[Albion] Albion to launch matchday travel scheme review

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I’d like it to be “more trains”.

I fear it’ll turn out to be “cut the free train service to just Brighton - Falmer - Lewes.”

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
Further thoughts if its scrapped can you imagine getting through the stations showing a ticket will the railway barriers respond differently?
You’ll never show a ticket at either Brighton or Falmer stations on a matchday, just like you never do when there’s a cup game currently so even if it’s scrapped you’ll never have a reason to buy one for the last leg.

As someone else has already said, I’d imagine it’ll get scaled back to Lewes and Brighton.

Either way, working out ways to make fans pay more (which is exactly what they’ll be doing) is pretty poor while they’re raking in PL money. The extra 50 quid or so that you will probably have to come up with per season will probably cover around 30 seconds of Lewis Dunks next pay rise.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

The club's board of directors and executive team, in conjunction with the Fan Advisory Board, are planning to review the matchday travel scheme, which has been in operation since the Amex opened in 2011.

No changes will be made for next season, 2023/24, but the club are considering options for the 2024/25 season onwards, with the following objectives:

• To investigate if there is a fairer model with better choice for fans, currently there is a 'one-size-fits-all' approach and some fans benefit more than others
  • To continue to liaise with third-party providers and the local authority (as we do proactively and continuously) to investigate improvements for fans
  • To review current legislation, which can be restrictive, and see if red tape can be removed to make it easier and more cost effective for the club and fans
  • To review costs for the club, which have increased considerably, particularly in the past year, and where possible remove those which are unnecessary or ineffective
  • Improve operational efficiencies and investigate if better use of data and technology can help improve the overall service and reduce club’s costs
Predict 1,000 posts before the end of next season.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
In terms of exiting that car park, which I agree is horrendous, I'm really not sure what can be done.

That volume of vehicles all trying to leave at the same time, single-file, through a narrow runnel and immediately hitting a major set of traffic lights is not going to be easy to improve in any meaningful way.
Along with the Village Way traffic lights, perhaps for the lights to be taken over at that time by a proactive traffic policeman (with assistance) waving traffic through and halting traffic?

Where I’ve seen this on the past, it seems to speed up flows and is equitable, in that the copper targets the roads backing up most.

[Agreeing with @SWINDON SEAGULL]

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Only quote from PB in the past has been it is Out of there control so for them to be taking an interest is a big step forward. I have used all methods of transport.
Seagull Travel. Very good service but now very expensive ( frustrating for users as surcharge on ST for transport ) and understand because of this not many running at full capacity. Maybe should put out to tender to give other companies opportunity to quote.
Car Parking. Cannot see this changing and delays understandable with so many wanting to get away at same time, Hopefully at least some of Bennetts field will come back in use. If so, interesting that recent application were creating another exit .
Trains. I find it hard to believe for the large sum we must pay that we don't have some input into service to be provided. Maybe I am simplifying it but surely when original agreement was signed minimum service agreement was included. Eg Min no of carriages and no of trains in hour before and after games
Park and Ride Not a bad service from Mill Road but so often doesnt seem to have enough buses. Also frustrating have to get there so early to get a space.. Even more frustrating if full one has to travel across Brighton to Race course. What happened to assurance at time that the Mithras House park and Ride will be replaced.
Planning was given to widen steps to bus park and would be good to see this done. On basis can sometimes wait an hour for a P&R Bus after games I would also like to see shelter constructed for queuing area.
Also concerned twice was mention club want to review there costs and find it hard to think where this could come from.. On basis assume a profit is made for parking the only costs are to train/bus companies and running park and ride so will be interesting to see what they are considering

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Good - it’s annoyed me that posters always use ‘free travel’ as one of the reasons for high ticket prices (match day prices mainly). I have never used it personally so that matters not one bit - if anything I’m (like many thousand) subsidising the travel of other fans and then get it used as a reason to defend prices etc.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Good - it’s annoyed me that posters always use ‘free travel’ as one of the reasons for high ticket prices (match day prices mainly). I have never used it personally so that matters not one bit - if anything I’m (like many thousand) subsidising the travel of other fans and then get it used as a reason to defend prices etc.
Calling @chaileyjem .

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
This season getting on a bus to to Falmer for matches I’ve been asked to show tickets for everyone in our little group. Previously would just get on the bus wearing a scarf and the driver would wave you on.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
unless this is an exercise to show us how lucky we are, suspect this leads to reduction or end of the free travel.

point on legislation is curious though, what might apply here?

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
The stadium was built virtually total reliance on trains and unless it is about improvements here it will be a step backwards but how much can and will be improved? Aso so much is outta the clubs hands they are snookered.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This season getting on a bus to to Falmer for matches I’ve been asked to show tickets for everyone in our little group. Previously would just get on the bus wearing a scarf and the driver would wave you on.
I’m surprised they let you on.

06657743-AD1E-4797-BDE1-85F0E9B4BF33.png

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
obvious outcome as its costing club is no travel scheme and prices frozen (you'll be told you wouldve had an increase otherwise) BUT wasnt the allowance to build the stadium on agreement for a travel scheme? Further thoughts if its scrapped can you imagine getting through the stations showing a ticket will the railway barriers respond differently?
Then consider no rail transport club will have no obligation to provide free transport
whatever way you look at this is OBVIOUS the travel scheme will be scrapped - should it be? I argue no as believe it was conditional on the building of Amex
Another negative post…..could always wait for the review to actually take place ?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Anyone expecting any improvement by this is a fool.

Expect to be relieved of more money, or get nothing back depending on which camp you fall into. Meanwhile the millionaires get even more. Gotta protect yer wealth. Being super rich comes with expensives!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Anyone expecting any improvement by this is a fool.

Expect to be relieved of more money, or get nothing back depending on which camp you fall into. Meanwhile the millionaires get even more. Gotta protect yer wealth. Being super rich comes with expensives!
Damn right. Disgraceful how much that Bloom has taken out of the club

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Little known fact is that all those coaches parked up had their travel subsidy removed a few years ago. Costs went up £50 a season which means I pay into the travel subsidy but get nothing out of it. Should they decide to move the coach park where would they put them? Around 50 plus home & away coaches each game.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports