Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albums Thread - 2015

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
A little late, but finally getting round to listen to the new Purity Ring album. Really liking it.

Gave the Action Bronson album a listen the other day and didn't get on with it at all, thought it was pretty weak. Rappers who rely on comedy tend to fall short when they move on to a full album IMO. Still got the new Earl Sweatshirt album to listen to, will hopefully get to it today.

At the 1/4 mark my top 5 of 2015 would be.

5.Enter Shikari - The Mindsweep
4. Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo & Youth
3. Open Mike Eagle - A Special Episode
2. Ghostpet - Shedding Skin
1. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly.

Whilst that top 5 will change throughout the year, I don't think my song of the year will. A must-listen for any Hip-Hop fans.

Last edited:

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Top 5 of the year to date - go on then, I'll play. I've been a bit slack though, I'll catch up.

Liturgy - The Ark Work
Vision Fortune - Country Music
Paper Dollhouse - Aeonflower
Rising Sun Systems (Legowelt) - Oberheim Space
Sleater Kinney - No Cities to Love

(Zun Zun Egui - Shackles Gift)

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
If you insist :

1. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
2. Pile - You're Better than This
3. Tobias Jesso Jr. - Goon
4. Father John Misty - I Love You Honeybear
5. Susanne Sundfor - Ten Love Songs

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What did you think? They are one of the loudest bands I have ever seen live. The sound quite literally hurts.

I'm liking it, I'm liking it a lot. It's definitely a sound/band you need to persevere with though. But I felt I knew this from the initial listen though.....which was odd. It's kind of like starting long distance running, it's tough but ultimately you know it's good for you and you'll ultimately benefit and enjoy it. The joy of this is that they have an extensive back catalogue for me to mine.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
In no particular order:

1. Sleater-Kinney
2. Public Service Broadcasting
3. Kendrick Lamar
4. Father John Misty
5. Ghostpoet

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
If you insist :

1. Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
2. Pile - You're Better than This
3. Tobias Jesso Jr. - Goon
4. Father John Misty - I Love You Honeybear
5. Susanne Sundfor - Ten Love Songs

Playing Bexhill 26 June. You probably knew that.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Steven Wilson - Hand. Cannot. Erase. Superb. Saw him play in Cologne last Friday, excellent show.

I know him but only though his production work with Opeth. I've always meant to give him/ Porcupine Tree a listen but have a little bit of a fear of the 'p' word. It gives me images of Mike Portnoy sized drum kits, 3 hour bass solos, concept albums based on Alex Jones conspiracy theories and portly balding pale men with curly ponytails discussing the relative merits of brand name amps.

Care to reccomend a starting place?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I know him but only though his production work with Opeth. I've always meant to give him/ Porcupine Tree a listen but have a little bit of a fear of the 'p' word. It gives me images of Mike Portnoy sized drum kits, 3 hour bass solos, concept albums based on Alex Jones conspiracy theories and portly balding pale men with curly ponytails discussing the relative merits of brand name amps.

If they're not wearing capes I don't bother with prog these days.

May 12, 2009

For Porcupine Tree I'd start with Deadwing which is the album I listened to first and for the solo material why not try the latest album.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think Ghost Culture will feature high in my 2015 top 5

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here