Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Albion to launch matchday travel scheme review

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
My error I should have classified that fact (Not match day )
It was more an example of the DFT s incompetence and inability to plan ahead Despite protestations at the time about reducing the diesel rolling stock on those lines
After wasting money on extending platforms
Yes the DfT is a complete shitshow, I just don’t see how Southern can improve the Brighton - Falmer - Lewes service at this point. I get peoples frustration with matchday service on other lines, but we get a very good service really for a football stadium. After going to Coventry on Sunday, Reading the mess about their brand new station for Matchdays, that can’t be served on matchdays made me realise how good our service is.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I’d like to see shuttle buses running from a few locations in town eg some from The Level, and some from around Hove station / The Goldstone, to somewhere around the base of Stanmer Park. Somewhere they can turn around and shuttle back again, avoiding the worst of the traffic, allowing the same few buses to run at around 5-10 minute intervals. Would leave a short walk to the ground for those able, and would provide a viable option vs the train.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I’d like to see shuttle buses running from a few locations in town eg some from The Level, and some from around Hove station / The Goldstone, to somewhere around the base of Stanmer Park. Somewhere they can turn around and shuttle back again, avoiding the worst of the traffic, allowing the same few buses to run at around 5-10 minute intervals. Would leave a short walk to the ground for those able, and would provide a viable option vs the train.
P&R already takes up virtually every spare bus in the area apparently……….

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Do we need to start talking about player values in buses? Selling Caicedo would buy a lot of buses.
Even selling Connolly should be able to fund a few second hand ones
You’d be amazed at the price of a new bus, Caicedo would probably bus us 4 lol.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
With the Bridge parking, is there any reason (apart from irritating the residents) why cars can't exit along the road before the tunnel - Lucraft Road to speed up departure or is this blocked off/part of the agreement?
No real reason beyond right (north?) turns are easier (as is getting to coldean lane). If you go along lucraft and go round under the bridge by woollards, the first turning onto the main road near the bottom of Coldean lane is left turn only meaning you have to either go along barcombe to almost moulsecoomb way to turn right, or try a u-turn at the entrance of wild park where you're also fighting against cars that parked in wild park trying to get out. Or, if you turn left at the end of lucraft and go up halland road up to come down moulsecoomb way and turn right on to the main road.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
No real reason beyond right (north?) turns are easier (as is getting to coldean lane). If you go along lucraft and go round under the bridge by woollards, the first turning onto the main road near the bottom of Coldean lane is left turn only meaning you have to either go along barcombe to almost moulsecoomb way to turn right, or try a u-turn at the entrance of wild park where you're also fighting against cars that parked in wild park trying to get out. Or, if you turn left at the end of lucraft and go up halland road up to come down moulsecoomb way and turn right on to the main road.
Thanks for the reply - good to know. I do wonder if its worth at least allowing to let a few cars go that way.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
The club is snookered, back to basics wrong place without infastructure. More busses? Where to park them? Roads cant cope. Can only improve trains more carriages would help. Trains Falmer to Lewes arriving where only first few carriages fit on platform is a mess; could maybe sort stuff like that out that arguably wont cost money. How many fans physically leave travelling post match towards Woodingdean? Maybe some scope there but really its the train or even more strain coming/going. A few more bike racks will be drop in ocean. Everything goes back to a sh1tty sardine train service. I fail to see what the club can do. The train service have always held the upper hand.

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Seagull Travel. Very good service but now very expensive ( frustrating for users as surcharge on ST for transport ) and understand because of this not many running at full capacity. Maybe should put out to tender to give other companies opportunity to quote.
Why would the club go to tender for an operation they don't own or manage? ST might be an official partner but are not the only provider out there - plenty of other buses and coaches in the coach park for each game from other groups. NWSS seem to run a popular service for that part of the County and there are other small groups who provide similar service from other areas but I guess those who organise this have no desire to expand their network.

ST have come up with a business that works for them and for many customers due to convenience, not being near the rail network, etc. If any other company wants to come up with a rival service there is nothing to stop them but there is a limit to the number of coaches and drivers available to deliver these services and they will face the same rising costs for fuel and driver wages.

When you talk about a surcharge on ST, the surcharge is that, as others have said, the travel subsidy was withdrawn from all of the companies a few years ago.

If they decide to take away the train subsidy or greatly reduce the area covered, a guaranteed seat on the coach might seem more attractive for many people when compared to having to pay for an unreliable train service with large queues and standing for much of the journey.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here