Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Albion will target Chris Hughton to be their new manager if they cannot land Tony Pulis'

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Which just says that in TB's view, he could have spent the budget more wisely. It does not mean that the budget may still be potentially holding us back, however. I am not saying that our budget needs to change - I have said all along that we have to be extremely savvy in the transfer market. If someone else can get more out of it then great, that is excellent news, but sacking Burke is not necessarily the answer to all of our problems in the transfer marker, which some on here seem to think it is.

Again I agree but potentially we won't be wasting money on the likes of Agustien, Obika, Lita, Rodriguez, Gardner, COG, Toko, Monanka and Ckicksen to name a few.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Can you not read? Where have I defended DB? I agree, he was correctly sacked as he was ultimately responsible for the failings in the transfer market.

All that has changed though is that he has gone - everyone underneath him is still there and the budget has not changed. If you are expecting the club to sign magnificently good players all of a sudden just because DB has gone, don't hold your breath. This is not a "have a blank cheque book, do what you like" type restructuring for the new manager, which I suspect is what Pulis will want. All that has happened is the man responsible for incoming transfer activity has got the chop.

All I am pointing out is that we do not know at the moment how much of our failings was down to DB and how much down to the budget.

We do know, unless you are calling Tony a liar that is. I suggest you are the one that needs to learn to read and listen to the news coming out of the club.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Again I agree but potentially we won't be wasting money on the likes of Agustien, Obika, Lita, Rodriguez, Gardner, COG, Toko, Monanka and Ckicksen to name a few.

We will continue wasting even more money on different highly paid Premier League players who are also not very good, have no doubt about that as that is the nature of the beast. Hopefully not so many though.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Which just says that in TB's view, he could have spent the budget more wisely. It does not mean that the budget may still be potentially holding us back, however. I am not saying that our budget needs to change - I have said all along that we have to be extremely savvy in the transfer market. If someone else can get more out of it then great, that is excellent news, but sacking Burke is not necessarily the answer to all of our problems in the transfer marker, which some on here seem to think it is.

I see, so what you are saying is we may have failed in the area of recruitment for budget reasons, despite this being our most expensive squad ever (in terms of wages). Hmmm. Well, like Tony, I lay the blame for our shambles of a summer of recruitment firmly at DB's feet. The only mistake Tony made was not sacking DB (and Sami) sooner, about 2 months sooner.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
We will continue wasting even more money on different highly paid Premier League players who are also not very good, have no doubt about that as that is the nature of the beast. Hopefully not so many though.

Will we? How do you know that? Wouldn't DB's track record on player recruitment suggest his judgement was poor. Compare with, for example, the recruitment when Gus was taking the lead here. You seem to have a very negative outlook. Look what other clubs with similar budgets have achieved / are achieving. I'm thinking Burnley, Derby, Ipswich et al. Interestingly, someone from Derby is now our head of scouting...

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
I see, so what you are saying is we may have failed in the area of recruitment for budget reasons, despite this being our most expensive squad ever (in terms of wages). Hmmm. Well, like Tony, I lay the blame for our shambles of a summer of recruitment firmly at DB's feet. The only mistake Tony made was not sacking DB (and Sami) sooner, about 2 months sooner.

No, I am saying that budget MAY be part of it. MAY. That's M A Y. May.

No-one is denying that DB is responsible for the summer shambles, as you refer to it. But if you think that all of our recruitment issues have suddenly disappeared because DB has gone, then I would suggest that you need to think again.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Oh good god. Please enlighten me as to what I have missed then. DB sacked, Paul Winstanley now head of scouting. What else?

Tony stating this is our most expensive squad ever. DB himself saying he has sufficient budget. Other than that, nothing. Get up to speed.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No, I am saying that budget MAY be part of it. MAY. That's M A Y. May.

No-one is denying that DB is responsible for the summer shambles, as you refer to it. But if you think that all of our recruitment issues have suddenly disappeared because DB has gone, then I would suggest that you need to think again.

