Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Albums you thought were legendary but no longer think so....

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
.... and prefer another in their catalogue.

For me, Ok Computer by Radiohead.

Had it for years, saw Radiohead '96? @Wertcher (with Bowie, Neil Young, Foos and Pulp, my that was fun) and with Beck in Oxford and then Glastonbury. Bought Ok Computer on cssette tape in Bangkok on release date, loved The Bends before it, and listened to it to death while backpacking, loved it. After many years of not paying much attention to Radiohead, listening again, find it rather drab and not the classic I felt at the time.

Much prefer In Rainbows.

You?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I remember, ages ago, seeing Bob Geldof as a panelist on a TV show about the best albums of all time and being extremely irritated that he dismissed the nomination of 'The Stone Roses' as recency bias. Twenty something years on, I reconsider my reaction and say...

F**k you Geldof it's still one of the best albums of all time.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Once legendary stays legendary in my book. I can't really think of any album I own that I now have a polar opposite opinion of.

Probably much easier to pick a few albums I originally thought were gash but over the years I've warmed to and now really appreciate. A prime example being The X Factor by my faves Iron Maiden. Maiden fans were mourning the loss of Dickinson and Smith, the production and feel was gloomy and Blaze Bayley was so different and couldn't cut it live. Grunge was king and Maiden's brand of metal looked old hat. Years later it still sounds gloomy but has depth and The Sign of The Cross is a genuine classic track.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
For myself - and remember this is albums you thought were legendary and now think a bit less of I would say "The Beatles" White album. Lots of great songs, but not such a great album. I wouldn't want to listen to it all the way through now that I can just listen to the good tracks on there.

And to annoy you further, I feel the same about "The Stone Roses" first LP. I was there at the time, even went to Manchester and bought the (hooded) top. But no, dit's not legendary to me anymore. It's ok, but not much more than that.

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
For me Duran Duran debut album but I prefer Rio nowdays and future past as well .
This made me chuckle, thank you (no disrespect meant, genuinely interested).
ps -I got a detention at school for getting angry and arguing over the actual lyrics of The Reflex with a classmate. French teacher must have been a lonely child (edit - no I wasn't arguing in French I was in the bottom class and paid no attention in this lesson).

herecomesaregular

Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
For myself - and remember this is albums you thought were legendary and now think a bit less of I would say "The Beatles" White album. Lots of great songs, but not such a great album. I wouldn't want to listen to it all the way through now that I can just listen to the good tracks on there.

And to annoy you further, I feel the same about "The Stone Roses" first LP. I was there at the time, even went to Manchester and bought the (hooded) top. But no, dit's not legendary to me anymore. It's ok, but not much more than that.
Definitely agree with the White Album, listened to it a lot years ago now would only pick a few tracks out. As for the Roses, they blew up large in my teenage years just at that point when music was so important ......but they were loved by such a group of trendy wnkers at college that I just could not bear (bare?) to get into them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here