Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums you thought were legendary but no longer think so....

boik

I’m afraid I couldn’t disagree more… Minstrel destroys anything by Yes who are almost as unlistenable (‘trooper aside) as Gabriel era Genesis and King Crimson post In the Court… and I’ve tried to ‘get into it…’ I’ve owned several ‘classic’ Yes albums… some more than once, always thinking this time I’ll get it… and yet… I literally can’t find a reason to keep them in my collection - even with the oft splendid Roger Dean artwork. I love Wakeman’s early 70s solo stuff btw, so I’m not completely anti the Yes family.

However, having said all of that, nothing quite reaches the absolutely horrific lows of ELP…

Give me thermo nuclear rock and roll 🎸 or unheralded prog masterpieces!

I don’t rate every Tull album either … Just wanted to point that out :)

Now the Strawbs, there’s a band who get better with age… Union aside obviously… ahem.

Fair enough. I actually dislike the lyrics and vocals on just about everything by Yes, and the music is way too contrived, but whenever I hear anything by them I'm struck by the sheer variety and inventiveness of Howes guitar playing. And yet people rave over Clapton and Gilmour who just seem to play the same styles on everything. I'm very used to being out of step with popular opinion!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Last time I listened to The Clash 'London Calling' I found it too sprawling and thought it would benefit from losing a song from each side.
Whether this means they are no longer 'legendary' is a different matter but I reckon a bit of judicious pruning wouldn't have gone a miss and resulted in better albums.
Which tracks from London Calling would you remove?

I personally think it’s mighty fine just as it is.

Last edited:

thejackal

Throbbing Member
Oct 22, 2008
Brighthelmstone
I used to love The Police when they first came out, especially Regatta De Blanc, but they are a band that have not aged well for me.
Dire Straits ‘Brothers in Arms’ is another album that sounds dated.
I still love The Police's early albums.

Always hated Dire Straits, still can't listen to them.

Horses for courses.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Fair enough. I actually dislike the lyrics and vocals on just about everything by Yes, and the music is way too contrived, but whenever I hear anything by them I'm struck by the sheer variety and inventiveness of Howes guitar playing. And yet people rave over Clapton and Gilmour who just seem to play the same styles on everything. I'm very used to being out of step with popular opinion!
Yes - yes were (in my opinion) contrived in a trying too hard to be complex kind of a way… that said, few bands ever really sounded like them… they were (I guess) unique… Howe too is an interesting player… capable as you say of being quite different within the whole - sometimes front and centre, sometimes less so. One got the impression he was more about the composition than ‘Steve Howe’ which is refreshing.

Anderson though … hmmmm he had a good range I guess, but his lyrics are too deliberately oblique, his tone grating … and I find things all too parpy… a bit like being on a bouncy castle as an adult… never a good look… out of control, and once you’re down, try as you might… you just can’t get up again… an exhausting experience.

I find bands like Caravan - the absolute tonic to Yes… indeed I remember my excitement at finding three or four of thier reissues in my local Virgin Megastore… oh the days… the guy behind the counter telling me they were cool albums, me being approx 17 or so back in circa 98… getting home and playing In the Land Of…

Gentle jazzy, folky, with a blues edge… mixed with a homely lyrical slant thst made me almost smell a village fete just after a summer downpour… quiet, calm… the sun breaking through… and the best band you’re ever likely to hear, performing in the damp, grassy marquee next to Mr Browns prize winning leeks… now that is art.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
Which tracks from London Calling would you remove?

I personally think it’s mighty fine just as it is.

I'd have to listen again to it all the way through a couple times to decide and I'd rather use that time listen to Lemonheads, 'It's Shame About Ray'* LP watch 'Reservoir Dogs' and make a nice bacon and fried egg sandwich.

Possibly take the 4 most rockabilly tracks out and stick them on an EP?

Not sure.

Another odd one for the list is The Wedding Present 'George Best' which I loved since it came out and thought was perfect. However, they recorded it a few years ago with Steve Albini producing and I now prefer that version as it's meatier.