I just seem to have a more positive attitude about Tony removing the one most obvious barrier to our future success in the area of recruitment... still, if you want to view the future with negativity, that's up to you... enjoy!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Will we? How do you know that? Wouldn't DB's track record on player recruitment suggest his judgement was poor. Compare with, for example, the recruitment when Gus was taking the lead here. You seem to have a very negative outlook. Look what other clubs with similar budgets have achieved / are achieving. I'm thinking Burnley, Derby, Ipswich et al. Interestingly, someone from Derby is now our head of scouting...

I know that because no manager in the history of football has a 100% record in successful transfers. I am not negative at all, I am actually extremely positive, but I am also realistic to realise that just because we now potentially have a football manager in charge of transfers that everything is suddenly going to be cured. I know what other clubs on similar budgets are achieving and that is what we have to aim at, but I am also realistic enough to not suddenly expect everything to be rosy because we have sacked one person.

The new manager will NOT get every signing he wants, we WILL lose out on players that we perhaps should be in the running of signing and we WILL waste more money on players that are actually not very good in the future, that is for sure.

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I know that because no manager in the history of football has a 100% record in successful transfers. I am not negative at all, I am actually extremely positive, but I am also realistic to realise that just because we now potentially have a football manager in charge of transfers that everything is suddenly going to be cured. I know what other clubs on similar budgets are achieving and that is what we have to aim at, but I am also realistic enough to not suddenly expect everything to be rosy because we have sacked one person.

The new manager will NOT get every signing he wants, we WILL lose out on players that we perhaps should be in the running of signing and we WILL waste more money on players that are actually not very good in the future, that is for sure.

Agreed. However, we will have to 'go some' to have a worse recruitment record than the one we have 'achieved' since Gus left and, especially, in the last couple of windows. I never claimed we would suddenly hit 100% success BTW. However, I will be amazed if there is NOT a substantial improvement, despite our pulling power actually declining thanks to Sami and Dave's oh so obvious failings, and our current league position.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Agreed. However, we will have to 'go some' to have a worse recruitment record than the one we have 'achieved' since Gus left and, especially, in the last couple of windows. I never claimed we would suddenly hit 100% success BTW. However, I will be amazed if there is NOT a substantial improvement, despite our pulling power actually declining thanks to Sami and Dave's oh so obvious failings, and our current league position.

Agreed.

All I am really saying is that we do not actually know just how much influence DB had or if there are other areas that need sorting out as well. Usually, someone in that position would get advice from his team and the management team and act accordingly. We call them DB's signings but the reality was that the signings were done by an entire team of people (unless, of course, that DB was ignoring them and doing it all himself). A new manager will have more influence, undoubtedly, but if the advice he gets from our existing team is dodgy, then he too will make some dodgy decisions. Perhaps DB was pointing his team in the wrong direction and the new man will change this? There are all sorts of things that could have gone wrong, so I am not going to assume that sacking DB will sort everything out. Not Andy Naylor made a very good point on the Albion Roar special re our circle of influence and perhaps it was not what it should have been under DB? We will only have a better idea of course once the new man is in place and this transfer window is done and dusted.

I am not saying that DB's sacking is a bad move, just that perhaps there are other things at the club that are not quite right as well (not that I know - I am just speculating).

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Do you have any PROPER reasons for not wanting Sherwood in?

(I'm not saying I think he's the man for the job but quite simply your reasoning was ludicrously petty)

Yes I've meticulously analysed Sherwood's team's win ratio, results after defeats, formations used, possession statistics, average efforts on goal, substitution successes, player injury records, coaching badges. This helped me to make my mind up. I hope he doesn't get the job because he. is. a. ****.

Still he is better than Hyypia or Jones so I wouldn't be that upset.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Yes I've meticulously analysed Sherwood's team's win ratio, results after defeats, formations used, possession statistics, average efforts on goal, substitution successes, player injury records, coaching badges. This helped me to make my mind up. I hope he doesn't get the job because he. is. a. ****.

Still he is better than Hyypia or Jones so I wouldn't be that upset.

That would be a lot more reasonable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here