at a mid/lower table EPL team, but no more than that.

All valid points, but Martinez is five years ahead of Poyet in PL management terms.

Stoke and Sunderland I'd say should be on a par with each other in terms of 'top club' listings or size.

The point I'm making is, a relegation on your CV doesn't necessarily disqualify you from a 'top club'. Even 'Arry had a relegation on his CV and subsequently took over at Spurs.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I'll probably be in a very small minority but I find all this blood-letting rather pathetic.

As for calling Oatway a crony - well only a moron would do that !

Yes, Tanno and Charlie are not cronies, Gus should really stay put, Sunderland would be a good club to have on your CV as a promotion to the premiership, although we know Gus wants it all Now Now Now

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
If we get promoted, and Swansea Oscar goes off to Swansea, maybe Gus would like to make a return to the Amex? :moo: :thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Gus is a fool. Had he stayed with us, there is every chance that we would have been promoted automatically this season, so he would have neither a sacking for gross misconduct nor a relegation on his CV.

He had a good thing going at the Albion. He must realise that now (as must Liam Bridcutt).

Yeah but as he said when he got the Sunderland job " I don't want to talk about it, my last few months at Brighton were painful"

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Would love it if the Poyet management team rolled out of Blunderland leaving Bridcutt stuck in the Northeast and back in the Championship next season, having swapped a team where he was worshipped by many for a team where the fans aren't so keen.

Cruel, but...........

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Do you think he's wrong?

Done nothing in the league to make me think he's right, they are even further adrift of safety than they were when he arrived there. They survived last season so yes, in fact I think he's deluded, not just wrong. :smile:

He has got two games in hand to prove me wrong though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here