Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alex Pritchard

Blue_Boy

Apr 26, 2016
North Of The Wall
Would it only be Illegal if Spurs complained?

I am not sure they would be too bothered.

That may be so but Spurs themselves have an obligation and responsibility to abide to FA Rules & Regulations so will be very aware that if they dealt with Pritchard and his agent on the quiet they'd be participating illegally in a transfer in that any Club interested in signing their contracted players must ask them officially.

We asked for Spurs permission to speak to Pritchard in keeping with the required legislation. Ok so it's not unlikely for AP's agent to then tip off other Clubs of fee, wage details etc so they've a heads up. Having said that if Spurs then had a bid from a Club knowing what would beat our offer & agreed privately to sell for higher than we've offered they're on very dangerous grounds for obvious reasons

It might only be a stalling measure but Norwich or any Club can't just make an offer for Pritchard without officially asking Spurs to talk to him. It's not likely to put a Club off granted but maybe for some reason an interested Club prefers an on the quiet undisclosed fee deal? An example would be if they have other targets in place & want to bypass required rules to secure AP's signature quickly so they can then drop interest in those other deals

We did things properly & if we're outbid or lose out I'd want it to be to a Club that doesn't opt for underhand methods. Surely in registering a player the selling Club must prove they were initially officially contacted to approach a player

As you say if Spurs want more after an agent's tip off they might be able to find a way but it would mean asking the interested Club to first ask officially. Possibly not a big deal to some Clubs but any with other deals also nearing completion they might not want any delay

Guess I'm either a moralist or want this signing to come off lol

Boy Blue

Banned
Mar 14, 2016
In terms of quality, Norwood is no big 'anti-climax' from Pritchard. He's played about 200 games at our level, and 40-odd full international caps. He's a good player. Rather keep Stephens though - if that were the choice.

I understand but having looked I think we'll be weaker. Oh I don't know anymore, I'm going out.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
they have webbed feet so it will take a while

I was expecting this as a reply

visitnorwich-visitor-guide1.jpg

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I am busy berating myself for getting too excited too early. It's not uncommon I've heard..
Genuine shame if his move to Norwich is confirmed, but this is the challenge for most of the Clubs at this time of year.. Does re-open up the wider debate about parachute payments.. I guess they are not being applied in the way in which they were devised, or at least I think they were devised, that is to reduce the risk of relegated clubs from going out of business with inflated PL wages. If they are not being used in that way, coupled with the various clauses in contracts that protect Clubs and players if they are relegated, then it must be up for debate if they need reviewing?
Our world will not end without Pritchard and I can't help hoping that it goes belly-up for him.. to be fair nothing I had read said that the player himself had said he was coming..

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Struggling to get too upset about a potential signing I only found out about yesterday that now isn't happening..........the 'transfer window wheel of fortune' still has many spins left yet and I'm sure the club have a few other things on the go. Hope Pritchard enjoys his time stagnating on the yellow bench

seagullmouse

Jan 3, 2011
The positive spin on this is that at least we have some money to spend. Its good that we won't break the bank on wages and ruin the club. Its also fun to have something to read on NSC as transfer news as this window has been sloooow.

I do find it odd we aren't splashing this cash on a CB instead.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
If Norwich's approach is illegal, as is reported in the press, then I don't see how he can end up signing for them. At the very least we should end up with him and Norwich will be fined.

Why would we want a player who doesn't want to play for us.

He would have been a good signing, but if we have that sort of money to spend we ought to be able to find someone else as good or better.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
If Norwich's approach is illegal, as is reported in the press, then I don't see how he can end up signing for them. At the very least we should end up with him and Norwich will be fined.

It's not Norwich who are in the wrong here, what they have done is rife in football, and seems only "illegal" in a fair play sense. It's his greedy money grabbing agent who leaked the news we'd agreed a fee with Spurs that you can blame if this goes t1ts up!

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Not bothered about Norwood. Not as good as Dale and Beram and I don't want us abandoning two up top.
So, personally, I hope we're not after him.

I assume Pritchard has a rather attractive cousin.

Rod Marsh

Aug 9, 2013
Sussex
The positive spin on this is that at least we have some money to spend. Its good that we won't break the bank on wages and ruin the club. Its also fun to have something to read on NSC as transfer news as this window has been sloooow.

I do find it odd we aren't splashing this cash on a CB instead.

I don't. If we do, we'll have 4 first choice CB's. We need an Aaron Hughes type that can cover Centre back/full back and know he will only play a few games in a season.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
It's not Norwich who are in the wrong here, what they have done is rife in football, and seems only "illegal" in a fair play sense. It's his greedy money grabbing agent who leaked the news we'd agreed a fee with Spurs that you can blame if this goes t1ts up!

Or .. we could wait and see what actually happened.

We don;t know that for sure - Norwich may have actually gone about things perfectly legally and he feels his career would be better with them.

The only person i have seen claim it was illegal is Naylor and he may not have all his facts correct

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Never heard of Norwood. Absolutely p!ssed off how we've let our biggest ever signing slip thro our hands.

Come on man; if he's gone to Norwich its because they have more money than us and are prepared to pay it. It's hardly as if we've dropped the sodding ball.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That may be so but Spurs themselves have an obligation and responsibility to abide to FA Rules & Regulations so will be very aware that if they dealt with Pritchard and his agent on the quiet they'd be participating illegally in a transfer in that any Club interested in signing their contracted players must ask them officially.

We asked for Spurs permission to speak to Pritchard in keeping with the required legislation. Ok so it's not unlikely for AP's agent to then tip off other Clubs of fee, wage details etc so they've a heads up. Having said that if Spurs then had a bid from a Club knowing what would beat our offer & agreed privately to sell for higher than we've offered they're on very dangerous grounds for obvious reasons

It might only be a stalling measure but Norwich or any Club can't just make an offer for Pritchard without officially asking Spurs to talk to him. It's not likely to put a Club off granted but maybe for some reason an interested Club prefers an on the quiet undisclosed fee deal? An example would be if they have other targets in place & want to bypass required rules to secure AP's signature quickly so they can then drop interest in those other deals

We did things properly & if we're outbid or lose out I'd want it to be to a Club that doesn't opt for underhand methods. Surely in registering a player the selling Club must prove they were initially officially contacted to approach a player

As you say if Spurs want more after an agent's tip off they might be able to find a way but it would mean asking the interested Club to first ask officially. Possibly not a big deal to some Clubs but any with other deals also nearing completion they might not want any delay

Guess I'm either a moralist or want this signing to come off lol

Even if clubs, players and agents were minded to conform (and I don't think any of them are) if you create 2 transfer windows and force a frenzy of activity into a 48-hour window then you're going to get everyone involved cutting corners to get the deals done.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Or .. we could wait and see what actually happened.

We don;t know that for sure - Norwich may have actually gone about things perfectly legally and he feels his career would be better with them.

The only person i have seen claim it was illegal is Naylor and he may not have all his facts correct

There doesn't seem to be one reliable source reporting that Norwich agreed a fee with Spurs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here