Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Albums Thread - 2015

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Had the new Young Fathers long player on heavy rotation the past few days. Takes time, a bit more chilled than their debut, but it's another great album for 2015.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I like the new Godspeed album, and thinks it works as a whole, the second and third 'drone' tracks bookending two wonderful soundscapes.
And this year's album that no-one seems to have mentioned that is just excellent is Matthew E White's Fresh Blood. Its arrangements are simply stunning, the songs are divine, and he's a real wit. I think it's better than his much lauded debut.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
Mon 11:

Blanck Mass
Tallest Man On Earth
Roisin Murphy

Hurrah!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No one else liking the new Doldrums long-player?

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1

From new long player due July.

Edit: Already been taken down. It was Jason Isbell 'children of children' - good outro

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Today it's all about the new Hot Chip long player

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm in full summer mode now and currently enjoying the sunshine tunes of Hot Chip, Django Django and a bit of Seth Troxler for good measure.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
A bit of a catch up on 2015 records today

Braids - Into The Iris: I really liked Braids first record and I somehow managed to miss their second. The sound on their theirs has had something of an evolution, couldn't get into it immediately but have a strong feeling this is a bit of a grower.

Lower Dens - Escape From Evil: Lower Dens must be one of the most underrated bands in the world right now. If perhaps their first two records may have been a little too obfusque for more mainstream indie tastes, this one treads just the right line between complex and accessible. Kraut informed, shoegazy but most of all a set of killer songs. They were cracking at GDS the other week.

Metz - ii: No discernible sign of progression, did we really think there would be? Ugly but yet well structured and catchy noise rock for people that think Pissed Jeans have sold out. Will be utterly paint stripping live.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Am enjoying that Mbongwana Star album: it's full of energy, and sounds like nothing else. Less impressed with the new Cave and Ellis film score, especially in comparison with their earlier filmic output.
I might be wrong on this, but there hasn't been too many mentioning Matthew E White's Fresh Blood which is probably my album of the year so far.
I heard one track from Thee Oh Sees new one on Marc Riley last night: sounds awesome, would others concur?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Not heard Thee Oh Sees yet. I nearly bought it today, but then didn't for some reason that I can't quite explain, even to myself. I will probably relent soon.

I am really enjoying Django Django's new one, not that it's much of a progression from the first.

Blur's Magic Whip has surprised me with just how wonderful it is.

Untethered Moon by Built to Spill is also rather nice.

I will give Matthew E. White a listen - which I haven't done with his first album for quite some time, probably why I haven't bothered with this one.

But mainly, recently, I seem to have gone back into a rotation of Super Furries albums. It's great to listen, regularly, again. There you go.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Big fan of Thee Oh Sees new album. I've been listening to a LOT of new albums of late (was loaned a load of promos) and might try to summarise a few on here although I stopped last time as I wasn't sure anyone was reading them and so I thought I was just wasting time and energy.

Blur's new album is growing on me but does strike me as an album in two parts, the first part is a little too geezer-ish and harks back to the Parklife-era. The second half is a little more introspective and far more to my taste. I guess I've got to that stage where I prefer Albarn's solo stuff where he's far less sarcastic and laddish.

Matthew E White's new album could easily have been CD2 from his previous which was consistently good. I like it but there's no progression. Mind you, if it ain't broken...

Other albums I've been impressed with in the last few weeks:
The Crocodiles 'Boys' is far poppier and a lot tighter than anything they've done before.
Regal Degal 'Not Now' is pretty superb.
Jon DeRosa has delivered something special.
I love Summer Camp's album - it sits somewhere between the Pipettes and the Ting Tings first albums.
Jamie XX's new album is bloody lovely, one horrible auto-tune track aside.
Girlpool is another I'd heartily recommend.
Nocturnal Sunshine (Maya Jane Coles alter ego) has been played a lot and if dubby techno is your bag then this might interest you.

There's a fair few more but the album that has grabbed my attention and won't leave it alone is Shamir with his album 'Ratchet'. He's a 19 year old (or thereabouts) from Vegas and he's making the kind of dance music that restores my faith in American electronic music. He doesn't bother with massive drops and those awful cock-rock EDM DJs (Steve Aoki/Diplo etc etc) and far more towards the likes of Prince. Instead he makes some very infectious funky disco and electro music. The kind that puts a smile on your face and makes you think "yeah, I could pull some shapes to that and actually enjoy it".

Check this out for a feel of what he's up to

Oh...there's also Shilpa Ray, Little Wings...I think I might just give a better and more informative description later this week.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here