Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albums Thread - 2015

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I'm a big fan of that Ghostpoet album too but, at the moment, I'm particularly enjoying that Follakzoid album called III which has prevented me from even listening to the new Godspeed album. Thanks to @springhallconvert for the recommendation.

Minimal krauty loveliness.

Still the Liturgy album for me. Very bold.

The GNOD record is a good 'un as well. It will definitely place high for me this year.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
One for you hip-hop fans out there to watch for; The evil genius - Bugsy Malone. He's been the best MC in Manchester for the last few years, but over the last couple of months he's gone up a gear and he's about to fully BLOW UP. It all started when he put out one of the best Fire In The Booth videos ever; where he sent shots at Chip. (The oopsy-daisy star Chipmunk, who's came back to Grime music.) This was largely down to Chipmunk coming out and saying he was the "King of Grime" and giving a patronising message to unsigned artists. A LOT of people took offence to this, mainly people like Bugzy, who's from a rough part of Manchester and has been through the stereotypical crime/drugs/violence/prison lifestyle and is now trying to do well.

This started some good old fashioned Grime Beef (2 artists sending songs full off insults at each other.) however Bugzy tore Chipmunk to pieces, even going to his hometown to film the video. How onesided was it? Chip's reply was him pulling the musical equivalent of "It's my ball and I'm going home.", where he came out and said he wasn't replying again as it was below him. The Bugzy Malone video has hit 1,000,000 views which in British Hip-Hop/Grime is MASSIVE numbers.

He was supposed to release a new mixtape last night but it's been pulled due to a "bigger, better" project. If it's a full album then I expect it to smash a lot of Grime records when it comes to units sold.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Rather liking the new Villagers long player. Very understated (largely) acoustic mood piece; nothing revolutionary but very well done. Reminds me a bit of Noah & the Whale's 'First Days of Spring' for impact. Lovely.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Rather liking the new Villagers long player. Very understated (largely) acoustic mood piece; nothing revolutionary but very well done. Reminds me a bit of Noah & the Whale's 'First Days of Spring' for impact. Lovely.

Yes, yes it is. It's a lovely album. I have only listened a few times and already it's growing on me. And if you like perfectly enunciated singers then I'd also check out Emily Barker 'The Toerag Sessions' and This Is The Kit 'Bashed Out'.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
A few bands to check out for some of the post-punk and art rock fans on here.

Wire's new self-titled album is an extremely accomplished collection of tunes and comes highly recommended. Hard to believe that they've been going for 40 years now because there's no signs of excess nor any stale bits. Instead it's quite a full sounding album and lyrically there's a strong and acerbic delivery. Just one disconcerting thing about the album is a track called 'In Manchester' that in itself is a bloody great tune but the trouble is that the chorus sounds a bit like a song featured in one of the Count Arthur Strong Radio Shows called 'In Doncaster'. Fans of Count Arthur will know well, the tune I'm referring to so I couldn't stop giggling on the train this morning when listening to Wire.

Milky Wimpshake - 'Encore, Un Effort!'- I think they're originally from the early 90s and from the North East or somesuch. They play a very English indie sound with very amusing lyrics, fantastic wordplay and puns- Art Brut, Carter USM, The Smiths, Toy Dolls...that's who I'd lump them with and if you're fans of this then you'll love their new album. Just have a listen to this and tell me that you don't like it. (yes, they sing in French here but still sound v English...)

And a few for fans of music from Europe:

Alina Orlova - '88'. I first heard her when I went on holiday to Lithuania with fellow NSCers Wilko and Tony Meola's Loan Spell and was so impressed that I went out and bought both her albums that she'd released to date. I was going through a big Regina Spektor fanboy phase at the time and Alina has a similar sound helped in part with similar sounding singing accents although Ms Orlova has a slightly squeakier voice and her tunes are a little more quirky. Quirky? Perhaps I'm not being fair to her, she draws more on Russian/Polish folk music and so it sounds more unusual to my ears. This latest album doesn't break too much new ground, she's certainly no Bjork or Joanna Newsom but she's a lot more confident with this album in her own abilities and if you have a chance give it a go. I think Deletebeepbeep is also a fan of her music.

Hulda - 'Huldasound' Scandinavian electro-pop, this time from the Faroe Islands. Musically, I think the Faroe Islands looks more to the Icelandics than to the Scandinavian mainland and this album would be further proof of this, I think. I like it, it's fun, quite dark in places and sounds a bit like Gus Gus have had their hand in it (I don't know if they have or not - just sounds like it). Lots of stop/start electronica, chuck in some trip-hop and mix all together.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
A few bands to check out for some of the post-punk and art rock fans on here.

Wire's new self-titled album is an extremely accomplished collection of tunes and comes highly recommended. Hard to believe that they've been going for 40 years now because there's no signs of excess nor any stale bits. Instead it's quite a full sounding album and lyrically there's a strong and acerbic delivery. Just one disconcerting thing about the album is a track called 'In Manchester' that in itself is a bloody great tune but the trouble is that the chorus sounds a bit like a song featured in one of the Count Arthur Strong Radio Shows called 'In Doncaster'. Fans of Count Arthur will know well, the tune I'm referring to so I couldn't stop giggling on the train this morning when listening to Wire.

