Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ajax Goal Celebrations - Beer Throwing Bans?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I can assure you that people were challenged at the time about the luzzing. We just didn’t expect anything to be done post match and didn’t come here complaining.
There were people around us so drunk they kept dropping beers but still went and got another.
My wife left the ground saying she didn’t want to go to any more away European games “if that’s what it’s going to be like”.
It also didn’t help that a female steward told her (while I was in the toilets post match) that the Ajax fans were animals and would be waiting for us to attack us.
Dis you get attacked by Ajax fans or was that a steward on a wind up?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As someone who isn't a heavy drinker maybe it's just me, but what is the point of shelling out so much money to do something you're too drunk to appreciate and don't remember after it's happened? If you wanted to get insanely drunk so you weren't aware of your own surroundings and then the next day remember absolutely nothing about it then surely you could have just stayed in Brighton?
Possibly an age thing but it's always been part of football. I went to loads of games in the late 80s / early 90s when I was a youngster where I can only remember what happened if it was particularly memorable. The five penalties at Palace was one. Losing 6-1 at Oldham another, but that's because I was sober as I was playing against their fans afterwards. But ask me the scores, scorers and how the goals went in for a lot of those games and I couldn't tell you. We'd start on the train from London, get to where we were going for opening time and use the game as a break in the drinking. I was totally battered for both York and Doncaster at home too - I just couldn't face saying goodbye to my 'home'.

However, I've calmed down a lot since I started taking my son. I'll have a couple before and after the game but nothing excessive generally. For Ajax I really wanted to remember the occasion so my big day / night out was Wednesday. On Thursday I took it easy and was glad I did with us playing so well and the slipperiness of the steps down after a while. But I've no problem at all with the younger ones having a good time and taking it to excess. I've been there and I wouldn't swap those away days thirty years ago and more for anything.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Possibly an age thing but it's always been part of football. I went to loads of games in the late 80s / early 90s when I was a youngster where I can only remember what happened if it was particularly memorable. The five penalties at Palace was one. Losing 6-1 at Oldham another, but that's because I was sober as I was playing against their fans afterwards. But ask me the scores, scorers and how the goals went in for a lot of those games and I couldn't tell you. We'd start on the train from London, get to where we were going for opening time and use the game as a break in the drinking. I was totally battered for both York and Doncaster at home too - I just couldn't face saying goodbye to my 'home'.

However, I've calmed down a lot since I started taking my son. I'll have a couple before and after the game but nothing excessive generally. For Ajax I really wanted to remember the occasion so my big day / night out was Wednesday. On Thursday I took it easy and was glad I did with us playing so well and the slipperiness of the steps down after a while. But I've no problem at all with the younger ones having a good time and taking it to excess. I've been there and I wouldn't swap those away days thirty years ago and more for anything.
I’ve no problem with drinking in general. Having a few beers works wonders for loosening the vocal cords before a game. But I think it’s pitiful to see someone staggering up the road, totally incapable and out of control. That’s a lack of self-respect, not to mention a massive waste of money. Worst of all though is the problems it causes other innocent people. The way some Brits behave overseas in particular is excruciatingly embarrassing.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Possibly an age thing but it's always been part of football. I went to loads of games in the late 80s / early 90s when I was a youngster where I can only remember what happened if it was particularly memorable.
Likewise. In fact, back then, being unable to recall anything of the actual game could be regarded as one the major positives. I'm not saying I was routinely incapable, but there was more than one occasion when I'd arrive in some northern lower league outpost for a Tuesday night game and navigate my way to the ground by heading towards the glow of the floodlights, only to find myself outside some random set of British Steel railway sidings. Happy daze.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I was at the very far left of the Albion fans, next to the thick plastic/glass screen with the Ajax fans beyond.

After the game, plastic glasses were flying in both directions. As I was next to the screen, they were flaying over my head.

Some of the glasses that still had beer in them were travelling quickly and, with the beer in them, were also heavy. Depending where they struck, particularly in the face, a fair amount of damage could be done.
At Leicester away I got hit by a full plastic plastic bottle at end of the game thrown from LCFC it hit top of my arm/shoulder and was like being thumped pretty hard. 6 inches higher I would have been decked if it had hit the side of my head. .

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth

Pretty much the same.
I’m not too fussed about flying beer in the heat of the moment. Oldish chap next to me just put his hood up on his water proof coat after the first goal went in, shrugged and said that’s what his hoods for. Been to plenty of gigs through the years where this goes on.
Different story if it’s deliberately aimed at someone with intent.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Watch this from 1.32 and you'll see how they are able to spot them so quickly. A quick message to the stewards in the away end and an ID check and you're spotted.

Cameras in Dutch stadiums are no joke.

