Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

All things about Gus Poyet - former Brighton and Hove Albion Manager

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
I agree. I think that Gus staying would have been more detrimental to this season then him leaving when he did. He was obviously no longer happy here and there would have been a lot of unrest every time another manager lost his job. It became incredibly tedious, his name being linked with every vacation and can't make for a settled team.

Regardless of what happens in the last four games I think Oscar has done a great job. He just quietly (almost too quietly) gets on with the job. If he does leave to go to Swansea at the end of the season, I will be sad to see him go. But I bet it will be done in a much more gracious way that will benefit Oscar and the club, none of the rubbish that we had with Gus leaving. I was talking about it with my Mum and she said that compared to Gus, Oscar seems to behave like a grown up. What do Mum's know?

About football, nothing. About acting maturely/immaturely, everything.

I'm no fan of Gus anymore and I like Oscar. But one hand we've people saying Oscar only had 6 weeks pre-season, stuck with same players as last year (who finished fourth), been able to make the changes he's wanted and is statistically poorer than Gus and blaming Gus completely for Sunderland's downfall, who took over a team of shite, 5 games into the season and has statistically improved them.
It is more than a little nonsensical

Yeh I agree but the excuse doesn't work for Gus any more than it does Oscar. Gus has failed - it has surprised me because they just fell off a cliff after the Wembley final after looking reasonably well set to survive. What he would have given for some of those 8 cup fixture wins to be league 3 pointers, could have been so different.

But he will bounce back somewhere, does anyone doubt that?

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
They average just under a point a game with him in charge which could see them safe if it had been over the whole season. They had 1 point from 5 games before he took over and they'd played Fulham, Crystal Palace and West Brom in those games. If he hadn't done well in the two cup competitions I reckon they'd probably be clear by now but that's speculation. But i think if you were a neutral it would be far to say Sunderland have improved under Gus.

For Gus's sake, I hope you are a Premier League chairman....

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
But he will bounce back somewhere, does anyone doubt that?

Bounce back - presumably you mean not just get another job (which he's bound to - the Leeds door will be open 24/7 for him) but also be successful? I think he's got a better chance of being successful by going abroad. After his Albion and Sunderland double debacle the only way back to a 'big' British job is if he takes, say, Real Zaragoza to a Europa League place / domestic Cup Final or something.

Bounce back - presumably you mean not just get another job (which he's bound to - the Leeds door will be open 24/7 for him) but also be successful? I think he's got a better chance of being successful by going abroad. After his Albion and Sunderland double debacle the only way back to a 'big' British job is if he takes, say, Real Zaragoza to a Europa League place / domestic Cup Final or something.

Think he'll do better than Leeds but we'll see. And I think only slightly over sensitive Albion fans view his time here as a debacle, not the rest of football.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
By debacle at the Albion I mean how the appointment ended. Sunderland has turned into a debacle, even his cronies on the MOTD panel were nodding sagely that Sunderland are already dead and buried.

I can't see too many sets of Prem fans being happy if Gus was their next appointment. Similarly, I can see a few Championship clubs might be, but most of those will have either a nutter chairman or a ceiling.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Think he'll do better than Leeds but we'll see. And I think only slightly over sensitive Albion fans view his time here as a debacle, not the rest of football.

A disaster of his own making at the end of his reign here is an inarguable fact. However, his performance as a manager of our team was inarguably good. He was not ready for the Prem. He thought he was. His massive ego and huge mouth will forever inhibit his football management career. He would do well to consider this:

"How he would love to be in Martínez's shoes. Yet much as his former Real Zaragoza team-mate probably sympathises, Martínez could do worse than gently remind Poyet that it was only after several seasons of long, hard slog at Swansea and Wigan that he earned the right to manage Everton."

Chickens coming home to roost for Mr Ego. My heart bleeds.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I know it is irrelevant because he would've jumped ship by now, but I do wonder how GP would have fared at the Albion this season, given the injuries we've had, combined with the policy of bringing young players through. In a bizarre way, we may have dodged a bullet by getting rid of him, even though it didn't seem like it (to plenty) at the time.

He would've struggled because:

1. Budget not big enough to buy in exotic players
2. He would've wanted to replace the injured players with expensive Premiership loanees and would've sulked big time when he was told "no", but you can have Lita and Obika.
3. He never believed the kids were good enough, so no kids would've made the first team
4. He would've had to explain what happened in March and during the play-offs
5. He'd fallen out with just about everyone above him at the club for one reason or another (Bloom, Barber, Burke?)
6. He would still be covetously eying any Premiership job that came up and reminding Chelsea, Spurs and Leeds that he was their manager in waiting and seriously pissing everyone off.
7. Etc Etc Etc Etc

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yes Gus is firmly on the managerial merry-go-round.
He has a champions trophy, a play-off place, and a cup final on his CV.
He may well have a relegation too, but that's 'just' disfunctional Sunderland.

Unfortunately for Gus and his search for an elite job, he may well also have 2 acrimonious departures.

Looking at the track record of the new Leeds Chairman the next manager of Leeds will also have an acrimonious departure on his CV.
If Gus were to leave Sunderland his next job choice will be very important if he ever sees himself at Chelsea and to a lesser extent the car crash that is Tottenham.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Just did a piece on poyet on 5live, they said he sounds like a man who has given up and one of the guys said that it sounds exactly like the end of last season, he isn't getting his own way up there so the toys are coming out again. Interesting.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Just did a piece on poyet on 5live, they said he sounds like a man who has given up and one of the guys said that it sounds exactly like the end of last season, he isn't getting his own way up there so the toys are coming out again. Interesting.

Any fancy digging this out of iPlayer? Would love to give it a listen.

MarioOrlandi

Jun 4, 2013
Oh dear Gus

rupy3ape.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here