Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alexis Mac Allister: Albion legend?

Is Alexis Mac Allister an Albion club legend?

• Of course he is!

Votes: 144 52.6%
  • Nah.

Votes: 130 47.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Depends how you define 'legend' shirley?

Is it measured by:

- highest number of appearances in the stripes?
- highest number of goals scored for the stripes?
- highest level of achievement while signed to the stripes?

Macca (circa 2% of the NSC POTS votes) clearly falls into the third category. And if there was a category for 'Most Clinical Penalty Taker For The Stripes', then he'd probably win that too.

'Legend' clearly means different strokes to different folks tho eh?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Good point. Actually I think we'll know more about his 'legend' status at the end of next season anyway. If he scores for Liverpool against us and gives it the biggun in front of the North Stand I think a few will change their minds! :lolol:

That is a joke btw, I really, really don't think he'd by classless enough to do that, it goes against everything we (think) we know about him.
Do Argentines do the the whole "don't celebrate in front of your old club" thing?
Genuine question, I don't know if that's something everybody cares about or if it's just an English thing.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
But the term 'legend' is subjective. One's person's interpretation of it (in a footballing context) is someone like Dunky who has spent their whole career at a club, led the club on a 'journey' from lower leagues. But someone else could (using the example of Ali Mac), say that a couple of REALLY good seasons – one where he's won the World Cup (albeit not for Brighton, obvs) and scored a last-gasp penalties in one of the games of the season – is enough to put him at that same level.

Yes, he won the WC, but I couldn't give two shits about international football and it's nothing to do with the club, so that has no bearing on his rating as an ALBION legend to ME. As I said before, very good player – VERY good – and a great guy to have around the place, but it's the longevity thing (or lack of it) that does it for me. I know it's not his fault that he was in demand and he's facked off, but when I compare him with, say, Groß, who has been on the whole PL journey with Brighton, the man with the turn is more of a legend than Ali Mac.

I do also wonder whether, if Ali Mac had stayed next season – and next season turned out to be not such a roller-coaster and is enough time for the WC win to be more of a distant memory for fans – and THEN went for, say, £20m, if he would be viewed differently?
Alexis development as a footballer is nothing to do with the club? How has he improved to WC level then?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Alexis development as a footballer is nothing to do with the club? How has he improved to WC level then?
What? I mean the ACHIEVEMENT of winning the World Cup (International football) is nothing to do with (as in unrelated, or has no bearing on) Brighton (club football).

Of COURSE he's got better since he joined, that's why he's got the move he got.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
45% think the only Albion player (or first Albion player) to win the World Cup isn’t a legend?

This is the guy who cried after his last game?

Good grief. Unless this is some massive fishing exercise, out club is supported by a significant number of people who have lost the f***ing plot!
We will put you down as maybe voting legend then :moo:

Sounds like someone is hot or tired :lolol:

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Club legend possibly not because it is not necessarily about how good they are, but he would certainly get into my all time Albion XI.
He has all the attributes other than longevity. Perhaps if he had scored a winner in the Semi and again in the final I’d rethink that! 😂

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
Winning the WC is as good as it gets but not entirely sure the relevance to club legend status. As evidenced by his swift move following the WC, it’s obvious despite having a lot of affinity for the club, he doesn’t bleed blue and white. There’s only really 1, MAYBE 2, club legends playing for us at the moment and it’s pretty obvious who they are.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Winning the WC is as good as it gets but not entirely sure the relevance to club legend status. As evidenced by his swift move following the WC, it’s obvious despite having a lot of affinity for the club, he doesn’t bleed blue and white. There’s only really 1, MAYBE 2, club legends playing for us at the moment and it’s pretty obvious who they are.
Yeah, just the one at the moment I think.

BrightonLoyal

Apr 1, 2020
Not for me, great player no doubt who I've loved watching playing but not here long enough to be considered a legend I dont think. Special talent, great guy who handled his departure well and a World Cup winner, good luck Alexis.

Like others have said Moises would be the bigger loss, if we can keep him and bring in Billy to replace Alexis next season we'll push on again

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Unless bhafc becomes top 4, or we truly establish ourselves as a big club, we will be talking about the player who played for us and won the world cup for 40+ years...

His world cup win coupled with a great stint at the club has surely cemented him a place as a Brighton legend.

scwiffy

Jun 24, 2011
IMO successful players/great players are different from “club legends”, he’s close but wasn’t here long enough to qualify as what I deem to be a ‘club legend’. Another season and maybe. Having said that, if we fall off a cliff and never return to the highs of last season, I think time will give him a legendary feeling, especially as he left so amicably and clearly loved the club

Now Dunky - there’s a true club legend. Gross too maybe

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Is 98 appearances for the Albion enough to make him a legend ? Not sure I can recall many memorable goals ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here