*The original release, not the one with Mrs Robinson tacked on, that takes it over the half hour mark.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes - yes were (in my opinion) contrived in a trying too hard to be complex kind of a way… that said, few bands ever really sounded like them… they were (I guess) unique… Howe too is an interesting player… capable as you say of being quite different within the whole - sometimes front and centre, sometimes less so. One got the impression he was more about the composition than ‘Steve Howe’ which is refreshing.

Anderson though … hmmmm he had a good range I guess, but his lyrics are too deliberately oblique, his tone grating … and I find things all too parpy… a bit like being on a bouncy castle as an adult… never a good look… out of control, and once you’re down, try as you might… you just can’t get up again… an exhausting experience.

I find bands like Caravan - the absolute tonic to Yes… indeed I remember my excitement at finding three or four of thier reissues in my local Virgin Megastore… oh the days… the guy behind the counter telling me they were cool albums, me being approx 17 or so back in circa 98… getting home and playing In the Land Of…

Gentle jazzy, folky, with a blues edge… mixed with a homely lyrical slant thst made me almost smell a village fete just after a summer downpour… quiet, calm… the sun breaking through… and the best band you’re ever likely to hear, performing in the damp, grassy marquee next to Mr Browns prize winning leeks… now that is art.
Grey and Pink. Ah, Caravan. One of the first bands I saw live, around 73 at Brighton Poly. Over the years I accumulated pretty much everything they ever released (including the MGM Verve first album on vinyl). There is one track on the vinyl with the vocal accidentally mixed at too low volume. They always said they'd remix it for CD but don't ever appear to have done so.

I was taken to a gig at Diss for a surprise 40th (er, 25 years ago) and was introduced to the band.

Last time I saw them was in Canterbury around 10 years ago, after Richard (the drummer) had died, and without Dougie Boyle on guitar, and with Jan Schelhaas on keyboards. I didn't stay for the second set. I'm sure I have posted all this before - probably several times :lolol:

Probably seen them live more than any other band (other than, maybe, Brighton's Wrist Action).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Kosh, I reckon from your music tastes you were probably born a decade too late :smile:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My poor memory tells me that you don't like The Beatles.
My aesthetic judgment is that The Beatles are one of the best recorded bands in history, whereas The Stone Roses ...
I'd have to listen again to it all the way through a couple times to decide and I'd rather use that time listen to Lemonheads, 'It's Shame About Ray'* LP watch 'Reservoir Dogs' and make a nice bacon and fried egg sandwich.

Possibly take the 4 most rockabilly tracks out and stick them on an EP?

Not sure.

Another odd one for the list is The Wedding Present 'George Best' which I loved since it came out and thought was perfect. However, they recorded it a few years ago with Steve Albini producing and I now prefer that version as it's meatier.

*The original release, not the one with Mrs Robinson tacked on, that takes it over the half hour mark.
Talking of rerecording, that attempt by Macca to return Let It Be to how it allegedly should have sounded, Let It Be….Naked, isnt very good in my opinion. I haven’t listened to it since it came out but from memory it sounded like a polished pub band playing The Beatles.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Talking of rerecording, that attempt by Macca to return Let It Be to how it should have sounded, Let It Be….Naked, isnt very good in my opinion. I haven’t listened to it since it came out but from memory it sounded like a polished pub band playing The Beatles.
Shit dirgy song from the off, you can't polish a turd. You can chuck the Long and Winding Road and Hey Jude into the same category...imo

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Grey and Pink. Ah, Caravan. One of the first bands I saw live, around 73 at Brighton Poly. Over the years I accumulated pretty much everything they ever released (including the MGM Verve first album on vinyl). There is one track on the vinyl with the vocal accidentally mixed at too low volume. They always said they'd remix it for CD but don't ever appear to have done so.

I was taken to a gig at Diss for a surprise 40th (er, 25 years ago) and was introduced to the band.

Last time I saw them was in Canterbury around 10 years ago, after Richard (the drummer) had died, and without Dougie Boyle on guitar, and with Jan Schelhaas on keyboards. I didn't stay for the second set. I'm sure I have posted all this before - probably several times :lolol:

Probably seen them live more than any other band (other than, maybe, Brighton's Wrist Action).
I finally saw them about 18 months back… Jan back on ‘boards… the copious amounts of red wine might have helped, but they were utterly sublime.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

I saw one of the last gigs Richard played (2005) last time I saw them was Dec 22 . . . New bass player and they were very good, but Pye is no spring chicken, you can hear his voice is weakening.

