Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

'Albion will target Chris Hughton to be their new manager if they cannot land Tony Pulis'

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Getting pulis on board would certainly give you a chance to stay up but it isn't guaranteed . He needs a certain type of player at his disposal and I can't see many of that type in your squad . Also he needs money , lots of it , in salarys for him and his close group of coaches ( kemp and Francis ) that's not including the host of new signings he would need to make . Our little run of success has been by getting new managers to adapt their style to suit our players strengths which seems to work , holloway nearly ****ed up by trying to change that style but he reigned it in and scrapped through .
I can't see pulis taking it but if he does a lot of your purist :) fans will have to be tolerant and no banners ! . Make no mistake this is a big decision for bloom one which he could quite easily bust .

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Do you not think we will bring in someone else that does the SAME job, but better?

Am not sure about that on the recruitment side. Certainly the structure beneath DB is still the same, with Paul Winstanley moving up to be head of the scouting network. Perhaps his role with the academy and his other responsibilities will be taken by someone else? This does not however strike me as a scrap the whole thing and let the manager be in charge of everything type restructuring.

It will certainly be very interesting to see whether the new manager has more success on the first team recruitment front, as then we will see how much of the problems were caused by DB and how much by the budget.

DanielT

Not convinced Pulis will come after hearing him on talksport say: "I don't want to be disrespectful to anybody. If anybody rings us, then I will talk to anybody, and we will work it out from there."

That sounds like "I don't want to complain but..."

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Am not sure about that on the recruitment side. Certainly the structure beneath DB is still the same, with Paul Winstanley moving up to be head of the scouting network. Perhaps his role with the academy and his other responsibilities will be taken by someone else? This does not however strike me as a scrap the whole thing and let the manager be in charge of everything type restructuring.

It will certainly be very interesting to see whether the new manager has more success on the first team recruitment front, as then we will see how much of the problems were caused by DB and how much by the budget.

Still trying to defend then David.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy

Saw this guys name mentioned, he's been promoted pretty rapidly! He was a fairly junior member of Derby's coaching team back in a May, performance analyst I believe, whatever that is. A fairly meteoric rise....

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Makes me laugh how Pulis was an agricultural oaf on here not so long ago but now he is the saviour.

Joe Pineapples

Mar 28, 2010
Brighton
There is no evidence that Sherwood is a knowledgeable manager or would be a good fit for this club. A brief spell in charge of Spurs, riddle with questionable tactical decisions? "Credible" reputation with youth talent? "Passionate" English spirit? If this is what people are demanding become our new full-time manager, then it beggars belief and we deserve whatever we get. We need a steadying hand right now, not someone as unproven as Sherwood.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Saw this guys name mentioned, he's been promoted pretty rapidly! He was a fairly junior member of Derby's coaching team back in a May, performance analyst I believe, whatever that is. A fairly meteoric rise....

He came into the setup in August(?) as recruitment manager, so changes have been being made for some time. He has done more scouting than coaching in the past though I think.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
And you are still banging the same the same drum then John.

What do you think this restructure is then?

Very Pleased that we are returning to having a manager with the scouting team, it appears reporting to him. I think thankfully Bloom has realised Head of Football/ Director of Football, does not seem to work in this country.

To be honest I am surprised you were not moved sideways to look after the academy , because you seemed to doing good work in this area.

Last edited:

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Do you not think we will bring in someone else that does the SAME job, but better?

No. Bloom has re-structured recruitment. Do keep up.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Very Pleased that we are returning to having a manager with the scouting team, it appears reporting to him. I think thankfully Bloom has realised Head of Football/ Director of Football, does not seem to work in this country.

Fair enough - not sure about the second bit though as that surely depends upon who is in the Director of Football job.

It will still be interesting to see how transfer dealings will change though as I am still not convinced that the problems were purely down to DB (even though he has to take responsibility for the failings). The budget is unlikely to change this season at least, so unaffordable players will still be unaffordable.

Now that DB has left, I am also interested to see what you are going to post about on here from now on! :smile:

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Fair enough - not sure about the second bit though as that surely depends upon who is in the Director of Football job.

It will still be interesting to see how transfer dealings will change though as I am still not convinced that the problems were purely down to DB (even though he has to take responsibility for the failings). The budget is unlikely to change this season at least, so unaffordable players will still be unaffordable.

Now that DB has left, I am also interested to see what you are going to post about on here from now on! :smile:

Hopefully we will be discussing how we have made some great signings on the same budget as Burke had, fingers crossed.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
It is VERY clear that the decks have been cleared for the new manager to take a far more active role in first team recruitment, and this is long overdue but extremely welcome. Face the reality KZNSeagull. The system under DB failed. He was correctly sacked.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not convinced Pulis will come after hearing him on talksport say: "I don't want to be disrespectful to anybody. If anybody rings us, then I will talk to anybody, and we will work it out from there."

That sounds like "I don't want to complain but..."

It sounds to me like, I'll listen but then put the phone down, laughing at the offer.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
It is VERY clear that the decks have been cleared for the new manager to take a far more active role in first team recruitment, and this is long overdue but extremely welcome. Face the reality KZNSeagull. The system under DB failed. He was correctly sacked.

Can you not read? Where have I defended DB? I agree, he was correctly sacked as he was ultimately responsible for the failings in the transfer market.

All that has changed though is that he has gone - everyone underneath him is still there and the budget has not changed. If you are expecting the club to sign magnificently good players all of a sudden just because DB has gone, don't hold your breath. This is not a "have a blank cheque book, do what you like" type restructuring for the new manager, which I suspect is what Pulis will want. All that has happened is the man responsible for incoming transfer activity has got the chop.

All I am pointing out is that we do not know at the moment how much of our failings was down to DB and how much down to the budget.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Can you not read? Where have I defended DB? I agree, he was correctly sacked as he was ultimately responsible for the failings in the transfer market.

All that has changed though is that he has gone - everyone underneath him is still there and the budget has not changed. If you are expecting the club to sign magnificently good players all of a sudden just because DB has gone, don't hold your breath. This is not a "have a blank cheque book, do what you like" type restructuring for the new manager, which I suspect is what Pulis will want. All that has happened is the man responsible for incoming transfer activity has got the chop.

All I am pointing out is that we do not know at the moment how much of our failings was down to DB and how much down to the budget.
I actually agree with you post up until the last line, Bloom has already stated that Burkes business not only under Hyppia but also with Garcia, that Burkes transfer dealings have been poor.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Not Sherwood please. That salute he gave Adebayor when he scored was the most cringy thing I've seen a manager do.

Do you have any PROPER reasons for not wanting Sherwood in?

(I'm not saying I think he's the man for the job but quite simply your reasoning was ludicrously petty)

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
I actually agree with you post up until the last line, Bloom has already stated that Burkes business not only under Hyppia but also with Garcia, that Burkes transfer dealings have been poor.

Which just says that in TB's view, he could have spent the budget more wisely. It does not mean that the budget may still be potentially holding us back, however. I am not saying that our budget needs to change - I have said all along that we have to be extremely savvy in the transfer market. If someone else can get more out of it then great, that is excellent news, but sacking Burke is not necessarily the answer to all of our problems in the transfer marker, which some on here seem to think it is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here