Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albums Thread - 2015

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
They used to always come to Brighton but we haven't seen them since 2011, I think. Caught them at the show they did on the Sunday of Jabberwocky last year in Shoreditch with 200 other lucky people. Whilst I'm not as keen on them on record as I used to be, live they are still absolutely amazing. Get in that front row and jump around...

I've said I'll even head up to London to see them, which is something I rarely do. Might avoid the front row, jumping, etc
While I've got you, are there any late March/April Brighton gigs you'd recommend?

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I've said I'll even head up to London to see them, which is something I rarely do. Might avoid the front row, jumping, etc
While I've got you, are there any late March/April Brighton gigs you'd recommend?

Did this for March - http://www.welovebrighton.com/featu...tures/best-live-music-in-brighton-march-2015/ though Brighton definitely lost out in the "which Ariel Pink will turn up" lottery. We got the lazy dickhead version.

Stara Rzeka is my big "you probably won't know" reccomendation from that lot. Some wonderful things going on in the Polish underground at the moment.

Other March stuff

Weds 25-Mar AK/DK
Sat 28-Mar Slum of Legs

I've not had a proper look at April yet - it looks a little thin to me (normally is with the world and their wife coming for TGE in May.) GNOD are unmissable if you are into your heavy psych, Jessica Pratt (though I'm not sold on her new one), James Holden, Braids, Ryley Walker, Ghostpoet and Tweak Bird as well as some better known stuff look good.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Did this for March - http://www.welovebrighton.com/featu...tures/best-live-music-in-brighton-march-2015/ though Brighton definitely lost out in the "which Ariel Pink will turn up" lottery. We got the lazy dickhead version.

Stara Rzeka is my big "you probably won't know" reccomendation from that lot. Some wonderful things going on in the Polish underground at the moment.

Other March stuff

Weds 25-Mar AK/DK
Sat 28-Mar Slum of Legs

I've not had a proper look at April yet - it looks a little thin to me (normally is with the world and their wife coming for TGE in May.) GNOD are unmissable if you are into your heavy psych, Jessica Pratt (though I'm not sold on her new one), James Holden, Braids, Ryley Walker, Ghostpoet and Tweak Bird as well as some better known stuff look good.

I'm glad I asked. I'm not familiar with AK/DK, but was intrigued by that description of Drums + Noise + Synth + Space (or whatever), and GDS always serves as an extra inducement for me. And that Stara Rzeka looks well worth a punt. Thanks as ever.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
It's out now.
d47a5880.jpg

Anybody with even a fleeting interest in Hip-Hop will understand why I'm so excited. Kendrick Lamar is well on his way to writing his name in to Hip-Hop stardom, his first two albums are both masterpieces and he blew up the internet 18 months ago when he murdered half of the current rap game and claimed he was the King of New York, despite being from Compton during his verse on Control by Big Sean.

His new album, To Pimp A Butterfly wasn't supposed to be released until the 23rd but it dropped today, and after my 1st listen I'm blown away. Heavy Jazz influences, deep rhymes and the usual Kendrick trick of having one story flow through the entire album. It's going to take a few more listens before I can really appreciate it, but the early signs are good. I think I'm going to LOVE this.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
It's out now.
d47a5880.jpg

Anybody with even a fleeting interest in Hip-Hop will understand why I'm so excited. Kendrick Lamar is well on his way to writing his name in to Hip-Hop stardom, his first two albums are both masterpieces and he blew up the internet 18 months ago when he murdered half of the current rap game and claimed he was the King of New York, despite being from Compton during his verse on Control by Big Sean.

His new album, To Pimp A Butterfly wasn't supposed to be released until the 23rd but it dropped today, and after my 1st listen I'm blown away. Heavy Jazz influences, deep rhymes and the usual Kendrick trick of having one story flow through the entire album. It's going to take a few more listens before I can really appreciate it, but the early signs are good. I think I'm going to LOVE this.
Ooh yes. Soon to be getting my hands on this. If it's even half as good as GKMC I'm in for an absolute treat.

Another couple of hip-hop releases I'm enjoying currently: Open Mike Eagle's EP, which I think it was mentioned a couple of pages back, nice little follow up to last year's "Dark Comedy", and probably my most listened to record so far this year. And then Your Old Droog (the hugely promising Nas sound-a-like) whose EP "Kinison" came out last month. Eagerly awaiting his first full-length.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Has anyone been listening to the album by Pile - it has pretty much smashed its way into my number 1 spot but then I'm a sucker for messy indie rock.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
Has anyone been listening to the album by Pile - it has pretty much smashed its way into my number 1 spot but then I'm a sucker for messy indie rock.

Devouring it right now. Excellent. Helping get through a very dull coding task.

They're playing the Green Door Store on 9th June.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
Ooh yes. Soon to be getting my hands on this. If it's even half as good as GKMC I'm in for an absolute treat.

Another couple of hip-hop releases I'm enjoying currently: Open Mike Eagle's EP, which I think it was mentioned a couple of pages back, nice little follow up to last year's "Dark Comedy", and probably my most listened to record so far this year. And then Your Old Droog (the hugely promising Nas sound-a-like) whose EP "Kinison" came out last month. Eagerly awaiting his first full-length.

What are your early thoughts on it? 4/5 listens in and I'm loving it. Not sure if it'll quite reach GKMC levels, but it's not going to be far off.

Aye, I was the one who mentioned the new OME tape a few pages ago, Dark Comedy Late Show is up there with Mural by Lupe Fiasco for my song of the year so far. New Action Bronson tape dropping next week too. Ludacris and Wale got albums to drop towards the end of the month too. Good month for Hip-Hop!

If you haven't already given them a listen then I'd suggest Joey Bada$$ - B4.da.$$ and Lupe Fiasco - Tetsuo & Youth

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
After numerous people telling me I should listen to Swans I have bought one of their albums and am now going to listen to it

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
The more I listen to How To Pimp A Butterfly the more I love it, brilliant album. I'm almost certain it'll be AOTY for me, it's just... perfect.

Yep, given it a decent number of listens now - he doesn't disappoint. Densely packed with sublime storytelling once again, just on another level to everything else the genre has to offer currently.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
New album May. Sounds like he's doing War On Drugs doing their Tom Petty/Bob/Brooce mash up....mixed feelings on this at mo.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
After numerous people telling me I should listen to Swans I have bought one of their albums and am now going to listen to it

What did you think? They are one of the loudest bands I have ever seen live. The sound quite literally hurts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here