The first 3 albums are superb. Better than anything PF have ever done. Although Piper at the gates of Dawn is up there.

I'm amazed the first album hasn't ever been remastered/reissued properly. Not a cheap acquisition, but a most worthwhile one.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Shit dirgy song from the off, you can't polish a turd. You can chuck the Long and Winding Road and Hey Jude into the same category...imo
I am referring to the album which he remixed*

* i.e. removed all traces of Phil Spector.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I saw one of the last gigs Richard played (2005) last time I saw them was Dec 22 . . . New bass player and they were very good, but Pye is no spring chicken, you can hear his voice is weakening.

The first 3 albums are superb. Better than anything PF have ever done. Although Piper at the gates of Dawn is up there.

I'm amazed the first album hasn't ever been remastered/reissued properly. Not a cheap acquisition, but a most worthwhile one.
The bass player is Jim Leverton. He lives in a caravan just outside Faversham. Amazingly he's still alive. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Leverton
He told me, one time when I met him somewhere or other, he can't remember anything about the 60s or 70s but he imagines it was rather jolly. He sings a couple of tracks on Battle of Hastings, a surprisingly good album.

Waterloo Lilly is a weak album but they bounced back with probably their best - For Girls who Grow Plump in the Night. This wasn't the planned title, but they were stopped from using the chosen one because Aerosmith gazumped them. Toys in the Attic.

Part of the excitement about moving to Faversham in 89 was the connection with Caravan and the Canterbury sound. Practically everyone aged over 70 I have spoken to down here was at 'that party' when Robert Wyatt had his accident. And I love driving past the church field where Caravan apparently lived in a tent for a short while in the late 60s. Just checked my CDs and I have 21 (!) by Caravan. None compilations. There are a couple of others I have on vinyl only.

I'm not a big fan of PF (I have four of their early CDs), and put 'Money' up there with 'Sussudio' and 'Chirpychirpycheepcheep' as three tracks that would break me, as a man, if played on repeat for as little as an hour.

:thumbsup:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
The bass player is Jim Leverton. He lives in a caravan just outside Faversham. Amazingly he's still alive. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Leverton
He told me, one time when I met him somewhere or other, he can't remember anything about the 60s or 70s but he imagines it was rather jolly. He sings a couple of tracks on Battle of Hastings, a surprisingly good album.

Waterloo Lilly is a weak album but they bounced back with probably their best - For Girls who Grow Plump in the Night. This wasn't the planned title, but they were stopped from using the chosen one because Aerosmith gazumped them. Toys in the Attic.

Part of the excitement about moving to Faversham in 89 was the connection with Caravan and the Canterbury sound. Practically everyone aged over 70 I have spoken to down here was at 'that party' when Robert Wyatt had his accident. And I love driving past the church field where Caravan apparently lived in a tent for a short while in the late 60s. Just checked my CDs and I have 21 (!) by Caravan. None compilations. There are a couple of others I have on vinyl only.

I'm not a big fan of PF (I have four of their early CDs), and put 'Money' up there with 'Sussudio' and 'Chirpychirpycheepcheep' as three tracks that would break me, as a man, if played on repeat for as little as an hour.

:thumbsup:
New bass player is Lee Pomeroy. He's very good, also offers vocals, closest I've heard to Richard Sinclair.

Jim played with them for years. Wasn't he in fat mattress with Noel Redding? He was ok, never did some of the tracks full justice to my ears, perhaps being a bit critical, but I'm a bass player!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I finally saw them about 18 months back… Jan back on ‘boards… the copious amounts of red wine might have helped, but they were utterly sublime.

New bass player is Lee Pomeroy. He's very good, also offers vocals, closest I've heard to Richard Sinclair.

Jim played with them for years. Wasn't he in fat mattress with Noel Redding? He was ok, never did some of the tracks full justice to my ears, perhaps being a bit critical, but I'm a bass player!
Yes, Jim has been around a bit.

This is great - Pye singing backing vocal.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here