Camera technology can be good but the debate was not about stewards intervention but retrospectively identify people via an image and to do that they must have images of all the fans related to tickets (not impossible) and have had enough cameras to cover all the fans with clear images.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Likewise. In fact, back then, being unable to recall anything of the actual game could be regarded as one the major positives. I'm not saying I was routinely incapable, but there was more than one occasion when I'd arrive in some northern lower league outpost for a Tuesday night game and navigate my way to the ground by heading towards the glow of the floodlights, only to find myself outside some random set of British Steel railway sidings. Happy daze.
You really have been missed. Keep posting. ;)

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Or - this is amazing, we're in europe and outplaying ajax - unbelievable. Heat of the moment, heart pumping, ramped up being belief, seen it done loads of times before on the telly, everyone thinks its great, no issues with it at Marseille, etc etc etc

Still pathetic, not trying to justify it, but the reactions on here and from the club are quite extraordinary. Dry cleaning, blood and concussion discussed, should be more than a 5 game ban - bloody hell, is that the price of sucess?
I'm not sure why it's extraordinary to write about actual injuries that actual people have sustained in similar circumstances.
Or hypothetical non-existent dry cleaning for that matter.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I do sometimes. And if I get punished for it, I’d have no complaints. Throwing any physical object in a football stadium is a complete no-no.
So let’s apply your idea of ZERO tolerance, fancy losing your licence for life? Even if you did not know that you were likely to be punished at all?

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Not sure why you need beer anywhere near the stadium,recall years ago we would hit the pub 11am have a good three hours+ drinking watch the game and get back in the pub before 6pm. Never saw the need to drink at the stadium.
Quite, back in the day the only ground I can ever remember having a beer in was Northampton (I think, or might by Bury) where I somehow ended up in the bar at the ground pre match and can remember watching the warm ups through a window. There were never really concourse either, lucky to find a rusty shack inside the away end sell some sort of food.

I really don't get pint throwing, I read that some "supporters" bought pints with no intension of drinking but for the sole purpose of chucking, just very strange, I have been involved in many "limbs" celebrations (the Forest Ulloa goal was probably the most memorable) but never felt the need to chuck anything.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Dis you get attacked by Ajax fans or was that a steward on a wind up?
They were absolutely delightful in my experience tbh. Lots of handshakes and chats pre-match, many congratulations in the bar we were in afterwards. Even had a really nice conversation with a security guard at Schiphol on the Saturday morning after he saw my blue and white scarf.

Heard of one issue on the train up but nothing else - especially after.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Got pretty soaked when the goals went in………partly luzzed beer and partly those holding beer nearby celebrating. There were more flying glasses after the second goal I think (as if a few took their lead from what happened after the first goal). It was overall minimal compared to the typical boxpark scenes when England score (for example) though - personally completely expected it with beer in the stands but anyone going to a game these days should be pretty aware that their every move is on CCTV so shouldn’t be surpised they’ve been pulled up over it. Have to say, though, did join in and have a good chuckle at our response when we were told off by the stadium announcer :laugh:
It was completely predictable that beer would go up in the air i.e. beer in stand +'happy/drunk' people + albion goal = mayhem

so if the club thinks its a serious issue then they should have prevented it by saying you can't take drink in the stand.

Also how to you separate people who threw arms up in the air , who had beer in a glass from someone who threw it up in the air deliberately.

I was there, enjoyed a drink watching, too tight assed to throw liquid gold in the air. Did get a bit wet but as was said by many was soaked anyway and some beer is not going to hurt.

It would be interesting to see more detail about this and was it more about people throwing plastic glasses around rather than beer and maybe throwing at Ajax fans.

Still leaves the question how do they do this retrospectively unless they have all our images in a database.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Still this is a debate based on a hefty amount of speculation and guesswork. As far as we can tell - one person - ejected by AJax Stewards for what (not clear- but related to throwing ) has also been given a 5 match ban and a ban from Athens. And the removal of the clubs limbs video. And thats it.
No confirmation of any other bans, retrospective ID, investigation or warnings, use of CCTV etc amongst the 3000 or so fans - and nobody else who might have had a ban has come forward - a week later despite multiple examples of beer flying in the air etc etc as confirmed by that video and the examples on this thread (and other social platforms).

. Its , as yet, not much of a crackdown.

Last edited:

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I would be pretty confident that everyone who's been banned was identified and some action taken by the stewards inside the stadium on the night. Using CCTV to spot individuals where people aren't necessarily in their designated seat would be nigh on impossible, unless they are using facial recognition to ID people, which would be very worrying.
That's what I was getting at - cameras are fine for picking out persistent people and identifying to stewards but retrospective means they have to correlate those images to something and seat location is a very dodgy method so has to be some sort of facial comparison. I thought people said , it was not just people nicked by stewards.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Still this is a debate based on a hefty amount of speculation and guesswork. As far as we can tell - one person - ejected by AJax Stewards for what (not clear- but related to throwing ) has also been given a 5 match ban and a ban from Athens. And the removal of the clubs limbs video. And thats it.
No confirmation of any other bans, retrospective ID, investigation or warnings, use of CCTV etc amongst the 3000 or so fans - and nobody else who might have had a ban has come forward - a week later despite multiple examples of beer flying in the air etc etc as confirmed by that video and the examples on this thread (and other social platforms).

. Its , as yet, not much of a crackdown.
I reckon it's one or two that overstepped the mark significantly, were identified and dragged out by stewards and handed over to our people, not simply anyone who let their drink slip when we scored. Would be good to see a club statement explaining - especially before Athens.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So let’s apply your idea of ZERO tolerance, fancy losing your licence for life? Even if you did not know that you were likely to be punished at all?
You really do seem to love your avenues of whataboutery. Extrapolating a 5 match ban for beer-luzzing to a lifetime ban for a driving offence is like comparing an apple to Philip Schofields favourite scatter cushions.

Completely abstract and pointless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here