Agree about the Wire album; playing it right now, for the 7th time this week!

Off to see them live in Bristol next Thursday too.

Like the thunderous Killing Joke, Wire are a criminally under-rated and over-looked band, and still going from strength to strength having started in the late 1970s.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
Just listened to The Decemberists. Very much my cup of tea, cheers for the write ups :rock:

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
ignore - wrong thread

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Thought I might share this here if people don't mind. I was asked last night for my top 20 songs so far of 2015 and so I went through and selected the ones that I seem to return to time and again on my iPod. The list is fairly arbitrary when you get past the top 10 and there's a few that I didn't select that on another day would be in the list.
The top 10 are fairly solid.

1 Monophonics - 'Sound of Sinning' [Like Sly & The Family Stone in their absolute prime. Haven't heard a new funk tune this good in years]

[yt]HnrQVrGtc5M[/yt]

2 This Is The Kit - 'All In Cahoots' [Female folk singer with an incredible voice. Hairs on the back of my neck when I first heard this]

[yt]J20UFjBTtCg[/yt]

3 Soko - 'Lovetrap (feat. Ariel Pink)'[80s style pop]

[yt]sqk9OYm4k0w[/yt]

The rest:
4 Daniel Knox - 'Blue Car' [Lounge singer crooning but done properly, not for ironic effect]
5 Dan Mangan 'Mouthpiece' [John Grant/Father John Misty fans will love this, I think]
6 BC Camplight - 'Love Is Nobody's Fault' [More than a passing nod to the Beach Boys and fantastic development throughout the tune]
7 Courtney Barnett - 'Pedestrian At Best' [Lyrics, delivery, the tune - young Aussie has everything to perfection here]
8 Lonelady - 'Bunkerpop' [Electro-pop with some incredible guitar picking. Lovely clean sound too. Expect big things of this Mancunian]
9 Ghostpoet - 'Be Right Back, Moving House' [My favourite track from a superb album]
10 Stornoway - 'The Road You Didn't Take' [Stornoway doing what they do so well, soaring harmonies that you could listen to forever]
11 All We Are - 'Ebb/Flow' [Young Liverpool band with a timeless sound to them]
12 Diagrams - 'Chromatics' [Title-track from his album that builds and builds into something quite special]
13 Prince Fatty Meets Nostalgia 77 - 'Marathon Man Dub' [Not so dubby as you'd expected. More jazzy but no nonsense and very infectious]
14 Seasick Steve - 'We Be Moving' [Highly recommend his new album. No fillers at all, this is my favourite]
15 Dengue Fever - 'Taxi Dancer' [Cambodian psychdelic rock. Great tune, really, really good]
16 Zero 7 - 'Last Light (feat.Jose Gonzalez)' [From a new EP, dream-like, hazy, classic Zero 7]
17 Samba Toure - 'Wo Yende Alakar' [Malian plays Blues guitar and does it brilliantly]
18 Sufjan Stevens - 'No Shade in the Shadow of the Cross' [I always hesitate to describe anything as bittersweet but this is err...bittersweet. And lovely]
19 Duke Garwood - 'Heavy Love' [Londoner does electric blues guitar and sounds like he should be from Mississippi]
20 Marika Hackman - 'Drown' [Comparisons with Nick Drake are not without substance]

I'd be interested to hear what others have as their picks for 2015.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm enjoying the new East India Youth album. He's moved into an overall slightly more poppier sound but there's still a range of styles present on his new long player.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I really like this at the moment,

[yt]hbjUs9bxYl8[/yt]

From the album, The Silence, it is the soundtrack from a short science fiction film of the same name which is designed to be played live whilst the film is running. This has been up on Spotify since 2014 but is getting a physical release this week. For those who like Gazelle Twin and Haxan Cloak.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
What do we make of the Blur album? I think it's pretty good on first few listens but I doubt it'll be one I go back to a great deal.

HEALTH are back with a cracking new song and an album in June - http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/...m-death-magic-premieres-new-coke-video-watch/. Their last album Get Color was one of my favourites of the last 10 years or so, brilliant live band as well.

Ditto Metz, who return with the follow up to their awesome debut shortly - http://thequietus.com/articles/17766-metz-ii-review

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What do we make of the Blur album? I think it's pretty good on first few listens but I doubt it'll be one I go back to a great deal.

Only heard the lead track so far which I quite like. I was surprised to see it for sale on Saturday, but in the midst of other purchases I forgot to buy blur.

Flex Your Head

I posted this last night in the Indietracks thread, but if you think of it as a compilation album, it fits this thread too. There are plenty on here who will find something to cherish...

Oh yeah, 27 free songs from Odd Box in advance of the 5th (and allegedly final) Weekender which starts on Friday. There are soooo many great tracks on here...

https://oddboxrecords.bandcamp.com/album/odd-box-weekender-v

OBV.jpg

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The blur The Magic Whip vinyl album is just beautiful, truly beautiful.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here